Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

heenato posted:

I mean, yeah. Backup plans are a thing I need to think about a bit more, but as to backup plans on the geoscape, it was early enough that I couldn't really have a backup plan, but the things that just swarmed me immediately after were impossible to do without the squad that wiped in the previous mission.

Just keep a save at the start of and after each map and if something has gone straight poo poo restore to a point where it was not and try again. This is also important because I've found the game has some odd problems with saves every so often (at least on the Mac version, no idea if this also happens on PC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Those things you mention for pistols are things Sharpshooters can already do if you spec them for pistols and that's why you should do that thing because they own own own. Turn this poo poo into a John Woo movie.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Yup, while you cannot mod the pistol it still gets the effects of any unique ammo you carry. Applying poison or burn to multiple enemies is one of the strongest abilities of the Gunslinger.

Armor Piercing is also a good pistol effect for dealing with pre-shredded late game enemies. Like yes your Grenadiers should be handling that but being able to drop a bunch of damage on any arbitrary thing is pretty great, especially since you are still mobile and never have to reload.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

Commander's guide to XCOM: Delete every file associated with aliens. Command your universe to not include hostile alien bastards. Win the war before it begins.

You'll never invent plasma cannons without the threat of extraterrestrial life coming to eat your planet, but that seems a fair trade-off.

(Please tell me this game has plasma cannons)

It has plasma weapons and obviously this must include one for the Grenadier.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I was so incredibly stoked when I first encountered the procedurally generated scarring and such. I was starting a mission, in the Skyranger, and suddenly realized there was a huge scar on my grenadier's cheek. I started checking out the others and realized they were all so grizzled veterans, clear in their face...
...and then there was my psiop who managed to never get shot or burned and was unharmed. I changed her nickname to Babyface before the final mission.

Between their immunities and their brutality a psi-operative is certainly the one who'd end up uninjured.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

As long as one of the characters show up talking like Tommy Wiseau.

Jade Star, you're tearing me apart!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

He may have received a grizzled and hardened makeover for the sequel, but deep down Bradford is still the lovable dork from the previous game.

Bradford Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ousire posted:

I think the JAIDS is infecting my game through the LP. Just had the enemies bug out on a mission.

I set up an ambush for a pod while I was in concealment. I set all my guys but one to overwatch, and the last guy threw a grenade at the pod to activate it. I figured I'd do some burst damage, shred some armor, and the aliens would scatter and get turned to swiss cheese by the rest of my overwatch'd team. Instead what happened was. . . Nothing. The aliens literally made no moves and just stood still. Didn't take cover, didn't overwatch, didn't fire, anything. I just killed em and moved on, figuring the game's turn order bugged out a bit. But then the aliens didn;'t do anything for the rest of the mission. I literally could run right into range and they didn't even trigger or anything, just stood still while my soldiers mowed em down.

Then they were still bugged when I started the next mission so I decided that was a good time to call a break. hopefully they're not still glitched out or I might need to start my campaign over. I might end up needing to do that anyway since I kinda procrastinated on the Avatar project doing the fun DLC missions that I've never seen before and researching the tier two guns and armor. Hopefully I've not screwed myself one way or another :v:

I've seen that happen before, and yes just exiting the game and reloading does fix it.

Of course I'm hardly surprised when things don't work right playing given I'm on the Mac version and Feral can't even be assed to get the last DLC released. Fuckers.

EDIT: Ha ha ha they literally released it today. Christ.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I swear to god I've seen some dickwagon Dodge half the damage from an explosion, which I recall mostly because of the level of outrage that represented.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

That enemy is only really annoying if you don't know it's coming and time its appearance poorly.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I think the 'rusted armor' comment is a nod to them having laughably low health rather than actually reduced armor.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Even allowing for it having garbage aim and weapons compared to the real deal I have to say it does have 'really hard to just kill in a single turn without it ever doing anything' over a regular sectopod.

Also full magnetics really would be the tipping point for making this whole mission a bunch easier since it lets you shred 2 armor with Grenadiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

White Coke posted:

When Metal Gear Sectoanthropus learns to walk upright, does that make it easier to hit it? Or is it just to deny XCOM's troops a height advantage?

The Sectopod's gun starts counting as being high for sure, and it's much more visible while tall. Normal Sectopods also have a special attack they can only use while tall.

• Locked thread