Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I love how Miè Tiān Hái almost feels like an afterthought. Because hell, their own side is the real danger at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Your party is clearly headed for great things when the most suspicious member isn't the serial killer or the demon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Shang keeps being interestingly mysterious and I don't know how short of him being a god it matches up with the hype.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

He's very obviously a hardened criminal outside of the land of Dong

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Torquemadras posted:

I love how Miè Tiān Hái almost feels like an afterthought. Because hell, their own side is the real danger at this point

their elite warriors keep getting chumped by random warriors, the only thing keeping them alive are vapewizard's old defences

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the only reason they even got to capture bits of the sword is because the guardians are even more out of shape from sitting in the middle of nowhere

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Watch as evil sword dude gets owned by episode 10, and the rest of the show devolves into one giant Mexican standoff

* vapes quizzically *

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Screamin phoenix murder was way too overleveled for that encounter :( RIP Villain lady

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I love how vapewizard is so suspicious that asking about him made people assume Shang was a spy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

point of return posted:

I love how vapewizard is so suspicious that asking about him made people assume Shang was a spy.

Its not even that. Is that everyone loving knows vapewizard is a shitbag and Shang not knowing it means that something horrible they cant predict might happen. Everyone but the idiots have a firm grasp on the nature of each of the party members, except for Shang. To them, he's the only mystery. While he only understands princess and blondy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
impaler seems like the sketchiest one of them all. juan is just following impaler, shang got manipulated into helping, dan fei is hopelessly naive, and the other two openly hate vape wizard. but impaler knows exactly who vape wizard is and is willingly participating anyway. heck, die kill die die die implied that what the "enigmatic gale's" deal is is common knowledge.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Loving this, though the names are a bit of a challenge to pronounce (I'd use the Japanese names but they aren't the ones showing up on the subs, and that's too weeb).

Anyone have a guide? I'm using https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-pinyin-chart.php, but I'm not sure it's the best.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Schneider Heim posted:

Loving this, though the names are a bit of a challenge to pronounce (I'd use the Japanese names but they aren't the ones showing up on the subs, and that's too weeb).

Anyone have a guide? I'm using https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-pinyin-chart.php, but I'm not sure it's the best.

I mean, it's right, so it's as good as anything.

Pinyin consonants work more-or-less like you'd expect, except c is "ts".

Sh, ch, zh and r are retroflex, but basically the sounds you'd expect and x, q and j are the palatal equivalents of the first 3 of those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_Chinese#Phonology

MMania
May 7, 2008
Wasn't quite sold on the hype until the Phoenix showed up, but he is phenomenal. The scene with him drinking with Sheng was possibly my highlight of this anime (?) season to-date.

Looks like the gang is finally complete, what an insanely mismatched group of weirdos. And I mean that in the best possible sense.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao the ending fight: they made a bunch of overpowered assholes chumping the scary villain group hilarious to watch

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, after this episode, Dan Fei is setting off my alarm bells hardest. Everyone else is wearing their flaws on their sleeves - Shang is a grumpy jerk, Lin is a manipulative slimeball, Shou is a paranoid old soldier, Juan is an overambitious hothead, Xing is an empathy-deficient Actual Genuine Demon, and Sha is a bloodthirsty killer. By setting our expectations low, the show perversely invites us to see their positive moments as more genuine, because they're a breach in this persona that they're broadcasting at maximum volume to the world. Xing and Sha seem like particularly good candidates for a little bit of proper heroism down the line. Dan, on the other hand, has been presented to us as this unwavering beacon of sweetness and light, but she keeps it up so much and so hard that it actually comes across as a little creepy. Like, going 'oh, it's so nice to see them working together :3:' when Juan, Sha, and Xing are slaughtering people in a multitude of horrific ways. Throw in stuff like that weird lingering shot of her face after Shang compliments her on her idealism, and you have someone who seems a little too good to be true.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, after this episode, Dan Fei is setting off my alarm bells hardest. Everyone else is wearing their flaws on their sleeves - Shang is a grumpy jerk, Lin is a manipulative slimeball, Shou is a paranoid old soldier, Juan is an overambitious hothead, Xing is an empathy-deficient Actual Genuine Demon, and Sha is a bloodthirsty killer. By setting our expectations low, the show perversely invites us to see their positive moments as more genuine, because they're a breach in this persona that they're broadcasting at maximum volume to the world. Xing and Sha seem like particularly good candidates for a little bit of proper heroism down the line. Dan, on the other hand, has been presented to us as this unwavering beacon of sweetness and light, but she keeps it up so much and so hard that it actually comes across as a little creepy. Like, going 'oh, it's so nice to see them working together :3:' when Juan, Sha, and Xing are slaughtering people in a multitude of horrific ways. Throw in stuff like that weird lingering shot of her face after Shang compliments her on her idealism, and you have someone who seems a little too good to be true.

It wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be true. They might play the ultra-naive sheltered girl straight, though, to the point of comedy (as seen this episode, her marvelling over the splendid teamwork of necromancy and serialmurderin'). I can't imagine it ends well in any case; the question is, will she be on the receiving end of harsh reality, or will she dish it out?

Look out Juan, your crush could be more dangerous than you think :tinfoil:

Phobophilia posted:

lmao the ending fight: they made a bunch of overpowered assholes chumping the scary villain group hilarious to watch

Yeah, this is great. I'm really curious how the main baddie's gonna fare against our heroes, especially with Phoenix Killer around. It's weird how there's only two on team villain left, so I expect the outcome of this confrontation to set the tone: will the other members of the group be the final obstacle, or is he powerful enough to be the real end boss?

Feelin' bad for poor hookblades dude though, he knows he's outmatched

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Are they speaking Chinese during those spell incantations? They sound really neat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have a hard time believing the situation as presented is going to be the endgame, the main party is too strong and too fractious for Bones to be the last boss.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

brainwrinkle posted:

Are they speaking Chinese during those spell incantations? They sound really neat.

Cantonese, I think.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I assumed it was Taiwanese Mandarin. Which to be fair I always thought was Cantonese when my friend speaks it to his relatives.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
That's probably it. I haven't heard Taiwan Mandarin before.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
deff isnt canto, i think its just super stylised and poetic mando

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like this has restored Gen Urubuchi's reputation, the last few works haven't been too good since Psycho-Pass?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey now Kamen Rider Gaim was actually pretty good if you set aside the incredibly forced and tone-deaf ending.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hey now Kamen Rider Gaim was actually pretty good if you set aside the incredibly forced and tone-deaf ending.

He was just being faithful to Kamen Rider tradition. :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He was just being faithful to Kamen Rider tradition. :v:

:omarcomin:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

T.G. Xarbala posted:

What actually happened there?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
In this weeks episode Shang gets trolled to the limit. :getin:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I simulwatch this with friends but my Taiwanese friend is still waiting for the Chinese version so I won't really have anything to say about ThudFan for a day or two.

Now Gaim on the other hand, whoa nelly

Schneider Heim posted:

What actually happened there?

Honestly? I don't really know, but I still have my thoughts on it.

There've been enough bad Kamen Riders, and some with notorious production problems, that whatever problems Gaim had aren't considered that big of a deal. It was pretty obvious though, by how rushed some of the powerups seemed, that the plot was written to match the timing of the power ups' toy release schedule rather than letting them happen naturally. That said, this sort of thing applies to all recent KRs and the better ones still manage to write around that. Gaim in the end was kind of uneven in quality, much like Urobuchi's career in general--when he's good he's really good, he's just not always. When Gaim was good it was drat good, but the end seemed to try to force tragedy and moral ambiguity in a way that didn't really seem to match with the message and theme that the show had seemed to be running with. On that note I think the rival character was a lot more sympathetic and popular than people expected, being something of a breakout character, so his tragic fate and antagonistic motives in the end actually felt kind of weirdly forced despite being completely consistent with the character on a textual level--it's hard to explain, but I think there was a disconnect between the plot and the tone there. And the protagonist had very little agency, being mostly a chew toy to the whims of the plot. Much like just about all of the female characters, two of whom died to motivate a male character but for one of them the death didn't stick. The protag's final upgrade to becoming a God was unintentionally hilarious, though, and him getting sarcastically called "God" by Drive's hero in the crossover promo movie was pretty great.

I still laugh when I think about what the gently caress happened. I guess Urobuchi's style and sensibilities didn't really seem to mesh with the state of the modern KR franchise, as he was clearly a fan of Kuuga and Agito and Gaim seemed to be a throwback to the darker half of the Phase 1 Heisei (2001-2010) series in a number of ways, setting aside the bright and cheery Phase 2 (2011+) stylings.

Riku Sanjo (W, Drive) is still the better KR lead writer imo

Runa fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 19, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like this has restored Gen Urubuchi's reputation, the last few works haven't been too good since Psycho-Pass?

From what Ive read in the japanese forums, people actually like it/find it interesting. He mentioned that his new work was being to be announced soon and people weren't trolling the comments and they were saying that the puppet show was pretty interesting.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

shang bu huan and the terrible horrible no good very bad day

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Does anyone else find it suspicious that Shang Bu Huan was repelled by a barrier created to defend against dark magic?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh my god Shou

You had ONE. loving. JOB

Pinning a falling dude to a wall by the collar, on the other hand? EASY
I'm disappointed, Shou :mad:

Anyhow, still kinda hilarious for what, at first glance, looks like the beginning of the final confrontation. (No way it is.) Also, Dan Fei fighting against Mie Tian Hai? drat! You go girl! (There's no way she wins. Unleeeeeesss there's more going on...)

Still diggin' it. Really curious how the next few episodes will turn out to not be the finale.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jo Joestar posted:

Does anyone else find it suspicious that Shang Bu Huan was repelled by a barrier created to defend against dark magic?

And yet the Lament Lady and Fire Bird Killer weren't!?

But yes I found it interesting.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Jo Joestar posted:

I'd guess it's got something to do with how he got through the Wasteland of Spirits.

Also, Pipe dude getting super into the Demon's dancing was great.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

That episode was too good for it's own good. I'm right there with Shang with ditching those fucks at the end.

Of course he will end up leading them through the labyrinth in a drunken stupor or something, making the flute useless at the end.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The real enemy was the friends you made along the way.

Jo Joestar posted:

Until you mentioned it it looked like a normal side effect of the barrier going up. But yeah, that's food for thought.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
shang had some bad luck the first time: he was just standing outside the barrier, and no one told him to step inside first. i dont think he's a zombie, i think the barrier is mild against the living, but is super effective against the dead

the second time was his own drat fault. just get the stupid spear kid to bait the rock golem, instead of volunteering to do it yourself. no one asked in the first place, and you were already worn out

Phobophilia posted:

the only reason they even got to capture bits of the sword is because the guardians are even more out of shape from sitting in the middle of nowhere

yeah the guardians arent the savviest lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like the idea that Shrine Maiden girl might possibly gain a huge boost if she can figure out how to adapt her Sword Skills to her height and build instead of trying to blindly copy her brother/ancestors. Juan was pretty cool there trying to give advice on it.

• Locked thread