Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

It's the entire point of the games, arguably. Late game gear is laughably overpowered, but nobody minds, because you're getting to use it against those fuckers who made your early game hell.

In X-Com: UFO Defense, the balancing factor was mind-controlling aliens who could target you while your soldiers were still in the Skyranger. All that wonderful explosive gear isn't as good when it's being used on your own troops and you'd have to clear the crashed UFO entirely to kill the mind-controlling alien.

Whereas in Terror from the Deep, the balancing factor was the player's likelihood to rage-quit before reaching the late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Iny posted:

Sure is! As pointed out in the video where he makes his appearance.

But "Gollop" probably isn't a good nickname for him in-game. How about "Lobstakilla" for the Spark's nickname? Too soon?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Highwang posted:

So a thing about Ruler Actions:

Dunno if this extends to older versions, but if I had to hazard a guess Jake was inspired by D&D 5e and their Legendary Actions for the Ruler Actions in XCOM2. Firaxis has been all about making their games more Tabletop-esque with Civ 5/6, BE and the XCOM remakes, however this is the biggest tabletop-y thing I can point out. In 5e at least, many boss creatures circumvent the action economy of players by having both Legendary Resistance (which I am loving GLAD Jake also didn't pick up) and Legendary Action: LR is basically "lol this doesn't work" for three status effects, and LA is an action pool of 3 points that a boss monster can use only on a player's turn. Some LA's use multiple points as well, which is a blessing. However I don't think Jake realized the balance behind LA's in D&D; for Ruler Actions, they act *anytime* a player acts and, at least in my experience, without limitations. Had Jade have a full roster available to him, that's 6-12 free actions for the Snake King. Generally this means he will escape through the portal since players often chew through him in the first encounter, but this is also why those achievements Guava covets are so balls-hard to get.

Or Jake played 4E D&D, which not only gives its boss monsters five times the hit points, but features the solo Beholder line of nasty monstrosities. Beholders get their full set of actions, but they also make random gaze attacks whenever a PC gets a turn.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

I was going to ask how the end-of-days timer works when you stop it but you guys covered that already. I would say I don't believe that you've instantly got another two pips of progress on the Avatar Project yet again, but given the course of this LP yeah I absolutely believe that.

It's like some sort of reverse It's A Wonderful Life. The Avatar Project gets an extra pip every time an angel loses its wings (to a repeater).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

KnoxZone posted:

The total failure of that ambush was absurdly hilarious.

And just to add insult to injury, "Successful Shot Percentage: 100%"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Anybody (Guava?) for Icarus Armor on a Gunslinger? Drop a grenade or bomb on a cluster of enemies and then descend from the heavens to finish them all off at once.

Also, I usually found Bladestorm to be really effective, so this is clearly Jade's problem. In the final mission my Bladestorm ranger killed as many as three enemies a turn with it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

well, both have problems other than there aim, though - bladestorm requires stuff like chrysallids to actually target the ranger - and reapers loss of damage is rather crippling faster than one'd like.

There's also the Bladestorm among the reinforcements approach. Reaper is pretty situational, though it's almost always a nice bonus skill via the AWS.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

InwardChaos posted:

I personally think that the insta-kill attribute of the Skullminning ability outweighs the potential damage you take from the shock, especially if you use it on a high priority advent target, like a lancer or shieldbearer.
It's been a while, but I do believe that you can still insta-kill a shieldbearer even after they have put up their shield, which of course removes the shields once they are dead.

That's correct. Preferably, through a wall; old-school style, through a wall and you can't see the hacking interface.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna need Jade and Guava to also LP that Mario game. :v: From the look of the trailer and E3 footage, it's practically a contractual obligation.

Mario and Otto Zander, together for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
You want a grenadier to play that acoustic guitar, as unless you've built them wrong they can really shred it.

I do think that final mission is balanced with the expectation that you'll be hacking/Commander mind-controlling and using those as scouts and mobile Mimic Beacons. In the unlikely event you can't get the aliens to kill them, you do have to spend an action or two before they shake the control to finish them off yourself. My favorite was usually to grab an Andromedon, run it into the middle of an alien pod to draw fire, and then hack the suit when they killed it.

I have fond memories of a Bladestorm Ranger just cutting down pods of crysallids in this final mission. Somewhat less fond memories of about three different bugs in this final mission, as well as some of the wonky LoS issues in this otherwise wonderfully designed room. The weirdest involved using Restoration with one soldier outside the final room. I also had one game where an Avatar teleported out of the room entirely and I had to send several soldier up our backtrail to find it. I didn't even know that was possible and it was pretty brutal fending off incoming pods until I worked out what had happened.

I felt like there was an attempt in the final mission to both play up the "Commander controlled a la Bureau" and the "does that human environment remind you of your home growing up, Commander?" Happier about all the hints of something worse that the Ethereals were trying to fight/run away from, though as presumably Earth isn't home to that threat it's something more along the lines of Apocalypse than TfTD. (Though I'd love if we had a TfTD remake that isn't so punishing to play.)

Great LP, Jade and some unknown number of Guavas.

• Locked thread