Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
When I saw that this cosmetic mod includes mission awards for 'kill stealer' and 'literally the worst' I knew I had to recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Ranger, Shadow Strike vs Shadow Step

Shadow Strike - +25 Aim and +25% Crit chance when attacking out of concealment.

Like the previous choice for Ranger skills this skill choice offers two wildly different skills. Shadow Strike may be nice for coming out of an ambush, but that is going to apply once a mission, two tops with a later skill, and the impact of the bonuses from Shadow Strike may not be wholly necessary either. Typically if you're ambushing something you have them flanked or unware and not in cover, your chances to hit and crit are already very high. Still I can see the value in it if there wasn't the cost of not picking Shadow Step attached to having Shadow Strike.

Shadow Strike applies any time the enemy couldn't see you at the start of your action. So it works out of concealment, but it also works when you're just running around a corner.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

zyxophoj posted:

You made me try it. Tendales is correct. (Fortunately for the soldier getting squeezed by this snake, as this would otherwise have 20% chance to miss)

Fix your descriptions, Jake.

Never trust in-game descriptions. Always trust me, a random guy on the internet.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Deep Cover might have had a use if hunkering down would actually hide you enough to trigger Shadowstrike, but I don't think it does. I haven't actually tested, though; I almost never hunker down anyway.

e: A reminder for Shadowstrike, since I just noticed you actually took it. It doesn't actually say this in the tooltip, but it triggers any time the enemy didn't see you at the start of the action, even if you weren't concealed. This means if you're around a corner, you can get the shadowstrike bonus on a slash attack. I'm pretty sure stepping out and then shooting will lose shadowstrike, though, since that's two actions and you're visible after the move. Another thing that's probably worth testing!

Tendales fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 20, 2016

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Talow posted:

If that's true, then with the way Jade uses snipers, Shadowstrike on a sniper would be extremely good because of the effectively passive +25% aim and crit.

Probably! I don't think Shadowstrike is on the AWC list, though. Alas.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Random_Username posted:

So how bad is the current time limit here, actually? I mean, clearly it's a mess since it seems to hit 2 pips simultaneously from now on, but is it just blacksites and plot missions from here on out, or is it still manageable?

I loved Enemy Unknown, but I played that thing for several ingame months more than I had to. I don't like time limits in games, even when they're reasonable (Pikmin 2 was the best of the trilogy, just for getting rid of that asinine day counter).

2 pips at a time isn't exactly normal, the game's just being an rear end in a top hat right now.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Menace 1-5, you can't cut back on funding! You will regret this!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The bug only happened in the loadout screen, so she's clearly only Mostly 'armless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

I've never quite understood the whole "we're subjugating you to combat a larger threat that would subjugate you even worse" stance aliens seem to love to take.

Like, you've studied humanity, you've seen how they react to poo poo. Why not just say hi and ask for help? Too much work?

e: I know it's all narrative convenience, but it's just dumb to me

I like the Star Control twist on this. The backstory there is that humanity finally gets their poo poo together after a teeny little android uprising, they unite for world peace, seal away all their nuclear weapons as obsolete, and start patting each other on the backs.

Then the Alliance shows up and says 'Yeah, you kids are adorable, but we could really use the crazy nuke-flinging monkey variety of humans right now, please invent some warships, chop chop'

• Locked thread