Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The plasma gun does seem to lack oomph compared with the 90s original. It's the weedy plib-plib-plib sound it makes on firing, I think. It does plenty of damage and seems quite effective, but it doesn't appeal to the player's senses the way the ballistic weapons do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The subtle, subdued storytelling in this game is really darn impressive. The moment Olivia came out with that line about how we couldn't have saved "them" (presumably the base crew), I instantly wanted to feed her her own eyeballs. The delivery is so perfectly contemptuous that it's a real gutpunch.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Apep727 posted:

I mean, seriously, how stupid do you have to be for "let's drain energy from Hell" to sound like a good idea?

I like the way he mentions it took decades to sell humanity on the concept. Presumably the human race in general thought this was a loving stupid idea too.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's strange that this is one of the few games where I actually feel like someone in a heavy power-assisted suit with great strength and armour.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I had the impression the company were standard cyberpunk megacorp #27, but their workforce grew into a cult from working with Hell all the time rather than being that way from the outset. Olivia's pre-recorded speech implies that not everyone on the base was in on the plan.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It is a rather odd choice of level in a Doom game. Especially a Doom game that has, until now, done such a good job of capturing the run-and-gun feel of the original.

I guess they had to have one jumping puzzle as a sacrifice to Astaroth?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I wonder if the relatively low damage is because it's intended to be fired constantly throughout a battle?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

GunnerJ posted:

The real question for me is why they didn't just kill him if they could remove his armor and store him and his armor in separate boxes

If they kill him, there's a chance his soul would go to hell. And then they're right back at square one.

I do wonder what Heaven makes of the Doom marine. "Hey, check out this mortal fighting...holy crap check out this guy!"

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I really like this take on Doomguy. His entire attitude in the first "episode" was fury and disgust over another bunch of idiots who clearly thought that exploiting Hell was completely safe because nothing bad could possibly happen to them. Because he's seen it all before, and he knows exactly where it ends up. Pass the loving chainsaw, here we go again.

White Coke posted:

If Doomguy is undergoing a futuristic retelling of Job, one has to wonder what'll happen when God decides he's suffered enough and rewards him for his piety.

That was the 90s Doom titles (or if we're being nasty, Doom 3).

This is his eternal reward.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
How much of a system hog is it? I'm very tempted, but I'm not sure my laptop could run it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You said the BFG gets three shots and is a room-clearing OHSHI~ button.

Did you mean three shots total? As in, you get three insta-clears and that's it, no ammo for you?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

George posted:

I'm still really disappointed by these Hell levels. They don't look enough like a twisted cathedral.

I think this second Hell level is where the budget and dev time started to run out. There's not as much care and precision in the object placement and encounter design.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That was a nice touch to include the original game's secret in that tribute section.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The way the Hell levels recreate some of the old Doom textures is a nice touch. I think I recognised the gothic room with the four slabs, too.

Did the big spinny wheels actually do anything after you unlocked both switches? I wondered if they were going for a Hexen-style clock tower motif. Did the figures on the ceiling animate?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's deeply ironic that the original Johnny Bazookahands kill-em-all character in PC gaming has been turned into one of the most sympathetic, simply with artful story beats and subtle animation touches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Moon in the sky with structures on it...the Doom Slayer's mark on the rocks...is that Deimos up there, still hanging around on the shores of Hell?

• Locked thread