Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, finally managed to get and beat the game myself, so onto the LP!
Just, uh, thought you'd like to know. This really is the Doom the fans have been waiting for.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Apep727 posted:

Am I the only one who thought the pre-recorded spiel at the "employee of the month" area (or whatever that was) sounded a bit over-the-top with the cult-y terminology? I mean, come on, UAC, could you at least try to maintain the illusion of just being a regular, interplanetary megacorporation? You might as well just change the company's motto to, "UAC - just a front for a demon-worshiping cult."
Fairly sure that is completely intentional and played for laughs, the UAC has a very strong Scientology vibe in this game. Some of the UAC lore materials are completely amazing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 29, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

The documentary on this game pretty much says yes on this. Basically the deeper you get into the place the more likely youll meet a guy whos openly going to talk about how he is the next demon host for a baron of hell and its going to be wonderful. They are supposed to be crazy and they dont realise it.
The one that really stayed with me was the instructions on what to do in case of a demon attack but I think we'll find those much later in the game. Point is, UAC is over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek, cartoonishly evil and that's easily the best possible way to handle the Doom story.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 29, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

Fun fact: the Russian Orthodox Church is actually really similar to the UAC
Does that make the Russian government the demons?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think this is more of a statement of how awesome the railgun is. Easily my favorite weapon in this one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

You said the BFG gets three shots and is a room-clearing OHSHI~ button.

Did you mean three shots total? As in, you get three insta-clears and that's it, no ammo for you?
You can find ammo but it's extremely rare.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That is actually pretty drat awesome.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Yeah. All those little hand movements are bizarrely good at creating a real personality for our guy. Smashing up monitors that Dr. rear end in a top hat is talking through, fist bumping that one models, hesitating so that he can backup VEGA. All that really makes him seem like a really good guy, deep down.
My favorite bit is when Hayden is telling you something about carefully disarming an electronical device and Doomguy just gives a little nod and tears the thing out. Wonder why more games don't try to do a bit less obliging relationship of the main character with the guiding voice on radio.

Anyhow, I started replaying this and it's incredibly how much fun it gets on Nightmare. The fights become a lot more adrenaline-fueled when an imp can one-shot you with a charged fireball and the whole fighting really resembles the OG Doom bullet hell dance more than I would've thought possible in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a proper Quake reboot. That is, Quake 1 - none of that Strogg bullshit, just medieval castles interspersed with the occassional space station, lovecraftian horrors, your trusty battleaxe, nailgun and grenade launcher. And Ziggurat Vertigo gravity shenanigans.

Quake 4 was pretty fun but the Wolfenstein and Doom reboots showed there is no need to be afraid of wacky settings and action.

• Locked thread