Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Soldier sent! I actually sorta like how Guile Hair looks with a gas mask, and I decided to include a bio as to why my soldier wears a gas mask in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kurieg posted:

That also folded into the meme about her being the one who chops of the limbs for Mec-ing.

The first time you send a soldier in for MEC-ing in XCOM: Enemy Within, Dr. Vahlen is specifically named as the one being consulted with for the amputations.

You also have the poo poo that goes on in the gene labs, where your soldiers are sent to have their eyes removed and replaced with alien eyes. XCOM: Enemy Within got creepy as gently caress, though it didn't quite seem to follow through on the consequences of that creepiness.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 16, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Again, read the lore. Their eyes are modified thanks to meld, not removed. You play around with enhancing the function of their pupils or giving them better depth perception.

Vahlen is a bit extreme, but she's not that extreme. She calls out the ADVENT elites as completely disregarding ethical practices for their augmentations, going well beyond what she is willing to condone.

Good point. I had just been going on Meld's stated use in the cinematic after you first unlock it, in which Meld is described as being used to bond human tissue to electronics, or human tissue to alien tissue. My assumption had been that Vahlen was using Meld to graft alien body parts onto human soldiers to enhance their capabilities.

Those kinds of things gave the game a very dark tone when I was playing; to me XCOM: Enemy Within was about people losing their humanity in the process of fighting the aliens.

Cythereal posted:

Vahlen is a bit extreme, but she's not that extreme. She calls out the ADVENT elites as completely disregarding ethical practices for their augmentations, going well beyond what she is willing to condone.

Do you mean the EXALT elites in Enemy Within?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 16, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

I agree with all of this.

I just assume "eccentric" involves a lot more... war crimes.

Bradford does mention that Dr. Vahlen is about the most terrifying person that the aliens could possibly have coming to interrogate them.

"Interrogation log 1822 hours: Ze subject appears to exhibit an exceptionally pronounced pain response when ze probe is inserted directly between ze eye and ze tear duct and allowed to penetrate to within one millimeter of ze brain. I vonder if ze pain response would intensify if I vas to apply electrical current. However, my assistant still has yet to return from ze bathroom; when I left the containment unit at 1810 to check on her she was curled up on ze floor sobbing into her labcoat. I vill have to find a nine-volt battery myself."

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I think that medikits might still confer poison immunity to the soldier holding one, though once again the game doesn't appear to actually say this anywhere. I can't recall whether it even remembers to omit the warnings if a medkit user runs through a cloud of poison gas.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT PUNCHING IS NOT AN APPROVED HACKING METHOD AND I'LL NEVER BE PROMOTED TO SUPPORT? MY DREAM IS RUINED!

Hey, it worked for Bradford when he was busting the Commander out of that containment unit.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Doobie Keebler posted:

#Teamgunslinger all the way. Either tree is a good option for sharpshooters but the shenanigans you can get up to with a gunslinger is super fun. I think I only played the tutorials once so it was nice to see the story bits again.

I'm starting to wonder about that for my first Commander playthrough. On my first completed Veteran playthrough I only had one sniper and holy poo poo mister sandman how did you loving empty your entire expanded clip on a series of missed killzone shots for the eighth time

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to dress a sharpshooter up as a cowboy?

Unexpectedly difficult, since there's not a lot of clothing options that look sufficiently cowboy-like. I tried and wound up with whatever the hell this is supposed to be:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Swords have a special place in my preferred method of carrying out an ambush that looks suspiciously like a terrorist attack. A grenade bounces into the middle of an enemy formation and explodes before they realize what the hell's going on, gunfire rains down on them from all sides as they scatter for cover, then some rear end in a top hat with a blood-spattered machete runs in and disembowels the pod leader before they have a chance to organize a counterattack.

I swear to god the Resistance in this game is composed of the sort of people who post Sectoid decapitation videos on youtube.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Jade Star posted:

Hitler had a rocket launcher and spare TU's. A sectoid came out, shot at us, and Hitler made a reaction shoot, that hit the back of a soldier and exploded in a cluster of them killing five.

And then he panicked and started haranguing wildly, driving Vifs into a blind rage during which he unloaded a laser rifle into Skippy "My Balls" Granola. XCOM is the best :allears:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Alkydere posted:

The missions for each: excellent set-pieces. The Nest is a great way to farm up experience early on.

Not only that but there are absolutely no consequences whatsoever to visiting the Nest and completing it definitely does not unleash superpowered alien boss monsters from hell who have a chance to suddenly show up in the middle of every subsequent mission for the rest of the game.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

If a trooper with the Shred ability and a stock on their gun fires, does the guaranteed damage from the stock cause Shred to work?

It doesn't, from what I've seen. Sore disappointment, that.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Nyaa posted:

The Actual-actual mistake is going near the gas station in the first place.

Pretty much; back when I was playing X-COM: UFO Defense gas stations were kill-on-sight. I thought of them as free lighting for the map.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

MelvinBison posted:

And I had stopped the video to queue up Rules of Nature for that last slash too.

RIP Angry Lobster. Served with honor--and some clarified butter.

I love how the debriefing music changes if you've taken KIA. The soldiers on the Skyranger look more somber on the way back too, if they're bringing a body with them :smith:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I only just noticed that the aliens' "Unification Day" is when they first started abducting people, rather than the day that Earth surrendered to them. At least, that's what it looks like based on the starting dates in the two games.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown begins on March 1, 2015, when the aliens drop a bunch of abduction pods on a major city; in response to this the Council authorizes the activation of the previously-dormant XCOM Project and the Skyranger immediately launches for its first mission. XCOM 2 begins with Operation Gatecrasher, which in both the tutorial and non-tutorial missions is timed to occur when the aliens are tied up with the celebrations on the 20th anniversary of Unification Day.

The non-tutorial version of Operation Gatecrasher takes place exactly 20 years after the first abductions, on March 1, 2035. The tutorial version is a bit more fiddly, since you don't get to see any dates until the Avenger lifts off on March 8, 2035, but enough happens during that missing week -- the Commander undergoing major surgery, the recovery and installation of the power converter, and the like -- that Gatecrasher still could have occurred on March 1.

So basically, the aliens really don't give a poo poo when humanity surrendered; the meaning of the holiday is the day that they showed up and started loving around.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 18, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Who the gently caress made a berserker-skin rug and used it to decorate the armory? There are some serious sickos in XCOM nowadays.

I checked and yeah, the rug on the armory floor didn't appear until after Operation Naked Serpent. Christ.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Keep him as Caiphas "Gift Horse" Cain. Guava dared look him in the mouth after that lucky shot.

I imagine it less as a trick shot at an airborne enemy, and more a lucky hit that threw its float engines off balance and sent it spiralling into the ground, at which point Cain climbed onto it and unloaded the rest of his gauss cannon into it until nothing was left but alien hamburger. A hail of bullets is best enjoyed from below, at point fuckin' blank range.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Shameful of it to not even be wearing the sweater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
That ADVENT facility had a number of glass floors in it, with a lot more machinery and poo poo underneath. Was the implication that the facility is a lot bigger than just the parts that you explore during the mission?

• Locked thread