Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

AradoBalanga posted:

Since you were curious Jade and Guava, yes, Julian can be retrained in the AWC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Rick_Hunter posted:

I've tried the - non-soda? - root beers like Virgil and Weinhart's and I just can't get into them so I always gravitate towards the usual suspects like Barq's and Mug. What's the difference between the two types?

There's really no actual distinction, since they're all carbonated, but the commercially widespread root beers like Barqs, Mug, or A&W tend to be more heavily sweetened/carbonated.

Note that the sugar content of a soda doesn't necessarily correlate to how sweet it tastes - adding acids to soda to cut the sweetness is very common. Dissolving CO2 into water to create carbonated water actually makes a mix of water, carbon dioxide, and carbonic acid, and while the pressure and temperature remain constant it stays in equilibrium. However, once the CO2 is allowed to escape, the carbonic acid eventually breaks down entirely, leaving only water behind. This is why flat soda tastes bad - it's actually missing the carbonic acid part of the drink that cuts the sweetness. :eng101: It's possible, but not really practical, to re-carbonate soda and restore the taste. Many sodas also use additional acid(s) for flavor - phosphoric acid gets used in Coke, among other sodas, which helps stabilize the flavor as it goes flat. (Bonus fact: CO2 doesn't really dissolve well without a catalyst, since water is polar and CO2 isn't, so to get CO2 into your bloodstream it's first converted to carbonic acid (which is polar) by enzymes and then converted back to CO2 for removal via the lungs.)

Your Henry Weinhard's or Virgil's or IBC tend to be less aggressively sweetened and counterbalanced with carbonation/acidity (although pretty much all root beer is carbonated). Barq's and Mug are crafted to have pretty wide appeal - just because you don't like the same root beer as Jade doesn't mean there aren't other root beers out there that you might like better.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Voting that Talow's nickname should be:

Talow '***' Rosine.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Did you guys confuse this with the Games thread? Everyone knows that the only XCom mod Jade will ever LP is XPiratez.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

When it comes to shipping tons and tons of material over land through a fixed route, trains make a lot of sense. If you need to ship more cargo, you just throw more wagons on, up to the limits of your locomotive's maximum weight capacity and your country's infrastructure - your bridges need to be able to support the weight, after all.

There's no generalized situation where air or road transport beats rail transport in cost effectiveness for bulk goods over a distance, although it's limited by your rail network (which has an upper limit to how complex it can be). At some point goods have to leave the train by truck to their final destination, unless that destination is actually one of the stops on the rail. When Detroit was actually still a big manufacturing center, there was a freight rail line that went in a big half-loop around the city, enabling local businesses (such as automotive manufacturers) to operate with more or less direct access to freight lines, instead of needing to ship products and materials to and from train stations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Fwoderwick posted:

I'm being quite the negative nancy for something I was meaning to recommend though. Go play it everyone!

Your criticisms are perfectly fair. The rocket launcher really doesn't feel that spectacular. Most weapons, in fact, don't feel that spectacular, but heavy weapons and their blueprints come pretty much at the end of the game. The random blueprint aspect can be annoying, and the game is very short in comparison to Syndicate (and doubly so compared to Syndicate + American Revolt). Heavy weapons' lack of punch, in large part, has to do with the fact that the difference in how quickly enemies die has a lot more to do with your ability to flank them and shoot them out of cover, as opposed to the weapon(s) you're using. There's an option when creating a game to triple all damage values across the board, which makes the game feel a lot more like Syndicate. Cover becomes even more important, and the heavy weapons are able to chew through enemy HP even in cover.

The biggest problem with the rocket launcher and equivalent really is that you get grenades so early, and the rocket launcher isn't effective enough to justify the fact that every time you use it you'll draw a bunch more guards to you.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

zyxophoj posted:

I have to agree with the other commentator who is definitely Guavamoment ...
also that the original Syndicate and Syndicate wars were good games.

I also agree with Actual Vaguely British-sounding Internet Youtube Guy Guavamoment.

Probably the biggest "flaw" in Satellite Reign is that it feels kind of unfinished and short. Syndicate had all those missions (and yeah, each country only has the one mission but it's not like you ever have to repeat them unless you set taxes too high). Satellite Reign is still ridiculously fun, especially in 4-player co-op, but don't pay full price for it.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

It's because all let's playing robots are vaguely british.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Nalesh posted:

That info thing seems like it'd be a really great mod if it got added to every mission.

Also what I'm hearing is that the next game Guava is commentating is the Syndicate remake, is that right? :v:

Every time I see you post, I get really confused.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Random_Username posted:

I honestly hope MarioCOM happens. At the very least, it'd probably make a good joke video.

Just play it straight, and use all the XCOM lingo. Tell us how good Mario is with Death from Above.

Jade is incredibly opposed to the idea and under no circumstances will purchase the game. At this point, I don't even think he'd play it if someone purchased it for him when it comes out.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Psion posted:

is he so opposed he delegated this post to someone else? :v:

You can prefix with "Based on what he said in the video," if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Olesh has a history of supplying me with terrible games to contractually obligate me to stream them.

You take that back, Jazzpunk was awesome.

• Locked thread