Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

And that 2nd avatar Kill Zone is why I never really liked that skill. You just don't know what you're getting when you click: fields of view are too janky in XCOM, and at longer ranges you may not have two adjacent visible squares for enemies to move between with all the little columns and other blockers. (But it is still great when it works, though, and I've stopped exclusively doing gunslinger-type Sharpshooters.)
That's what made me write off that skill in my playthroughs: almost every time I use it, the enemy somehow manages to not trigger it even when I set it up where it should work perfectly. When it works it's amazing as Jade has shown off repeatedly, but the LOS makes it just too unreliable for me.

And congratulations on completing the LP Jade! I hope you can get Vegas to work again soon because I'm really looking forward to a Battle Brothers LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The final room is why I like having two rangers on the final mission. One with rapid fire to help butcher the really tough enemies and a second one with reaper who can help keep the numbers down as a way of cleaning up after the rest of the squad.

In terms of enemy placement there is no rhyme or reason about it as the very first time I did this mission I ran into a sectopod in the very first area.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Dark Flame Master posted:

Is this about right?

Ha... Except I'm taller than Guava

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Congratulations on finishing the LP Jade Star, it was a great ride.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
One thing I like about the commander's avatar is that it has the colonel rank icon from Enemy Unknown. Dunno if that ever got pointed out.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Thanks for another great LP. A Mercenary Captain's Guide to Battle Brothers sounds dope and ridiculously bloody :unsmigghh:. Definitely looking forward to it!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It's probably one of several possibilities, but were you thinking of the "rear end in a top hat aliens running from a bigger threat in the core" space 4X game called Sins of a Solar Empire? It's from 2008 rather than DOS-era, but it does include that element.

Also, the "Betrayer!" line from the Ethereal chorus is another good hit on the possession theory- no reason to say that to a guy you kidnapped, unless they're talking about the (brainless) Avatar itself. Another Ethereal working against them, though, would fit nicely.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Terrifying Effigies posted:

A Mercenary Captain's Guide to Battle Brothers sounds dope

Stealing this. Needed a good idea for thread title.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The human apartment in the alien base is obviously where the Speaker trains his impersonating human behaviour skills.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
I honestly hope MarioCOM happens. At the very least, it'd probably make a good joke video.

Just play it straight, and use all the XCOM lingo. Tell us how good Mario is with Death from Above.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thanks for another great LP. A Mercenary Captain's Guide to Battle Brothers sounds dope and ridiculously bloody :unsmigghh:. Definitely looking forward to it!

I am unreasonably excited to see a Battle Brothers LP.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Zomborgon posted:

It's probably one of several possibilities, but were you thinking of the "rear end in a top hat aliens running from a bigger threat in the core" space 4X game called Sins of a Solar Empire? It's from 2008 rather than DOS-era, but it does include that element.

I thought it was probably Starflight, in which the setup for the plot is, "Something is causing suns to go nova, in a steady progression from the galactic core outwards. Based on the current rate of spread, we have about 5 years before the nova wave reaches the Sol system and all life on Earth is destroyed. Go out there, figure out what's causing this, and stop it." 800 planets to explore, yet it fit on a single 720K floppy due to the clever way the planets were procedurally generated.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I've never quite understood the whole "we're subjugating you to combat a larger threat that would subjugate you even worse" stance aliens seem to love to take.

Like, you've studied humanity, you've seen how they react to poo poo. Why not just say hi and ask for help? Too much work?

e: I know it's all narrative convenience, but it's just dumb to me

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tax Refund posted:

I thought it was probably Starflight, in which the setup for the plot is, "Something is causing suns to go nova, in a steady progression from the galactic core outwards. Based on the current rate of spread, we have about 5 years before the nova wave reaches the Sol system and all life on Earth is destroyed. Go out there, figure out what's causing this, and stop it." 800 planets to explore, yet it fit on a single 720K floppy due to the clever way the planets were procedurally generated.

There was also the awesome Sega Genesis port, which redid the whole game to give it much better graphics and made some of the gameplay a little more action-y when you went out in the TV or got into space fights.

That was one of the first big space games I ever played when I was a kid.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

zxqv8 posted:

I've never quite understood the whole "we're subjugating you to combat a larger threat that would subjugate you even worse" stance aliens seem to love to take.

Like, you've studied humanity, you've seen how they react to poo poo. Why not just say hi and ask for help? Too much work?

Could just be imperialist self-justification. Many empires do not want to admit they just like to subjugate others. The Roman republic went out of it's way to ensure every war was a "defensive" war.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Random_Username posted:

I honestly hope MarioCOM happens. At the very least, it'd probably make a good joke video.

Just play it straight, and use all the XCOM lingo. Tell us how good Mario is with Death from Above.

Yes.

Yes!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Grizzwold posted:

One thing I like about the commander's avatar is that it has the colonel rank icon from Enemy Unknown. Dunno if that ever got pointed out.

A quote I saw, is that the Skull & Wreath icon goes to the highest rank attainable - and no one outranks the Commander.

But yes, was a fun LP Jade! Many giggles were had - I'm going to go ahead and say one of my favorite moments was Guava's ragequit when the Archon King got executed.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Random_Username posted:

Jade is incredibly opposed to the idea and under no circumstances will purchase the game. At this point, I don't even think he'd play it if someone purchased it for him when it comes out.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Olesh posted:

Jade is incredibly opposed to the idea and under no circumstances will purchase the game. At this point, I don't even think he'd play it if someone purchased it for him when it comes out.

Maybe someone can send him gameplay footage and they can just make fun of it for ten minutes. That'd be enough.

But lol not gonna happen.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Night10194 posted:

There was one by HerpicleOmmnicron5, but it petered out quickly.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Congrats again on the lp Jade, you almost managed to get through this one without the JAIDS popping up :v:

Also a side note since i'm a filthy console peasant playing this game, this mission is kind of hell to get through since everything takes a hell of a long time to do. The game is normally perfectly fine minus a few framerate drops here and there and some glitchyness but nothing that's out of the ordinary for an X-Com game anyway.

This final mission though? The game just took a complete poo poo performance wise trying to manage everything going on onscreen at once. The same kinda thing happens with the Avenger defense mission but not quite to the same scale since there's not nearly as much to blow up in those missions as there is here. Alien turns would take minutes to go through as the game would just stop everything and have to process before all the aliens would move at once and then do their actions one by one.

The Avatar room didn't have this problem strangely but that part is hard enough on it's own without the game making GBS threads itself.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Night10194 posted:

Capt Jade: "Bad news Mr. Goon, your character rolled poorly so now he gets to be on stun rod spearcatcher duty."

Mr. Goon: "Don't you mean spearwall duty?"

Capt Jade: "Yeah sure whatever makes you feel better buddy!"

Mr. Goon: :gibs:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Capt Jade: "Bad news Mr. Goon, your character rolled poorly so now he gets to be on stun rod spearcatcher duty."

Mr. Goon: "Don't you mean spearwall duty?"

Capt Jade: "Yeah sure whatever makes you feel better buddy!"

Mr. Goon: :gibs:

Hey, I'll finally LP a squad based game where I can not honestly say it will be a clean run. People are going to die in battle brothers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And commit all the atrocities that Guava desires.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jade Star posted:

Hey, I'll finally LP a squad based game where I can not honestly say it will be a clean run. People are going to die in battle brothers.

Many Ratcatchers Died To Bring You This LP.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I eagerly await the submissions of Nota Crysallid and Muton Jones in feudal europe.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this LP. My friend had been talking up the game for a while, but seeing it in action here got me to take the plunge and buy it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Hunt11 posted:

And commit all the atrocities that Guava desires.
This is honestly what I'm looking forward to the most, from what I little understand of the game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kurieg posted:

I eagerly await the submissions of Nota Crysallid and Muton Jones in feudal europe.

Don't forget about your boy Shield Bearer.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Hooray LP finished! Also hooray for only mild (by it's standards) JAIDS interference!

Kurieg posted:

Jimmy Muton (who outshone Julian on that last mission shot for shot,) Archie and Archer will probably fit right in dying for the cause in Battle Brothers.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This was a good LP. Guava, Skippy, and Lunethex did a great job. Not sure what the other guy was up to though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Olesh posted:

is he so opposed he delegated this post to someone else? :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Olesh never posts unless there is a great need, and he will be the hero that everyone then needs and deserves at that point in time there is a great need.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Psion posted:

You can prefix with "Based on what he said in the video," if you like.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
So then clearly we need to get Guava to LP the Rabbids game, and then Jade can be his co-commentator.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Psion posted:

Olesh has a history of supplying me with terrible games to contractually obligate me to stream them.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Olesh has a history of supplying me with terrible games to contractually obligate me to stream them.

You take that back, Jazzpunk was awesome.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Okay, yeah, Jazzpunk was amazing. But I'd forgotten that was from you. I guess that balances out a few of your sins. I mean you do try, with that uh, space roguelike sorta thing that was balls hard and uh... You know I can't really remember things very well.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the point is, jade, you and I both know you'll end up playing MarioCOM and that's okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

En route to our planet, they'd be detected and probably catch every missile (and possibly nuke) on Earth before they could successfully land.

If they could even get as far as landing, they'd be facing nonstop attempts to kill and dissect them.

• Locked thread