Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

drat you've got some speed in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

If you don't mind me asking, Alexy, where are you from? I can't place the accent.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My inner beast is a capybara.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

They don't. Argent shards are the only way to increase the ammo limit. There's also an endgame upgrade that makes the ammo supply infinite subject to a certain condition, and, paired with appropriate weapon mods, it breaks the game.

Spaeking of. I've failed the recordings of missions 6 through 8 (no clue why), and the game doesn't let me reset the progress, so now I'm playing through the game again, and in order to make that as quick as possible, I chose the lowest difficulty. Turned out that the only things it affects are the aggressiveness of the monsters and the amount of damage that they deal. Neither makes the game go any faster, even if the challenge is completely removed from the game.

Heavy. Don't think anyone's think that's cheating tho.

When did games stop doing level selects, anyway?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Is it my imagination or are the glory kills slightly... underwhelming? They're nowhere near as meaty as some of the stuff I remember from RE4 or other games; the demons just don't seem to have any mass after being punched.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, I do agree that the unbreakable glass window shtick is kinda lame, especially with everything else done in the game. Would have made more sense to have had DG try and punch through the glass, or be subjected to some kind of electrical shock that would explain him not being able to do anything.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What is Burdon's rear end?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Are there separate ammo drops for weapons, or does each drop refill all held guns?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's obvious as to why you're so angry at the start; yer simply channelling Doomguy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, what would a cult dedicated to going to hell BE if not filled with masochists?

Also, drat those imps give those fireballs some giddyup.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Maybe the employees are a source of soular power.

Boo!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I don't know what's worse; that Argent energy is risking invasion to hell through their tech. or manipulating energy supply so as to deliberately increase prices for themselves!

Oh wait.

It's the hell thing that's worse.

Edit: In all seriousness, this I think is the worst level yet. This is NOT good design for a run-and-gun; what with timed platforms. A shame.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 26, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Should have just referred to it as the dimension of Heck.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, Olivia. When it comes to beings you can trust on keeping their word, I for some reason doubt the legions of Hell are high on that list.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Don't like the cacodemon design. Too flaccid, like a three-day-old balloon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Only good thing in that game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wow. That Chaingun sucks. It's got WAY too slow a rate of fire!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That was an impressive double kill at 20:25

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Good catch re. the Summoner/Archville.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Though on the bough I thought I felt a draught

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I thought you were just from like... Brooklyn or something? They speak funny on the East coast.

This might just equal the guy who thought Psych. Eyeball was from India.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That's the thing I love about language. You don't need to be 100% correct to be understood.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It seems perfectly obvious the closer you get to hell, the more staff you'll meet.

Hell is other people, after all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

C'mon Alexy, the shaft had a very important purpose. It was to serve as a sex machine to all the chicks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, I've watched White Sun of the Desert and the Diamond Arm, so I'm sure I won't even need subtitles.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What were all the Easter Eggs in that room, btw? I'm not well versed in Doom mythos.

Also, it's interesting how many representations of hell exist that are based from Dante's Inferno, yet almost all of them have fire and brimstone aesthetics while in the poem, the deepest realms of hell were ice and snow.

Also had the city of Dis, a horrible realm where one gets mocked by terrible rappers for all eternity.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Honestly, I kinda feel that the design of the Cybredemon is... Lackluster. It looks a little too goofy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Polaron posted:

So everyone may have noticed that there's a lot of artfully laid out candles in Hell. Someone has come up with an explanation why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WOWUfD_fuM

I had no idea the interior set designer for Wolf Hall lead an evil life...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Normally, I can't say I find the level design of this game anything to write home about. But that starting area was good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Something to be noted about the Cyberdemon's music.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, if those Pinkies were genetically modified, they'd probably need to have altered their demonoxyribonucleic acid!

C'mon, Genetics doesn't readily allow for puns; hell, the best I could come up with Hell was the city of Dis joke, fer Chrissakes.

Edit: Wow, that's... that's an incredibly depressing Russian saying there, chief.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 3, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Any ETA on an update, Alexy?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How was the city of a thousand melodies?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm sorry, the Cyber-Mancubus helmet makes it look really goofy.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 12, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh... my throat and nose are itching in sympathy upon hearing your voice, Lex. I do hope you get better soon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

If you don't mind me asking, what type of accent do you have? Admittedly, I am no Russian-language expert, but from what Russian media I've watched, many people have an accent that sounds... almost French? Whereas your accent is very clipped and precise, at least to my ear.

Also - again, apologies for the questions about Russian - you mention a few times that there are no direct translations of certain terms, e.g. Doomslayer and weapon upgrade points. Yet I notice that Russian for railgun is just 'railgun'. At the risk of sounding dense, how is this the case? I can understand slayer having no equivalent - there are many synonyms of it - but the others (to me) seem pretty... well... could only be described in one way.

Also, great LP as always, Alexy!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

A lot of times, especially for games terminology or more recent technological stuff, the common parlance has accepted to just use the English term for it. Sometimes it's because a literal translation would sound stupid, overly long or clunky, or it's already used up by something else.

Like in the new game Prey, where in the German version the main enemy type is still called the decidedly English-sounding mimic, because the closest German word to that, Mimik, means "facial expression" and not "tries to hide its presence by adapting an unassuming form"

Is there no German verb available that means 'to impersonate'? Or can you not 'make' nouns from verbs in German?

Edit: Also, what the heck is the difference in pronunciation of mimic vs mimik?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Some of the more surprising words that Russian seems to borrow are "parasite," "pilot," and "exoskeleton," unless this is the video game term exception.

Well, I would imagine parasite and pilot are of Greek derivation, though I thought skeleton was Romance. Interestingly, the Russian word for idiot is idiot (though I suppose it is more accurately pronounced 'idi-yot' with emphasis on the second syllable.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

Corroborated pedantry is the best pedantry!

So what's the correct term for 1 x 10^ 3 Kelvin? A superkelvin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

mortons stork posted:

Good work, dude! (chuvak? priyatel'?)

Tovarich, surely!

Also, why aren't railguns called Lorentz cannons? That sounds so much cooler.

• Locked thread