Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
First off: I am offended at myself for having missed that this was a thing for this long. I need to start paying attention to the runs I don't have tagged once in a while to see if there's a game I like in there.

Second: I missed you guys.

I must admit, while I know there are no promises about anything after this run finishes, I'm curious how Jade would rate the various perk choices in the revamped classes from the LW Perk Pack.

Also, can't wait to see you deal with more "Unforeseen difficulties". I remember finding a hilarious way to cheese Subject Alpha both times he showed up for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yesterday I learned that the Unexpected Troubles™ can show up on plot missions - Subject Alpha showed up during the ADVENT Forge for me, which I was NOT pleased about.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Best part, he was inside the building. So I go inside, and he's just all "Sup." and I just think "WHAT NO. WHY ARE YOU HERE. WHY ARE YOU INSIDE. WHY."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

TheDarkFlame posted:

On the subject of VIPs, I've only seen one VIP die: He was taking cover behind a car, I was the other side of the street, and the aliens blew up the car with a salvo of terrible missed shots. I also on the same mission had my evac point suddenly change on me, so instead of being in the far corner where I was moving to, it was on top of a building near my starting location. Not sure why that happened but it doesn't help if you think you're almost there.

The AWC bonus is kind of useful at times, is every skill up for grabs on every class? You guys complained about Blast Padding being uneventful, but one of my rangers managed to get Aim, which is... uhh. Yeah.

I don't know if *every* skill is up for grabs, but there are actually a few that are *exclusive* to the AWC and are really rare - Lightning Reflexes is still in the game!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

TheDarkFlame posted:

My flatmate is playing on Easy and isn't having many issues (which I wouldn't mind so much if he didn't gloat about it.)

Tell him he's bad and should feel bad for gloating about doing well on easy. At the very least bump up to Veteran, man. Have a little dignity.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have indeed seen normal Berserkers attack ADVENT units instead of myself - it's by no means reliable, but it does happen occasionally.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

Duke "sucks," Nukem.

Watching this I become more inclined to buy the game, as long as the console versions aren't boned.

Mods can do SO much for the game... mods that the console versions don't get. If at all possible, I'd say get it for PC

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One thing the "re-enter concealment" ability is very useful for, though I preface this by saying I've only done this once, and I don't know if it was the AI wigging out or if it's just how the AI works:

If your scout is the only one in range of an Alien Ruler, and he re-enters concealment, the Ruler will just sorta... stop doing anything. I did this to the third ruler once, the one we haven't seen yet. I had my ranger vanish, then had the two snipers I (for some reason) had on the mission just start taking shots - he still got ruler reactions, but didn't *do* anything with them, and just burned down (one of the snipers had fire bullets) until he decided "screw this, I'm out" and summoned his gate.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now we just need a Saints Row/XCOM crossover

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=670520185
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=669528118
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=653173212
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=656127493

Here you go.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ousire posted:

echoing other's sentiments that you should probably just skip the music clips if it's going to cause technical trouble and delays and risks facing the wrath of youtube's terrible copyright system. We're all here to watch Aliens and Jade's soldiers get shot in the face and Guava making fun of you anyway, we can live without Skyranger Radio DJ time. :v:

Fixed that for you

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I still remember my best execution.

Kiefer "Big Boss" Sutherland, who got recruited toward the end of my first campaign as a colonel Ranger from a scan site, I took him the full stealth-tree perks because Big Boss.

Handed him a shotgun with a repeater on it, and took him into the field.

His first ever *SHOT* of his entire career under my leadership... was to Execute a full-health Sectopod, out of phantom-Concealment. It was *perfect*.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I can confirm, for the record, that Stasis works on Rulers, and freezes them for a full turn!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There's a lot in Long War 2 I really don't like, so I believe I'm going to abstain. It feels like they just hate any kind of reliable convenience, or anything with a reliable, consistent use.

I predicted before the information came out that they would utterly neuter the ability of grenades to destroy cover, and introduce another grenade or similar mechanic that does that and little else - turns out I was almost right. While i haven't played it myself to test, supposedly the ability to destroy cover with grenades is incredibly weakened unless you take specific perks on the Grenadier class.

So in a way, it's even worse than what LW1 did, because at least then you could just give any soldier the HE Grenade (I think that was what the cover-destroying one was called?), now the only ones who can reliably destroy cover with grenades are a single class, out of nine.

I'm sure the mod will nonetheless appeal to a lot of people, but there's just too much I dislike about it to count myself among them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the infiltration mechanic. That plus managing the Havens seems to be the new Air Game, especially with the Faceless infiltrators you have to deal with.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The AWC is not a random chance. Every Soldier has their perk and rank already assigned when the AWC is built. However, if they are already past that rank, say you get a guy up to colonel, then build the AWC, and the soldier's AWC perk is set at the Sergeant rank, then no perk for him.

That kind of thing is the only scenario where a soldier will not receive an AWC perk. The "True Retroactive AWC" allows soldiers to pick up their perk even if they've passed the rank it gets attached to.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On the note of Reaper, in an abandoned campaign, running Grimy's Loot Mod, I once found a sword that singlehandedly made Reaper *AMAZING* out of a lootbox. It was a legendary lootbox... and the sword had an ability that caused Reaper to *GAIN* two damage on each successive attack rather than lose two.

I'm incredibly disappointed that I never got to use it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...See, I have a few characters in my character pool I'd love to be able to make that huge for the simple sake of being accurate to the characters they're based on. Does such hugeness come with any armor options that doesn't leave so much flesh exposed? >_>

Tychus Findlay and James Vega don't seem like themselves without their mountains of muscle.

EDIT: ...or, after a brief glance around out of curiosity... a download method should I decide to get it that doesn't require his personal attention and approval? It's likely to be a huge mod and thus not quite worth it, but it could potentially be interesting.

EDIT 2: In hindsight, I find myself doubting there are any such options for "buff, but still fully armored" in such a mod, nor are there likely to be any plans for such. And like that it's lost me.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Grizzwold posted:

One thing I like about the commander's avatar is that it has the colonel rank icon from Enemy Unknown. Dunno if that ever got pointed out.

A quote I saw, is that the Skull & Wreath icon goes to the highest rank attainable - and no one outranks the Commander.

But yes, was a fun LP Jade! Many giggles were had - I'm going to go ahead and say one of my favorite moments was Guava's ragequit when the Archon King got executed.

• Locked thread