Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still waiting for this game to go on a good sale, but sure, soldier submitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh. I submitted an Italian soldier. I figure not even an alien invasion can make the Italians take war seriously.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I will never fail to be amused that one possible translation of X-COM's motto is bad latin for, essentially, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Had one too many beers,
Missed a ninety-five percent,
The chryssalid struck.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Not mine, but just in case anyone thought this game wasn't a worthy successor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I like Lobstermen
Cooked through with hot plasma shots
Served with butter sauce

Plasma guns don't work
Not underwater they don't
Try thermal drills friend

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

Superheated gas
Cavitation explosion
I need new eardrums

Would that we could have
Engineering said sonic rocks
We had to make do

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Chryssalids inbound
One rocket should clean them up
But Dave was on fire

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thin man in my sights
Rocket away, now he's dead
Straight through a brick wall

I get more glitches letting me fire through solid objects than the other way around. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oi, boss, I gots news
Da boyz are gettin restless
Need some gitz ta stomp

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Been twenty long years
It's welcome back Commander
You'll need some coffee

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AriadneThread posted:

the emphasis on 'commander' gives me some serious 'follow freeman' vibes

I think it's because the commander is supposed to be you and they don't want to so much as say the commander/player is a man or woman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Vile posted:

I know they were going for a kind of gravitas, but that "Welcome back...Commander" always sounds incredibly sarcastic and resentful to me. It really does not gel with how Bradford is written.

IIRC, Bradford spent most of the last 20 years as a drunk hobo living in a shack in Idaho pointing a shotgun at the door. The dude doesn't have the best people skills.

I actually don't like the story or setting of X-COM 2 at all for the next game in the setting, and the characters are one of my quibbles versus Enemy Unknown: everyone seems much less likable than the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio of Bradford, Vahlen, and Shen in 2012.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, XCOM 1, everyone had a good niche. Shen was the science grandpa who worried about the Moral Implications. Vahlen was the madwoman who put "vivisection" as one of her interests on her online dating profile, and Bradford was the idiot you all rolled your eyes at. Here, I can see the intended dynamic (Shen's the new generation, Bradford's the tired veteran, and Tygan's the guy who was on the alien's side until he found out what was really going on), but Tygan never really had either the Vahlen style "Oh yeah, I did some hosed up poo poo." or the "Wait. See this poo poo? This is why I quit. I get that we're desperate, but is this the angle we're going with?" you'd want for someone who's rebelling on purely moral grounds.

Lilly and Bradford both have their angles explored, Tygan's... isn't.

I never got the "Vahlen is a sociopathic war criminal" meme from her. She came across to me as being as close to perpetually excited as a middle-aged German woman can be, only occasionally stopping to chastise herself at all these scientific and technological wonders being possible only because people are dying. I found her the eternal optimist of the Enemy Unknown cast, contrasting with the dour and pessimistic Shen and the pragmatic, task-focused Bradford.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also of note, XCOM shot down a whole two UFOs during their brief existence. Given most of us were shooting down at least one a week, they deserved to get pubstomped.

On the other hand, they took down a supply barge with nothing but ravens and missiles so good on them - that's what the Avenger is, a refitted supply barge.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's not terrible, but it's not likely to rocket to the top of your favourites either. It killed time during lunch breaks at work, which, really, was all I was asking for. It's probably on a par with the Bioshock tie-in - does decent service to the source material, but not mandatory reading. It does accurately reflect an average game of XCOM though, in that characters tend to die at the drop of a hat. I had a good laugh once I realised that. At the end of the day, it's a tie-in book, so adjust your expectations accordingly, but if you see it cheap, you could do worse.

The book also talks about contagion zones, which I think one or two events in this game can refer to. They're something weird, spooky, and has even ADVENT and the aliens creeped.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kasrkin posted:

Especially this part has me Intrigued. i'm not sure if i ever came across this in my play troughs.

Essentially, ADVENT has placed certain areas off-limits to absolutely everyone and X-COM saw really weird poo poo coming out of these contagion zones - animals made of glass and other bizarre stuff. They saw ADVENT forces going into these zones armed with flamethrowers, which the book notes are not standard ADVENT equipment.

There's an event or two in this game that references them, but nothing's come of them yet. Could be foreshadowing for X-COM 3 or just "hey, weird poo poo" for flavor.

Night10194 posted:

Reminder that the canonical way to get around the language barrier was Vahlen shoving electrodes into the skull of the captive alien and then 'stimulating' (read: Hurting) it until they could get a good enough sense of the brain to read its thoughts.

Also a way to get around most of the aliens not having mouths.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The first time you send a soldier in for MEC-ing in XCOM: Enemy Within, Dr. Vahlen is specifically named as the one being consulted with for the amputations.

She also comments that the limbs are being put in cryogenic storage and hopes that with meld they can be reattached when the war ends.

Again, Vahlen only resorts to the neural probes because nevermind the language issue, most aliens aren't physically capable of speech. Most are also lobotomized - if you read the interrogation reports, Vahlen mentions using traditional interrogation techniques on aliens like thin men where traditional methods can work. She brain probes aliens like sectoids and floaters.

Vahlen's eccentric to be sure, and without supervision probably would get carried away, but I found her endearing and the most memorable character in the game.

You also have the poo poo that goes on in the gene labs, where your soldiers are sent to have their eyes removed and replaced with alien eyes. XCOM: Enemy Within got creepy as gently caress, though it didn't quite seem to follow through on the consequences of that creepiness.

Again, read the lore. Their eyes are modified thanks to meld, not removed. You play around with enhancing the function of their pupils or giving them better depth perception.

Vahlen is a bit extreme, but she's not that extreme. She calls out the ADVENT elites as completely disregarding ethical practices for their augmentations, going well beyond what she is willing to condone.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 16, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Do you mean the EXALT elites in Enemy Within?

Erm. Yeah. Wrong group of sinister, face-concealing alien collaborators using extensive alien gene mods. When you meet the first EXALT Elites, Vahlen comments that they're using gene mod technology well beyond what she considers safe or ethical.

My assumption had been that Vahlen was using Meld to graft alien body parts onto human soldiers to enhance their capabilities.

In the research, Vahlen comments that the gene mods are inspired by alien genetics. For example, commenting on the cyberdisc autopsy:

Its internal mechanisms seem to operate like organs, giving it the ability to circulate plasma through its core systems, much in the same way blood flows through our bodies. These mechanisms enable the construct to distribute vital functions throughout its body. After further study, it may be possible to use these designs in our genetic modification program to reduce our soldiers' dependence on vital organs such as the heart

This unlocks the Secondary Heart mod. Vahlen's pretty clear about looking at alien physiology and occasionally seeing interesting ideas for genetic modifications, not actually replacing organs with alien gribblies.

Sorry if I'm coming across as defensive or spergy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Okay, my fault for looking up actual Italian names for my trooper. Boring and hard to pronounce.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 18, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At any rate, nice job for Alessandra (if you're curious, her last name is pronounced Margot-eenee). Naturally the girl who makes that exceedingly peculiar shot on the advent officer is the one entrusted as the marksman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

Agreed. My first sharpshooter I brought down the sniper tree thinking it would be as good as in the original. Nope, most of it is useless until you get to the last couple of skills. The second guy I made a gunslinger, and hot drat was she good. Pistoling everything to death :ocelot:

Squad size is six, right? Get two sharpshooters, have one of each spec.

It's how I use assaults in Enemy Unknown. I like to get two, then spec one for maximum shotgun close range stuff and one for a flexible rifle build.

Also, Jade, I won't be bothered if you rename Alessandra to something you can pronounce. :v: Named her after my Volunteer in my first game of Enemy Unknown.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

Two snipers? But that is one less grenade launcher for your team. If you don't have 5, how do you even kill anything? :ohdear:

I don't actually own this game - waiting for a 40% or more sale on steam. :v: I watch Beagle a lot.

I find the setting and general premise of X-COM 2 a significant disappointment, so it's either waiting for DLC or an expansion to fix the issues I have with the game or wait for a big sale.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Nevermind, sperging.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 18, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This was posted in the Games thread.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And a nice second mission for Alessandra, picking up an officer and sectoid kill.

As beefy as sectoids have gotten, would I be wrong to say they sound like they were more dangerous in Enemy Unknown?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

InfinityComplex posted:

Still too rich for my blood, especially since EDF 4.1 came out yesterday.

And WoW: Legion's prepatch hit today, meaning I've got some serious pretty princess to attend to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Wasn't there something similar in the base game, where if they only took damage relative to the extra HP given to them by armour, they could avoid being in medbay?

Yep. Every armor gave extra HP except maybe kevlar, and if the trooper took all their damage on the armor they'd be fine and dandy. One of the reasons I prefer Titan armor to Archangel or Psi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

Extra hp cannot compare to invisibility plus inbuilt 20 defense.

Someone isn't phasing out their MECs in favor of giving everyone mimetic skin I see.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aces High posted:

I was kinda hoping Siobhan would end up being a Ranger, but being a Grenadier suits her just fine. And yes she is everything I hoped she would be, with all the spikes and the face paint :allears:

Also everyone else covered the pronunciation, but she's a Scot so it's spelt the Gaelic way. Maybe next I'll make a Hamish to accompany her :v:

Jade had issues pronouncing an Italian name. :v: Quick, someone submit a Finnish or Hungarian trooper!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Both Ciaphas and Alessandra out for a week and change with even more Plot coming? Oh boy. Especially given that Alessandra's the only sniper on the roster so far.

Still, at least it was faceless and not chryssalids.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Rewatching this episode, it sounds like stun lancers are the new chryssalids in terms of gameplay. No zombies, but a blindingly fast and suicidally aggressive melee unit that deals huge amounts of damage while not being particularly durable, forcing you to focus fire on it rather than the ranged enemies it screens.

Also, I think Alessandra has yet to land a single pistol shot all game. Might want to keep her heading down the sniper side. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wikipedia posted:

Name[edit]
The foundational breed of what is now the Labrador Retriever was known as the St. John's water dog, St. John's dog, or Lesser Newfoundland. When the dogs were later brought to England, they were named after the geographic area known as "the Labrador" (they were known as Labrador Retrievers because they "retrieved" in the Labrador Sea) or simply Labrador to distinguish them from the larger Newfoundland breed, even though the breed was from the more southern Avalon Peninsula.

The progenitors of the Labrador retriever were actually from Newfoundland and Labrador exceptionally, the breed known as the Newfoundland was created near the same time in Labrador. The two breeds' names and origins were mixed once moved into England and the Americas. The dog from Labrador became the large, long furred dog we see and know today, and the dog from Newfoundland became the Labrador.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Yea, Blademaster makes the first bit of the game much easier. Being able to one shot normal soldiers and sectoids makes cleaning up pods a snap.

I dunno, I don't have X-COM 2 but one of my cardinal rules in Enemy Unknown/Within is "Don't end someone's actions running into the fog." I can see the appeal of sword rangers, but they're feeling much too risky for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Having access Swordmaster is much like having a punch mech in EU/EW. You can ignore that one enemy and kill his buddies, even if it leaves your other units in a flanked position from that irritant because you know you've got an auto remove on hand. This doesn't always work with full health officers and other enemies we haven't seen yet, but early on it saves on grenades and such.

I'm one of those weirdos who barely uses MECs. I like to get one for Portent and Newfoundland, but I prefer a good gene-modded trooper.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Angry Lobster posted:

Oh yeah, Manwhore is a heck of a special snowflake, meanwhile sergeant Ciaphas silently goes like usual and hoards xp by being badass.

And featuring Alessandra once again as "person who is also there, kills maybe one person."

Kinda funny how that goes with her being by far the most drab, professionally dressed person on the team.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 28, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pyroi posted:

Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE RESISTANCE!!

Here's hoping Alessandra comes into her own. Maybe snipers in X-COM 2 are one of those classes that only blooms at higher levels.

On the other hand, I think this is the first mission where she's actually hit with her pistol.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Scribbleykins posted:

I can just imagine how Man Whore's recruitment went down.

Bradford, you just keep doing what you do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MadDogMike posted:

When the story of human victory is told, it will say that the true seeds of alien defeat were sown when they kink-shamed!

I was so tempted to submit that as my character, but I figured submissions like that would be really common so I sent Alessandra "Socks" (she was an assault) Margottini instead, the volunteer from my only classic ironman win of EW.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheDarkFlame posted:

I remember seeing it when he streamed Warthunder, and I haven't had time to watch people stream poo poo in years so that was a while ago. Is it telling that I didn't ever stop to question it?

I knew about it from the Saint's Row 3 LP where Jade Star dressed up his Boss as Hard Gay when he was the guest commentator/co-op partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GuavaMoment posted:

It was shockingly uncommon. It was really just Man Whore and one other guy I'm pushing behind-the-scenes for Jade to put in the LP regardless.

I don't know whether to be impressed or disappointed.

• Locked thread