Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm OK with the possessed soldiers having a gun like that for ~lore reasons~ that haven't come up yet (plasma rifle replaced the heavy assault rifle as standard issue for soldiers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A cool thing to read in a student's history essay: "Back in the 20th century..."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Look, gas prices got really high.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The plasma gun and shotgun both get overshadowed, but they also get alt fire modes that can keep them relevant: grenade launcher when you don't have any other splash damage options, stun bomb to do something no other weapon really does and can help you out with certain demons that charge your rear end.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Whoever was in charge of those character development moments for the Doom Marine needs a medal and creative control over more games.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Fallout games that aren't "out west" just feel weird to me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's also the first point where the game kinda breaks its "promise" about story in games, its the "don't give a gently caress" attitude where you only pay attention when NPCs force you to because they're sick of being ignored. Here we're stuck at the contrived plot device of the magic rocket-proof glass that they can make walls out of but not make armor out of. You just kinda sit there watching, not even able to test its durability.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Here's a question: At first, Hayden had to contact the Doom Marine through computer screens and such. At what exact point did he get the standard patch-through to a helmet radio? I don't even remember!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That just begs the question of why he didn't just do that at first.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Its useful for bosses because the resources they shed now and then tend to require you to get real close to them to pick up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The other question for me was "What else would be useful?" I tended to use a lot of glory-kill related runes in normal gameplay so in a context where that doesn't matter (and I never picked up on any pro-game-breaking combos) I just shrugged and picked what seemed OK. There were probably better choices.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TBH, I never thought the SSG was all that awesome until I got it fully upgraded.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

It's initial state is a little lackluster, but once it gets rolling the fun doesn't stop

Yeah. It's a solid upgrade from the regular shotgun that gets better with each upgrade. For me though it never really shined until that last one.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

azren posted:

Also, how much longer is the game?

I think Alexy is... a third of the way through, I wanna say.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The whole UAC/cult thing wasn't exactly subtle, but it was really well done in the sense that the slide from generic corporate marketing/PR jargon to drink-the-koolaid occult babble was seamless in its progression. If it wasn't an intentional side order of social commentary, it's nonetheless disconcerting how true to life even the creepier bits are in terms of tone and style to how any big business conveys its bullshit veneer of decency.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

double nine posted:

I donno, "you could not have saved them anyhow" pretty heavily implies impotence on doomguy's part. I don't think doomguy likes being told he can't/couldn't do something.

Her tone in that scene actually seemed genuinely apologetic or consoling, which was a bit creepy when I first came across it.

In any case, she knows as much as anyone that doomguy or not, you just can't beat cut scene glass.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Samovar posted:

Edit: In all seriousness, this I think is the worst level yet. This is NOT good design for a run-and-gun; what with timed platforms. A shame.

I think there's one worse level in the game. And just like this one, the one before it was so good!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

My impression of Mega Health as the "first successful fusion" is that all the other powerups (Berserk, Invulnerability, etc) are weird bits of hell majick that any time they try to infuse a normal person with it, they go crazy or have a heart attack or some poo poo. Whatever energy is behind Mega Health is they could contain and administer safely for some reason. Otherwise, only THE DOOM SLAYER can absorb the powerups because he is hard af.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Gimbal lock posted:

When in hell, the End Of Fight riff might sound familiar to old Doom fans. It's a chorus version of Doom's e1m8 song, sign of evil.

Holy poo poo

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Alexeythegreat posted:

Unholy poo poo :stare:

The soundtrack is so loving good, it's unreal.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hm?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I have no idea why they started intentionally foiling backtracking attempts. Alexy didn't show it off, but there's a gap between the platform where he realized he needed to go back and an earlier part of the level that you can absolutely double jump across, except that they went out of their way to put up an invisible wall on the other side so that any attempt to do that resulted in falling to your death. There's no reason for this. You can only make the jump one way due to the elevation. Just a baffling misstep in design from earlier levels.

(It took me so long to figure out that I could walk up the chains, before that I kept trying and failing to jump to the stairs in that same area with them.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

The theory I've heard, that I love, is that the DOOMSLAYER is the original Doomguy, the one who hates Hell for murdering his pet bunny. Basically, Doom 64 ended with him going to stay in Hell so it couldn't start any poo poo. The idea is, he stayed in hell, he hosed up their poo poo, helping anyone in another dimension trying to deal with them, thus the legend, and eventually he was pulled out by another Earth once the demons trapped him.

One hell for multiple Earths. And a very angry space marine killing enough demons for all of them.

The real question for me is why they didn't just kill him if they could remove his armor and store him and his armor in separate boxes.

eta: I do have a theory but it's reliant on endgame stuff. I also like the fact that this game is 100% enjoyable without ever thinking about its plot, but its backstory and plot and characterization have just enough going on that you can talk about it like this.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 6, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

lol, I just realized Hayden's been going on about his good intentions.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also I mean he's not wrong that cutting it off at this point means mass dieoffs for humanity.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also not all humans would die if Hell wins possibly, although any who don't might wish they had! :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This level is why I think that there must have been two very different level designers/design teams working on the game. Right after a level with arbitrary impediments to backtracking, you get a level that allows you to backtrack nearly all the way through right up to the end. (And then the next level... oh god. :cripes: ) I also liked that there were parts of the level you never need to go to but are just there to explore and fight more things. Both this level and the prior Mars surface level are the best in the game imo.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Notable that a data pad picked up in the same area is addressed to high-ranking employees/disciples. You probably don't get into the Advanced Research Complex without having drunk some Kool-aid.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Holy poo poo the trick you used to reach the lever. :stare:

I didn't use In-Flight Mobility for that, I had to try making really sketchy jumps from the highest "pillar" in that area... which led to having to retry the area a whole lot of times.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Re: uses for the rocket launcher, I think you could do worse than using them on possessed soldiers and groups of imps. It can reliably kill the former in one hit at any range and kill multiples of the latter with the after-detonation (or kill just one that's not staying still that fucker), and what else would one really use those rockets for? Ironically, it's not a super powerful weapon and I didn't tend to use it on big targets after I got the gauss gun. Clearing out chaff is a good use for it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yes, but then you also have cacodemons, pinkies, and hell knights :v:

Yeah, that's fair, these are really very bad applications of the rocket launcher. I'm just saying it's not all bad for the assigned weapon in that challenge! Just, in terms of raw hit points, mostly bad.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jesus, dude, just shoot it when it's charging that energy ball attack, you don't have to wait for it to fire. That's when you use the BFG on it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Some of the more surprising words that Russian seems to borrow are "parasite," "pilot," and "exoskeleton," unless this is the video game term exception.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The thing I'd like to know is who the hooded figure overlooking the battle in this picture is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The BFG specifically is interesting in that it always sounded to me like on firing it, the effect was to mute nearly all sounds, as if it was so powerful that it is sucking in any sonic energy or cancelling sound waves or some poo poo.

• Locked thread