Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Jade Star posted:

For those of you wondering about the character pool, as of this post i am 71 entries in and i swear that 50% of you picked the laid back attitude. and about 40% of you picked twitchy. So i am concluding that goons are either too lazy to worry about anything, or anxious as gently caress about everything.

Ahhh and here I see this post right after I sent in my application requesting Twitchy just because that sounded amusing to me. Go ahead and change mine to Happy-Go-Lucky if you want some variety because that also sounds pretty hilarious for a soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Haikus can be fun.
But they don't always make sense.
Refrigerator.

Seriously though really looking forward to the LP. I never managed to get very far into it, but I might need to start a new game and play along with the LP and see if I can keep my rebellion alive this time around.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

My experience with weapon mods is mostly limited to the early game, but I was really really pleased when I first saw them.

I initially really really overvalued stocks because I misunderstood what they did. I thought they just flat out added a damage, as in a 3-5 damage gun would become 4-6. I eventually noticed my mistake. I ended up tossing them onto stuff like shotguns and cannons, since I figured hey the guns with the lowest aim will be missing the most.

Laser sights and scopes I usually stuck on shotguns or snipers, since they're the two guns you usually wanted to hit or crit on the most.

I usually just skipped repeaters or hair triggers unless I had an extra upgrade slot with nothing better to put in it. I didn't like the low percentage chance to do anything but I figured it was better than nothing at all and I could always replace it later.

Extended magazines and loaders I loved, I always wanted more. I stuck every one I had on my snipers and grenadiers and then handed the rest out to other soldiers. Snipers are slower so cutting down time on reloading in any way was great. And being able to make a three ammo grenadier cannon into five ammo with a free reload turned it into one hell of a bullet hose.

ousire fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 21, 2016

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

The best thing about faceless is when you trigger the cinematic camera on them. Since they're almost always right up by a solider, you usually get these really dramatic looking shots of this giant slimy thing looming ominously over some poor guy.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I think the JAIDS is infecting my game through the LP. Just had the enemies bug out on a mission.

I set up an ambush for a pod while I was in concealment. I set all my guys but one to overwatch, and the last guy threw a grenade at the pod to activate it. I figured I'd do some burst damage, shred some armor, and the aliens would scatter and get turned to swiss cheese by the rest of my overwatch'd team. Instead what happened was. . . Nothing. The aliens literally made no moves and just stood still. Didn't take cover, didn't overwatch, didn't fire, anything. I just killed em and moved on, figuring the game's turn order bugged out a bit. But then the aliens didn;'t do anything for the rest of the mission. I literally could run right into range and they didn't even trigger or anything, just stood still while my soldiers mowed em down.

Then they were still bugged when I started the next mission so I decided that was a good time to call a break. hopefully they're not still glitched out or I might need to start my campaign over. I might end up needing to do that anyway since I kinda procrastinated on the Avatar project doing the fun DLC missions that I've never seen before and researching the tier two guns and armor. Hopefully I've not screwed myself one way or another :v:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Was it possible you got the loot at the end of the mission because of the mission type? Recovered some equipment from the box you hacked?

It's unlikely, but hey, worth a try? :v:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

On Rainmaker, I assume there is a later skill or upgrade that gives the SPARK an additional use of it's heavy weapon? It would be odd if your Grenadiers could get double grenades, but sparks not double rocket (or whatever else they can fire. I've not seen many heavy weapons yet)

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Just instead make a mod that replaces every place name with stuff Jade can't pronounce. A mission in Llancarfan, anyone? :v:

Toss in Calgary and Buenos Aires a couple of times and it'll be perfect.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

you mentioned trying to get a kill for that one soldier to clear the shaken effect. Does destroying a relay technically count as a "kill" for getting your willpower back?

ousire fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 25, 2016

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Clearly the best solution is to take a team of all pistol snipers, each with a different kind of special ammo. You'll win, just through sheer number of bullets shot per round! :v:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Had a wonderful :xcom: moment last night:

I started a new playthrough of the game thanks in part to this LP, I just got to the second month and got a mission to destroy a relay. I sneak my way to the relay room without activating any pods, and blow it up with two of my units. A flare for an incoming pod appears, and I think to myself "Okay I'll just take out this drop-in group and then go around to clean up the rest of the pods. Easy mission."

Instead what happens is after the pod drops in, every other pod on the map shows up in the same turn. I'm pretty sure it totaled something like three sectoids, three stun troops, two commanders, and two or three regular troops.And I'm just four guys, all with starting gear, and all of them only level 1 or two tops. One of them might even have been a rookie still. And I was flanked on literally all sides. Even with the frost grenade to pause a few guys and regular grenades to try and clear as many guys up in one turn as I could, my team got slaughtered.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

A question about rulers since you mentioned acid grenades on them: If you give them some sort of debuff, will it persist through all appearances? So if you got acid or fire on the queen, would she still be taking damage every turn the next time you see her? And will she still be holotargeted?

Edit: And speaking of ways to reveal faceless, I have to say, thank you guys for convincing me to try battle scanners. I became quite addicted to them in my campaign and ended up equipping at least one to every mission, sometimes even two if I had an extra utility slot to fill or I expected particularly nasty enemies I wanted to keep an eye out for.

ousire fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 25, 2016

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

echoing other's sentiments that you should probably just skip the music clips if it's going to cause technical trouble and delays and risks facing the wrath of youtube's terrible copyright system. We're all here to watch aliens get shot in the face and Guava making fun of you anyway, we can live without Skyranger Radio DJ time. :v:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I love that the codename for the berserker queen research is just "Hulk".

the description for the research makes me laugh every time too. Tygan mentions he understands why she made the modifications she did, and that she did a really good job doing them, but god drat woman you really did not need to actually MAKE this thing.

Edit: Holy gently caress that ending GET hosed ARCHON KING

ousire fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 13, 2016

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Nickname him commissar because he executed the hell out of that ruler.

And then sticking with the theme, name his gun The Warhammer

Or switch the two, if you feel it's more appropriate the other way around.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Repeaters are the things I just throw onto any open slots I have. Might as well use them because they're doing no good sitting in storage and my empty slots aren't helping at all. but if I get a more useful mod I'll replace em.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I love Andromedon's design. Some alien that's totally different from any other lifeform we've seen so far, piloting some sort of crazy Big Daddy style diving suit. Coming across them for the first time is a hell of an unpleasant surprise for a new player though when you don't know about the mech form. It's another one of those things that's just a gently caress you surprise to a new player, thinking you've safely eliminated a dangerous new enemy, and then surprise! It just gets back up like some kind of mechanical zombie and starts spraying acid everywhere. Like when you first skulljack an Officer and a Codex pops out; you just have no idea it's going to happen and screw you if you weren't prepared for something you had no way of knowing to be prepared for.

Also, in another Jake Fix Your Game moment, Andromedons are annoying in that if you debuff one and kill it, the mech form doesn't keep any of the debuffs. I assume because behind the scenes it just spawns a new enemy when the Andromedon dies, and the new enemy doesn't keep any info like debuffs from the original.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Jade Star posted:

I tried to load the forge mission up again and have Julian open the casket as Guava wanted. Wasn't able to. Went back to mission select to try something and...

Yup, Julian can't carry soldiers and the game is programmed to handle that. Sort of. I don't know why there is a empty window on top of the first one, covering the upper left part of this image.

Were you attempting to enter the mission with just Julian? So what would happen if you brought a SPARK along for this mission and then every human character died? Would you just get a game over even though you still had one unit alive because you can't carry the plot macguffin?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

vdate posted:

Oh, come on. If there's one thing Julian isn't, it's :geno:. All his line readings are delivered as smugly as possible. Even the angry ones.

":smug: Father really outdid himself, didn't he? :smug: :smug: :smug:"

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Dinictus posted:

Honestly, we can make more SPARKs. Take Nova on Julian and look at the alternative skill setup for another SPARK another time, if or when you get to another SPARK.

Wouldn't it make more sense to give Julian Sacrifice since he's already extra tanky, and make the second spark the Novabot? I'd vote sacrifice just because of his first skill choice, and if a second spark gets built, give it Nova and make it as deadly as possible.

ousire fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 5, 2017

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Somewhere in there needs to be 3 instances of the game breaking or the Avatar Project meter going nuts

I think you mean the Crabatar Project.

ousire fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 19, 2017

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

It's never really brought up much, but Tygan is hardcore. Dude ripped a chip out of the back of his own head. And assuming it's the same style chip that was plugged into the Commander, it's huge, spiky, and intentionally designed to never be removed.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Someone just make a Guava soundboard for Jade and he could finish the LP in record time

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I think the idea is that they DON'T just openly broadcast the 'alien-y' stuff around civilians. Like that was the whole point of the Advent soldiers being all carefully doctored up to look human as possible and their real faces kept under wraps, wasn't it? to hide how alien they were? I think the implication is that they try and keep the alien stuff separate from the average civilian.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

So when are we getting a Guavabot voice pack for Julian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

So then clearly we need to get Guava to LP the Rabbids game, and then Jade can be his co-commentator.

• Locked thread