Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gridlocked posted:

Uugughghghhg Alien Hunters DLC on, but it was so bad. Also not going to use the Long War Team's mods :(?

Long War is bad and you should feel bad for suggesting it.

And honestly, I'm not going to top NAPTIME already in your stream character set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ZealousQ posted:

Oh god, can someone submit Pauline Hanson. She obviously hates aliens.

I want an AusPol squad so bad.

If Jade is using his stream team as well, there is already a scientist Tony Abbott.

For what that's worth.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Moving to Flank them
Oh no! I activated
a Sectopod pod.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Crosspeice posted:

Bradford's gun is definitely something, as we'll soon see. It's pretty cool to see all the story set up after beating the game so many times. The Tutorial is alright, especially compared to the first game's one. It's also good you're playing Commander, cause it means you can actually use Sword Rangers and they're not mediocre unlike Legendary. Actually, I'm trying to remember if my Sword Rangers were mediocre even on Commander.

Also, once this tutorial stuff is over and done with, are we going to see the actual Gatecrasher mission and just ditch this campaign? Cause right now, you're sitting at two losses, a lack of corpses and supplies and you couldn't even go down to Engineering! To be frank, Commander, you lost the war before you even started.

Hey now, there are fresh rookie corpses out there.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kurieg posted:

One thing that irks me about the opening cutscene is that they apparently remove an implant in the base of your skull through your nose, according to the camera work.

Also is the idea supposed to be that everything after the base defense was (minor spoilers until the next Tygan cutscene)the simulation?

pretty sure that the whole first game is black bars now.

Also unconciousness is a giant pain. I can stop people bleeding to death, but can't wake people up?!

Also, I love how no-one is in remotely medical gear while surgerying.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 16, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Brainamp posted:

It's not really a meme so much as acknowledged in-game that she had zero qualms about torture and interrogation of alien prisoners.

Look,. it's not like they're PEOPLE.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lunethex posted:

JAIDS has already struck during a stream tonight. No telling how this will affect the LP.

:suicide:

Jaids. Jaids never changes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cythereal posted:

She also comments that the limbs are being put in cryogenic storage and hopes that with meld they can be reattached when the war ends.

Again, Vahlen only resorts to the neural probes because nevermind the language issue, most aliens aren't physically capable of speech. Most are also lobotomized - if you read the interrogation reports, Vahlen mentions using traditional interrogation techniques on aliens like thin men where traditional methods can work. She brain probes aliens like sectoids and floaters.

Vahlen's eccentric to be sure, and without supervision probably would get carried away, but I found her endearing and the most memorable character in the game.

Again, read the lore. Their eyes are modified thanks to meld, not removed. You play around with enhancing the function of their pupils or giving them better depth perception.

Vahlen is a bit extreme, but she's not that extreme. She calls out the ADVENT elites as completely disregarding ethical practices for their augmentations, going well beyond what she is willing to condone.

Look, Vahlen and Ethics have a very special relationship.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I have opinions.

Wrong opinions by the sounds of it.

For much the same reason that people who take Snapshot are wrong, interestingly.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Psi zombies really should get an action or two when they wake up. Though maybe that'd make Sectoids too dangerous for new players.

Phantom is a good way to ruin perfectly good over-watch parties. And means you are not as good at HANZO STEEL as you otherwise could be.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Otherwise known as the World Of Warcraft style of dice rolling.

So it is essentially crit - hit - miss off a d100.

Fix your game, Jake.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In general you can do something about your lovely to hit chances.

There is nothing you can do to fix your hack chances.

Also "To prevent savescumming" is a terrible excuse for a design decision. Just accept that some people want to play the single player game they bought their way already.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Brainamp posted:

The game's already rolled a 67, 48, 92, and 45 ahead of you taking your soldier's actions. This is where you can take advantage of it by save-scumming to change the order in which you use those four numbers.
Personally never saw much issue with the way the game handles its rng. Whether it's been rolled already or will be rolled at the moment of acting, it's still a random number.

Except it's not random. Because you can load and put the specific numbers in a different spot.
A Random number is one that you cannot know before pressing the button. If it's pre-rolled and your next 4 actions have their numbers assigned, even if you load, it is not random. You have some idea what the numbers are.

The simplest way around this is, even with a psuedo-random number generator, to move a number of steps down the list based on the decimal of a second (so the .059 of 12.059s. Even if you only count to hundredths of a second, no human is so precise as to be able to hit the button at the exact same time except via chance.

tl;dr fix your game, Jake!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I prefer doing pseudo/'soft' ironman, where all deaths are final and I just roll with it because I never trust an XCOM game not to screw up on me. Unless it's a character I made based on someone I know, in which case I roll that back because oh god I'm so sorry why is there so much blood I need to make that not happen.

I do this because sometimes games break.And it's nice to only lose minutes of progress instead of all of it when it happens.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

my dad posted:

The LPer Marbozir made a wonderful (but unfortunately spoileriffic) video of just how amazing massed repeaters are.

A may have had my sniper's repeater trigger on a certain DLC enemy.

It certainly took the pressure off.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RIP all the techs.

The Aliens in Jade's game are literally JAIDS.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

AlanFrost posted:

To clarify, that method does rely on the Retroactive AWC mod. I was trying to say that if you have Retroactive AWC mod, there is a way to get the AWC skill without leveling up (if the soldier is at or above their needed rank). Therefore, a soldier reaching max rank does not "lose their skill forever" if you have Retroactive AWC mod and build the AWC after the soldier reaches max rank. I... can't imagine why you would have a max rank soldier, but no AWC though.

My first playthrough I had a Colonel before I got the AWC. I had other things to spend my supplies on.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Angry "Cruise Ship" Lobster

Lightning hands best hands. Will try to pay attention to get nicknames for the other, less important, characters.

Alessandra "Snap Shot" Margottini

Chris "Half Off" Gasmask

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 31, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am gonna assume that grenade panics is a mod thing, right?

Right?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zack Ater posted:

Using your Spark for cover is just asking to be AoE'd, Jade!

If Julian's been stuck in this factory, how did he hack Rovr? Whatever he did, why not use that to escape to the internet? It's no physical body, sure, but it beats being stuck there forever.

you know who shrugs off AOE generally?
Sparks with all the armour.
I forget if the Advent-MEC rocket thing shreds armour.

Still, I haven't noticed Jade getting heavily bombed with his Bulwark SPARK on streams.

But Jade DOES need to go big with Overdrive more.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Spudd posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hold the gently caress up, turrets are hard? All you have to do is destroy the 1 square they're on and they die. They're never on the ground, they can always fall.

Turrets are a zero threat enemy. That is a first.

Unless it changes on the Commander and you can't destroy terrain and I just never knew that.

EDIT: ohhh you meant in the mission! Right, my bad

Turrets can actually show up on ground level in regular missions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Chris "Hubris Button" Gasmask

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

GuavaMoment posted:

The joke might go over people's heads since we say it so often but 99% of every "fix your game, Jake" is tongue-in-cheek. I've personally never encountered a game breaking bug, or other serious flaw. The tiny, somewhat humorous odd mistakes are plentiful though, mostly harmless, and kind of give the game some charm. XCOM is like goat simulator - they'll fix the game breaking bugs, but leave everything else in because it's hilarious because Jake is too busy to fix his game.

Also I suggest Eph "Phenolphthalein" Phatha. Too long? Don't care. Epitaph is great too.

Jade was also one of the people to find out what happens when you poison a certain bulky alien.
Sometimes they are more serious bugs than others.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stephen9001 posted:

You know, I think I can easily make an argument for Phantom over Blademaster.

Phantom is the preferred choice of Beaglerush.

Yes, that is my entire argument.

Counterpoint - HANZO STEEL.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

in honour of killing with all his melee attacks, and missing all his shots:

Hulk "Crab Hands" Hogan
(also because of your Giant Robotic Crab syndrome)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That is certainly one option. But not the only one.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Julian "Sentry" Punchbot.

Or Julian "Torrets"

Julian "Jaids" Bot.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 25, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Canuck-Errant posted:

To be fair, Giant Crab Syndrome kind of dies down once the Shadow Chamber pops and you can see exactly how many enemies and of what types will show up on a mission.

It's cute you think Jade's memory will last long enough for him to remember things like that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Look, Jade is away.
One wonders what else you think
Was gonna happen

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 30, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Julian "HubrisButton" Shen
Julian "Ironcast" Shen

worn out. No time to haiku.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lunethex posted:

In the next mission Jade's campaign is lost

Operation: Rhomer's Revenge.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dark Flame Master posted:

I remember my first run-in with the second of the Rulers.

My first shot on it was an 'Executed!' from my Support (who had a repeater, because why not), and I was so hyped about it that I didn't even care when a round later I missed three 80% shots on something else.

I also repeatered the 2nd ruler. Good times.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You can always take Mind Shields or later things to mitigate it until they stop getting shot long enough to shake it off.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Xenoborg posted:

I'm surprised you are both so into countering the breakthrough dark events. They, like all (almost all?) other sources of avatar, are completely removable later. That combined with being able to run down the clock, I consider the breakthroughs a free space to counter something else.

The key word is LATER. I exdpect at some point Jade will 'show off' the clock. Keeping the clock low means you're more able to deal with other things the game throws at you. And kind of set the pace. if it goes high, the clock sets the pace which can lose you the game.

Plus only the clock can actually game over you. Everything else just slows you down.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

CJacobs posted:

Sure, but overcorrecting balance issues seems to be the main aim of XCOM 2's development. If something was too easy, now it's too hard. If something was too forgiving, now it's too punishing. imo they haven't found a good middle ground in almost anything that has changed since the game came out.

eg: the insane action economy demands of Lord Snakeman.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Even if it was taking fire (because X-Com and 95% success chances) it'd be a lot less sadistic.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Elth posted:

Seeing how most of the aliens are simply cloned en masse, presumably from a master copy that suits that particular role, the need for differing genders for reproductive purposes seems moot.

That said, now it seems even weirder that not only do vipers have breasts (maybe from incorporating human DNA as they did for sectoids?), but they retain their ability to breed with the viper king. Or that there's even a viper king in the first place (how did Vahlen even find these guys?). Are some species bred rather than cloned? Life finds a way?
Vahlen probably just adjusted regular snakewomen so that they'd be fertile for REASONS.

And maybe the aliens kept a viable breeding host around for reasons - possibly research or cloning improvements. And their ship crashed also for reasons.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Operation: Jade Star and the bad decisions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hunt11 posted:

Try using an acid grenade on the berserker queen as it has a chance on glitching it and making the queen just stand still and take the damage.

They fixed that bug. Which did hit Jade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

After that shooting, Bubblegum

• Locked thread