Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Aliens waiting
Rocket launchers aimed and ready
Oh god no hitler why

Am I doing this right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Agreed. Once you get the special ammo types it can get completely stupid with gunslingers.
Gunslingers are fun and while the Sniper tree has some good skills, I found that with the way the game is designed being able to have my sharpshooter be mobile and able to (eventually) damage multiple enemies (while still having a backup rifle) at once to be much more useful.
That said there are some missions where I'd rather take a specced Sniper rather than a Gunslinger, but those are less common.

Cythereal posted:

Also, Jade, I won't be bothered if you rename Alessandra to something you can pronounce. :v:
Nah, Jade should keep the name as it is: it'll be this LP version of "Buenos Aires" from the previous Commander's Guide. :v:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 18, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Add me to the list of the players that swears by Phantom: being able to maneuver a soldier around relatively safely to scout or get a flank off can be invaluable, especially on missions where the squad would normally start revealed, allowing me to be more aggressive with my movements since I can have my Phantom Ranger lead the way unseen. That and I had way too many sword strikes miss that I don't find it reliable enough to bother using unless there are absolutely no better options avaiable or if I have a backup to guarantee the kill if(when) it misses.
Though I haven't played in quite a few months, so that was before Blademasters got their sword accuracy buffed.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I've only had it happen when there is also an enemy squad nearby. I've never seen it happen when it's only a scanner post. Sadly, I have no proof.

It has occurred for me on both failed and successful hacks.
I've had that happen to me as well: the Gremlin is supposed to be invisible but sometimes when the pathing takes it near an enemy squad they will spot it and Reveal the whole squad, though I've found it to be inconsistent (fix your game Jake!).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Bruceski posted:

When I reload a save, I get different hack rolls. What are you guys talking about?
That's what I've been wondering as well: there were a couple of times when I save-scummed a hack to get that sweet +20 permanent skill increase and managed to.
I know that the original had seeded rolls, but that gave me the impression that this one didn't.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Psion posted:

One squadsight sharp makes such a joke of that mission. It's both sad and hilariously awesome. Squadsight is so good.
The one time I let that mission happen, that and a Phantom Ranger flanking around to provide line of sight on the target are what allowed me to basically turtle up until my Sniper could deal with it. It still proved to be quite the challenge.

And speaking of Rangers, I've been playing the game again both because of this LP and to try out the DLCs and now that Blademaster provides that +10 accuracy to sword attacks, I've been relying on melee Rangers a lot more and it has turned out great.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
LOS fuckery like the one in this latest video update can lead to some really :xcom: moments like a mission I ran yesterday where moving one of my soldiers to a position in the middle of the rest of my squad somehow got him line of sight on not one, but two whole enemy pods.
I was really tempted to just reload especially after dealing with two of the three I was busy with a fourth pod with a DLC enemy popped up, but ran with it and managed to get through it with 4 out of my 6 soldiers Gravely Wounded.

Also while I am trying to get more use out of pure Snipers, my one Sniper Sharpshooter with almost 130 Aim keeps missing all of his Killzone shots.
:xcom:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Phuzzy posted:

I made a terrible mistake and went and skull jacked my first guy during the middle of the first Blacksite mission.

Woops. :negative:
Ask me about skull jacking the second guy with my soldier that also activated the two pods I mentioned in one of my previous posts. :suicide:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
While it may have changed, in my experience Suppression always wins over Demolition: the reason for that is that Suppression always applies its effect while also granting me an Overwatch chance against the target if it moves on its turn, so that if I can't kill something like a Stun Lancer I can make it so I have a guaranteed Overwatch shot when it's out of cover and reduce its chance of melee'ing its target.
Demolition instead can outright fail by missing and even when it hits it can just damage the cover instead of destroying it, meaning that even when I do hit I still wasted an action and ammo while leaving an enemy behind high cover and with no debuffs on it.
One gives me a guaranteed strong debuff and a chance for an additional action while the other uses an action while having two chances of wasting it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
It's interesting to see how just the presence of the RNG can cause such differing opinions because of the different results you can get performing the same action: as I said just above I'll take Suppression every day because the Overwatch shot on movement and decreased aim have had an impact in my playthroughs.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I could see that MEC barrage coming a mile away and I'm glad the AI did not disappoint. :allears:

Jade Star posted:

During the video Guava mentions an 'Action Muton' from the stream save file I play with on occasion. Here is that video, it's a highlight on my twitch page and is about 4 minutes long of one determined Muton to not give a gently caress about me trying to kill it.
The Ranger whiffing and getting hit back was why I originally ignored Blademaster: the miss chance is already bad enough for leaving a Ranger in the open, but adding enemies that counter you if you don't kill them is even worse.
Now that Blademaster adds melee accuracy (and the Shadowkeeper can give me someone else to scout with), though, I've changed my stance and have been using melee Rangers a lot more; however I do still keep at least one full Phantom in reserve for specific missions like Retaliatory Strikes.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Julian's nickname should be Ray or Rex. Or perhaps even just METAL GEAR.

(Be happy I didn't suggest Sahelanthropus)
If we're going with the Metal Gear references, why not Liquid given his attitude towards his father and brothersister? :cheeky:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

What is it about XCOM 2 that makes this effect so much more noticeable than in XCOM EU/EW? I recall numerous points where you would freely use consumables early and often to deny as many shots as you could- it took several episodes before we saw so much as enemy weapons fire.
In addition to more pod variety, even basic enemies on this difficulty have more hitpoints than you can remove reliably with a single grenade.
I tend to be more liberal with grenades than Jade is at the moment but these factors mean that you do want to keep explosives in reserve until you get a good shot opportunity (multiple enemies in the AoE) or something that really needs its armor shredded NOW but your Gunners have poor shots.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Duke "Has-Been" Nukem. :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Get Phantom: a Phantom Ranger is more situational than a Blademaster since you trade off a soldier shooting for being able to spot and prepare for incoming pods even in missions where you are detected, so it's a trade-off but one where it's worth keeping one around for.
Also in a pinch they can get you a "free" flanking shot (or two with another skill).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
That was cathartic.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
As I said before, the last video was very cathartic since it cannot be overstated how BS the Archon can be: it's only through insane luck that it didn't wipe my team when I ran into it and I was even more lucky when I got an execution on the bastard right when it tried teleporting away so that I did not have to deal with him again in that playthrough.
It still ended with my entire team out of commission for a long while and one potential fatality avoided thanks to a lucky saving throw my grenadier pulled off as he was bleeding in the middle of a street.

As for who to pick next, I'll say anyone that has a custom bio. :v:
And the gun should totally get a name. :colbert:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

This is one of the missions I love having Phantom on. I usually use it to scout out ambushes to throw grenades on, but in this one allows you to camp the avenger ramp and just let your sniper shoot the objective while a guy just sits cloaked in a corner looking at the macguffin at little risk to himself.
This is how I managed to get through my Avenger mission when I was fielding mainly Magnetic weapons. It was nowhere as controlled as Jade's engagement, though it was partly my fault since the UFO intercepted me fair and square, unlike in the video where it decided to just cheat and "catch" Jade from the other side of the globe. :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Man, that was quite a few bullshit moments.
Jake, game, fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

And that 2nd avatar Kill Zone is why I never really liked that skill. You just don't know what you're getting when you click: fields of view are too janky in XCOM, and at longer ranges you may not have two adjacent visible squares for enemies to move between with all the little columns and other blockers. (But it is still great when it works, though, and I've stopped exclusively doing gunslinger-type Sharpshooters.)
That's what made me write off that skill in my playthroughs: almost every time I use it, the enemy somehow manages to not trigger it even when I set it up where it should work perfectly. When it works it's amazing as Jade has shown off repeatedly, but the LOS makes it just too unreliable for me.

And congratulations on completing the LP Jade! I hope you can get Vegas to work again soon because I'm really looking forward to a Battle Brothers LP.

• Locked thread