Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
On a very :goonsay: note, I can't figure out what's going on with the time display when you move the Avenger around. I don't know if anyone else has noticed that when you lift off, the time display seems to "jump" several hours, then when you land, it "jumps" again, in the other direction. For example, as you took off from Brazil, the time display went from 8:04 PM to 12:05 AM. Then when you landed in Mexico, it "jumped" from 5:59 AM to 10:00 PM.

I thought "Oh, I know what this is. It's not a bug, it's time zones! When you're flying, the time is shown in UTC, but when you land, it's in local time." But that doesn't fit. You started in Brazil, where the time zone is UTC-3*. I.e., when it's noon in UTC (also known as Greenwich Mean Time), it should be 9:00 AM in Brazil. But if that were what's going on, the time display should have jumped forward to 11:00 PM, not back to 12:00 AM. Even if they used one of Brazil's other time zones, like UTC-4 or UTC-5, the time should have jumped forward to either 12:00 AM on June 2nd (it was June 1st when you took off), or 1:00 AM on June 2nd. But the display still said June 1st when you took off. And Mexico's time zones range from UTC-5 to UTC-8, so again, the time should have jumped back, not forward, when you landed.

... Unless there's BOTH time zones AND a bug going on here. That would explain it, actually. The bug is that the date display doesn't change when it should. If they have all of Brazil listed as UTC-4, and all of Mexico listed as UTC-8, that would explain the times that you were seeing. And the date should have gone to June 2nd in UTC, but it stayed on June 1st. Yeah, that would explain what's going on.

Maybe that wasn't bothering anyone else; I seem to be the first one to have commented on it. But it was bothering me for I don't know how many videos, and I'm glad that I've finally (I think) figured it out.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Brazil shows multiple time zones for Brazil, but in the east of Brazil where you were, the time zone is UTC-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Tombot posted:

And theres no way you can download the twitch stream?

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/ handles that just fine. I'm downloading the Twitch stream with it right now as I type this comment. It's a command-line program with lots of options, but it has sensible defaults; I just had to type "youtube-dl https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/103381873" and it automatically parsed the page, extracted the stream info, and started downloading it.

You do need 2x as much free space on your hard disk as the size of the final video when you download Twitch streams, because Twitch serves it up in small video+audio fragments of a few seconds long. And youtube-dl will save each fragment to the hard disk (so it can resume quickly if the download gets interrupted), plus it also starts assembling the final video file as each fragment comes in, so that you can start watching right away without having to wait for all the fragments to come in. After the entire file has been assembled, youtube-dl will delete all the fragments -- but when the file is 99.9% downloaded, the total size used on disk will be twice the file size, because each fragment is present twice.

But as long as you have 3-4 gigabytes of free space, youtube-dl is a great option for downloading Twitch streams.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Ciaphas "HERO OF THE XCOM" Cain. Or just Hero

This is what I immediately thought of after watching that Archon execution, so I'm throwing my vote behind this. Or "HERO OF XCOM" would also be acceptable.

And while I like "Commissar" and "Jurgen" for the gun names, I believe its rightful name should be "Firing Line".

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

According to some Internet sources, Sacrifice will even redirect AOE damage from your soldiers to the SPARK, so if a Muton sees your soldiers all clumped up around Julian (because of the small radius of Sacrifice) and throws a grenade at them, every hit from the grenade will be applied to Julian instead. Which means that now it's a question of "are they applied separately or together?" Does Julian's 6 armor (4 base + 2 from Sacrifice) count against every single one of those grenade damage rolls separately? If so, that would be huge. And hilarious.

Vote for shenanigans! Vote for Sacrifice!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

The "Relax, let it happen" line was in the original XCOM too. One of a few "are we the baddies?" moments in the game.

The implications of the Domination ability — permanently switching out someone's loyalties without their consent — are all there if you think about it. That line just makes it more obvious for those who didn't bother thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

It's probably one of several possibilities, but were you thinking of the "rear end in a top hat aliens running from a bigger threat in the core" space 4X game called Sins of a Solar Empire? It's from 2008 rather than DOS-era, but it does include that element.

I thought it was probably Starflight, in which the setup for the plot is, "Something is causing suns to go nova, in a steady progression from the galactic core outwards. Based on the current rate of spread, we have about 5 years before the nova wave reaches the Sol system and all life on Earth is destroyed. Go out there, figure out what's causing this, and stop it." 800 planets to explore, yet it fit on a single 720K floppy due to the clever way the planets were procedurally generated.

• Locked thread