Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Dang, I go away for a bit and this happens. I suppose I missed the signup period, but if not let me know so I can die horribly while wearing a stupid hat. For some reason the game runs like rear end on my computer ever since the Anarchy's Children DLC came out, so it's good to have more XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

I remember my first skulljacking. It was a dark VIP mission.

:xcom: happened

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

TheDarkFlame posted:

On the subject of VIPs, I've only seen one VIP die: He was taking cover behind a car, I was the other side of the street, and the aliens blew up the car with a salvo of terrible missed shots. I also on the same mission had my evac point suddenly change on me, so instead of being in the far corner where I was moving to, it was on top of a building near my starting location. Not sure why that happened but it doesn't help if you think you're almost there.

Does the bug where the VIP dies if the car blows up even if he's nowhere nearby still happen? I've never experienced it myself, but the main XCOM thread had something like that back when I still followed it.

Also the evac point change usually means the original one got blown up somehow, though I have had it happen at the start of a mission because it spawned on top of an enemy pod.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Does the game still cheat behind the scenes on rolls like it did the first game? Like if you're missing shots and getting shot yourself the game will purposfully make your next shot hit or the next enemy shot a miss?

Yep! On every difficulty below legend, the game gives you an invisible bonus to hit for repeated missed shots and dead soldiers. The opposite happens for the enemy, so if you start taking hits or losing people they get penalties. Here's the relevant bits from the config files.

code:
 ; Aim Assist
NormalSquadSize=4
ReasonableShotMinimumToEnableAimAssist=50
MaxAimAssistScore=95

; Rookie
AimAssistDifficulties[0]=( \\
	BaseXComHitChanceModifier=1.2, \\
	MissStreakChanceAdjustment=10, \\
	HitStreakChanceAdjustment=-10, \\
	SoldiersLostXComHitChanceAdjustment=15, \\
	SoldiersLostAlienHitChanceAdjustment=-10 )

; Veteran
AimAssistDifficulties[1]=( \\
	BaseXComHitChanceModifier=1.1, \\
	MissStreakChanceAdjustment=10, \\
	HitStreakChanceAdjustment=0, \\
	SoldiersLostXComHitChanceAdjustment=10, \\
	SoldiersLostAlienHitChanceAdjustment=-10 )

; Commander
AimAssistDifficulties[2]=( \\
	BaseXComHitChanceModifier=1.0, \\
	MissStreakChanceAdjustment=15, \\
	SoldiersLostXComHitChanceAdjustment=0, \\
	SoldiersLostAlienHitChanceAdjustment=0 )

; Legend
AimAssistDifficulties[3]=( \\
	BaseXComHitChanceModifier=1.0, \\
	MissStreakChanceAdjustment=0, \\
	SoldiersLostXComHitChanceAdjustment=0, \\
	SoldiersLostAlienHitChanceAdjustment=0 )
No, I'm not sure why the game does it for Commander too.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

This let's play is very cathartic for me to watch because I will never, ever, ever finish an XCOM 2 campaign. I will start 500 XCOM 2 campaigns, get a couple of months into it, and just stop because after a week or so of not playing it I open my save, won't remember where I am or have any idea what's going on, and just quit.

Same, except replace "a week or so of not playing" with "I found a new mod that looks cool".

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Killzone can no longer fire from concealment.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Well I've got no idea then. I've personally had it work with squadsight, but the XCOM games are not the most well programmed.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Something nobody's mentioned about the Bradfordranger yet that makes it even better/more horrifying: I'm pretty sure the landing struts have teeth on them.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Does the RAGE suit increase the damage your melee weapons do? It feels like it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

One thing I like about the commander's avatar is that it has the colonel rank icon from Enemy Unknown. Dunno if that ever got pointed out.

• Locked thread