Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

I'm already in the pool from Jade's streaming habits.

He has done horrible things to my armor colors.

when doesn't Jade do horrible things to _________________

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Colander Crotch posted:

You son of a bitch. You knew you would draw me out with this game. drat YOU JADE STAR! DAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNN YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU!

hey buddy

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If you take the shot he's just going to flex his arm muscles, thus providing high cover for the rest of his torso

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

One squadsight sharp makes such a joke of that mission. It's both sad and hilariously awesome. Squadsight is so good.

It got me thinking though ... gunslinger is so ridiculously good in every other situation. I'm imagining a full team of them with explosives and...yeah. Yeah.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Jade Star is whatever you want him to be, so long as you want him to be someone who suffers more computer problems than anyone else on this earth.

I hear datacenters in his area pay him money not to come into the building, just in case.

Cruise Ship Lobster, by the way. How could I vote anything else?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 31, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I find it a really frustrating mechanic. Generally it only happens in the first quarter of a playthrough so I just junk the person rather than trying to get them out of shaken.

Or just build a single mindshield, reuse when needed, and that's that. It's great compared to EU's handling of shaken soldiers!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cythereal posted:

X-COM 2 just doesn't feel interesting to me.

I think you should admit to yourself that you like XCOM 2 more than you say considering you are the 4th most prolific poster in the thread (and just tied up for 3rd with your last post!)

:v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Canuck-Errant posted:

Look, we already did that in a previous Jade Star LP, and see where it got us.

I'm glad you posted this.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

AnoHito posted:

As a person who runs non-combat scout ranger babymen, I say that Conceal is still not very useful. Phantom is really the only skill you need for stealth

yeah, conceal sounds like it could be cool, but it's cool in the way pubbies who camp corners with a sniper rifle in Call of Duty think they're cool. By which I mean not at all.

It could sound tempting, right? Get Phantom, Conceal, and Shadowstrike to get AWESOME STEALTH CRITS ...but you give up super useful skills for something that might occasionally come in handy on a hard target you still need a grenadier to shred for you, at which point the grenade damage and cover destruction will probably tip the scales so you don't need either of Shadowstrike's bonuses, so the whole combo falls apart because you don't need Conceal to set up for it and ... yeah.

meanwhile Blademaster swords are great finishing moves, and then once you unlock run and gun it makes flanking shotgun critical hits basically the ranger's base attack. Like just parse that for a minute: Shotgun crits as a reliable form of damage.

in short: Jade wasted a bunch of words saying how to pick what is probably the easiest skill choice in the game.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 9, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Your fault for putting a Repeater on the gun then :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

akulanization posted:

I don't think the conceal vs run and gun choice is as cut and dried as it's been made to sound though.

R&G rangers can typically eliminate an enemy with little risk, and in my experience you can always damage or kill most of a pod, but sometimes there's one sticky enemy left who you'd otherwise have to roll the dice on. I don't think it's a mark against R&G that it's only good when you hit LT and Ridiculously Good once you rank up some more, whereas Conceal ... never really gets better.

I guess part of it is that I have never felt the urge to use a conceal ranger to scout ahead. I enjoy setting up a good overwatch elimination of the first pod, but after that it's a good honest they know we're here and I know they're there fight, at which point R&G stays useful and conceal does not, and I don't usually lose the fights :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 10, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

CrazySalamander posted:

What are you talking about that would be amazing.

if I can have Tracer, Garrus, Bill Murray, a Firebat, SHODAN, and Liberty Prime on my team then why not have six Shens at once?

also, where does XCOM2 store actual mod files because I want to poke around in one of mine, but it doesn't seem to be in the steamapps/common/xcom2 folder.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Scouting is for people with insufficient quantities of explosives

Doing the "complete a mission using soldiers of one class" achievement with six grenadiers was hilarious, let me tell you

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, with six grenadiers planting the X4 charge was a bit superfluous at the end, I'll say that much

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

yeah I have ill-will over Bulwark instead

I realize this is just the latest in a long line of how Jade and Guava play the game differently but I have to agree with Guava: I will always prefer the method of "if they are dead, they can't shoot me" which means mobile high cover is a convenience, not an essential. Being able to take extra murder actions and just stomp all over a pod? yes.

It's better as opposed to optimizing for making the shots they do take having the least effect.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 25, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Use even more explosives :v:

if my grenadiers ended the mission with grenades remaining, I did it wrong. I open with grenades. I close with grenades. Always Be Grenading.

Late-game enemies do tend to shift the balance a little, but what I did was just modify my squad composition to have more stupidly high damage classes. It's not spoiling anything to say a ranger with near-guaranteed crits can do monstrously awesome damage, and grenadiers just so happen to be able to clear cover and guarantee those crits. Combine with some colonel abilities, and, well. There are also some nice, basically guaranteed one-turn (or more) disable moves from multiple classes you can throw down which really splits one pod into two: kill half of it, disable the other half, end turn, do it again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Canuck-Errant posted:

Shoulda gone to a Bulk Barn, grabbed some of the guava-flavoured Jarritos soda, opened them together in the parking lot, and then said something about sharing a guava moment

and then freeze-framed for an invisible camera

yeah, I mean, you say this like a joke but you also know this is 100% right up GuavaMoment's alley and if he'd thought of it, they would've done it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Jade Star posted:

Winner: Implacable. But not by a landslide, I wouldn't balk at Bladestorm.

Winner: A tie. Maybe a little more toward Heavy Ordnance though. At least always have one Heavy Ordnance grenadier.

Winner: Threat Assessment.

I see your vacation did good things, Jade, it meant you picked the right skills. Finally, I'm sure Guava would say.

I do have to say Bladestorm is something I only take on my sword ranger (of course, obviously) and I only ever have one of those. However, Bladestorm going off on the enemy turn was how I won the final mission by accident the first time I played so it holds a special place in my heart.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hoboskins posted:

Playing through I can see what Guava means when he gets crazy at how conservatively Jade uses his consumables. Just throw grenades and overdrive 24/7.

I want Guava to take over and play a mission but have Jade pretend it was him all along, with the commentary to match

just Guava saying things like "wow, congratulations Jade you actually used a grenade!" and "good work using Overdrive for once, Jade!" and "I see you specced out of Bulwark for this mission, great!" and jade has to pretend he actually did all those things

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I should edit that page to read "TI-85 owner" except that I have many better things to do than update an IGN wiki with a more factually accurate AND important statement.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You really want Jade to enable debug tools? Considering past history?

Yeah, me too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Jade Star posted:

I am never in favor of counting on things with one in three odds.

Yeah, you're in favor of one in twenty odds, instead :laugh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Well, I did it. Quite a bit off of the world record (by nearly half an hour!) but it was fun seeing how quickly you can blow through the game if you know what you're doing.

Congratulations on your accomplishment of posting in the wrong thread

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dinictus posted:

XCOM were the real villains all along.

This worked out pretty well for GuavaMoment with TFTD

though really the developers of TFTD were the real villains all along, if you ask me :mad:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Canuck-Errant posted:

Dammit, Kwyndig! Now people are going to mouse over all the smilies in my previous posts just to see if I put links under them!

How many years has it been since you started doing that? :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

"Long War 2: it's only better because we couldn't make it worse"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Jade actually asked me to guest in my best Guava impersonation, sorry guys

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Canuck-Errant posted:

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"And I'm Guavamoment."

"gently caress the Flames."

"if only you'd taken Overdrive"
"if only there was a skill to let you fire more times per turn"
"if only you could somehow kill that enemy this turn with a skill, something, hang on, I forget what it's called..."

and then something about repeaters

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

I'm pretty sure missing arm syndrome (MAS) is due to a cosmetic mod that makes the arms "invisible" so it can replace it with something else as part of other armor.

Yeah, I've had this happen with some mod armor before. Fix your game, Jade. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

betamax hipster posted:

The Syndicate reboot had a surprisingly fun co-op mode where you actually got to work for the amoral megacorps instead of defecting to a generic resistance movement in the world's most predictable story arc.

That co-op mode was so good, too. Coincidence or not???

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Olesh posted:

Jade is incredibly opposed to the idea and under no circumstances will purchase the game. At this point, I don't even think he'd play it if someone purchased it for him when it comes out.

is he so opposed he delegated this post to someone else? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the point is, jade, you and I both know you'll end up playing MarioCOM and that's okay

• Locked thread