Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azren
Feb 14, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I do love the characterization of the Doomguy in this. He's violent and pragmatic but he does have a few humanizing moments. He just has absolutely no patience for any of Sam's poo poo.

Yeah, I'm really loving the whole :fuckoff: thing he's got going in this. Looks like fun!
One important question: do they limit the number of weapons you can carry? Because that's not the Doom way. I was so ticked when Resistance 2 did that.

Also, I assume we're going to find out what this whole "Lazarus" thing is later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Only in the lovely Multiplayer and Snapmap (and Snapmap's limit is getting removed in the near future in a patch). Otherwise no, you can switch between an arsenal of guns freely, no two weapon bullshit.

radintorov posted:

To add to that, the multiplayer is a basically a Halo knockoff mixed with some CoD class-making elements made by a third party.
The singleplayer however is pure iD Software so you can carry all of the guns, though as shown in the video they did add the more modern element of weapon upgrading and alternate fire modes (speaking of, Explosive Shot owns :colbert: ).

Okay, I can deal with that. I have no need for smugglers who drop their cargo at the first sign of multiplayer stuff anyway.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

:corsair: Back in my day, we only had 150 Pokemon! 151 if we were lucky! And we were glad ta' have 'em!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

My inner beast is a baby emperor penguin.

Do lower difficulties provide you with a greater ammo capacity? The really small amount of shots you can carry would annoy me to no end, and it feels counter to the Doom feel.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Apep727 posted:

Okay, I know that gameplay and story are more segregated in this game than Mississippi in 1932, but I think I deserve some kind of explanation for how killing a bunch of demons stops a reactor from melting down. I mean, could we have at least gotten DG pushing a button or something? I don't think that's too much to ask.

Their... um... the demons' hellish presence suffused the area with... er... HELL-HOT, yeah! And the HELL-HOT was making all of the other stuff, normally only used to "molten-metal-and-reactor-core-hot," overheat, and so it was melting down. So killing all of the demons made all of the HELL-HOT-ness dissipate (which was expedited by the extra ventilation most of the deaths gave the demons), so it wasn't too... hot... any more. Yeah.

Marvelous comparison, btw.

azren fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 24, 2016

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

I don't know if they wanted the Doomguy to be the player's avatar, but if they have, they've failed spectacularly, and I'm glad they did!

I can agree with that; his whole :fuckoff: approach is definitely what sold me on this in from the very first video.

Also, how much longer is the game? Every video has me more and more interested in buying it. Also, for those on console, how does it play on PS4? If it's a terrible mess I'll probably have to give it a miss (crappy computer), but my interest is definitely piqued.

This is an acceptable/preferable reason for just about anything in this type of game. We always need more :torgue: in action games (the Marlow Briggs postulate).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I think Alexy is... a third of the way through, I wanna say.

Okay, that's pretty good.

Another bit of praise I forgot to give the game is how much I love the little touches; the way the Doomguy just pulls these heavy security doors open and some of the glory kills give a wonderful sense of power for the character/armor, and I'm infinitely pleased by the little "impact compensation" notification at the bottom of the screen when you fall from a height. It's like the game is telling you "nah, don't worry about falling damage, that's stupid and would get in the way of your ripping and tearing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Yeah, sold. Chalk up a purchase thanks to this lp.

• Locked thread