Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

azren posted:

Yeah, I'm really loving the whole :fuckoff: thing he's got going in this. Looks like fun!

I can't help but think that he's kind of channeling the average player: "Stop bothering me with plot! Just shut up and let me shoot things!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Well, I guess it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Yeah, I think it's best example of this I can come up with is from this XKCD comic:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
The new size looks good to me. The text is a bit clearer, so I don't have to squint.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
So, are we ever going to get to punch Dr. I-don't-remember-his-name-and-really-don't-care in his stupid face? Because he needs to be punched in his stupid face.

Also, did anyone else :3: at the fist-bump of lil' DoomGuy?

Apep727 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 13, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I'm not asking for a time-stamp or anything, just confirmation of whether or not face-punching will occur. Because I'm sure we all want it to happen, but don't want to get face-punching blue-balls.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, semi-random question: am I the only one who keeps expecting the bodies with the key cards and upgrade tokens to move when you bend down to pick the thing up? I know it'd be cliche as hell, but my trope-trained brain keeps expecting it to happen.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, I know that gameplay and story are more segregated in this game than Mississippi in 1932, but I think I deserve some kind of explanation for how killing a bunch of demons stops a reactor from melting down. I mean, could we have at least gotten DG pushing a button or something? I don't think that's too much to ask.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Qrr posted:

Doom guy did press a button, which turned on the fans.

Then the demons showed up, because they really, really hate fans. Sure, they torture people in hell, but that's only because people create fans. loving fans.

And then it doesn't inform you that the reactor is fixed til all the demons are dead because it's busy informing you that it won't open the doors til all the demons are dead before that.

No, I think I prefer the "radiate supernatural heat" theory. I mean, what's more logical: that the guys who programmed the computers at this facility thought the "hey, we're putting this place on lock-down because demons" announcement took priority over the "hey, you managed to avert a core meltdown" announcement, or that demons generate special heat that can only be ventilated by blowing holes in them? Come on, man, it's common sense.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
A bit late on this, but I just want to say that I love that DoomGuy's solution to "shut down the power" is to just break the drat things. "When all you have is a hammer" and all that.

Also, Mr. Stupid-Robot-Face, I don't care that you "solved" a huge energy crisis - the fact that said energy is literally coming from Hell (and is probably a good part of why your facility is being overrun by demons right now) kind of out-weighs any benefits. I mean, seriously, how stupid do you have to be for "let's drain energy from Hell" to sound like a good idea?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
So, humanity doesn't even have the excuse of "we didn't know the energy was coming from Hell" as a defense. I think the human race in this game maybe kinda deserves this.

As for the centering the weapons thing, I don't see how it makes aiming harder - you're literally looking down the gun's barrel, just shoot whatever's in front of you. I will admit, though, that most of the guns don't look nearly as good from that angle. It is a nice classic-Doom throw-back, though.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Samovar posted:

Well, what would a cult dedicated to going to hell BE if not filled with masochists?

Wait, was it the cult that did that, or the company? I mean, we are talking about a megacorporation in a video game - casual disregard of basic morality is kind of standard.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
re: the sword thing

As cool as that would be, I can't remember any instances of good implementation of swords in a first person game, especially an FPS.

Also, they gave you a chainsaw, which is like a sword, only it causes more gore.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Aumanor posted:

??????????????

At a guess, I'm assuming the point that, despite "good" and "food" only having all but one letter in common, they're pronounced very differently. Which is weird. Google "English pronunciation poem" for more examples.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Am I the only one who thought the pre-recorded spiel at the "employee of the month" area (or whatever that was) sounded a bit over-the-top with the cult-y terminology? I mean, come on, UAC, could you at least try to maintain the illusion of just being a regular, interplanetary megacorporation? You might as well just change the company's motto to, "UAC - just a front for a demon-worshiping cult."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
When I took Russian back in college, the only curse word I was ever taught was their word for "pancake." I still have no idea why it's considered a curse word.

• Locked thread