Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Looking forward to the LP! I nitpick the little bugs but I really do love both XCOM games. Maybe I missed it in the video but is it ok if I make a soldier, export it and email that file for you to import? I'd hate for you to waste time tweaking 50 variables if you don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I used laid back because that's the only way my dude would hold his gun away from his chest so I could properly assess his outfit. Also I think it's hard luck soldiers that say "I hope you know what you're doing" constantly when I move them? Of course I know what I'm doing. Don't ever question the Commander, jerk. Whoops look out for that muton pod I activated on the last move of my turn!

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

#Teamgunslinger all the way. Either tree is a good option for sharpshooters but the shenanigans you can get up to with a gunslinger is super fun. I think I only played the tutorials once so it was nice to see the story bits again.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Nothing makes me want to throw my computer out the window quite like the dodge mechanic. There's already enough RNG! I don't need to worry about doing half damage when I actually hit something! Anyway, not to spoil anything but the Avatar Project is just a 4D remake of the James Cameron's Avatar. The Spokesman wants us to destroy it because he heard that the aliens are replacing the original cast with vipers.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Jade Star posted:

Grenadier - Demolition vs Suppression

Demolition - Fire at the enemy's cover to destroy it. Deals no damage to the target.
Suppression - Pin the enemy down with fire, reducing their aim by 50 and granting a free reaction shot if they move.

These two skills are oddly similair in that they address the same problem in different ways. Typically Suppression is used when you can't kill something on your turn and you want to limit its ability to do harm to you on it's next turn. Demolition would be used to blow away the cover of something whom you may not otherwise be able to kill that turn. Both of these skills approach the situation of having an enemy in high cover than I can not deal with in one turn. Suppression buys me time for next turn, while Demolition may open up the target to being exposed and quickly murdered while out of cover. It's worth noting that Demolition may have a chance to fail, as it brings up shot percentages to hit on screen when selected. I have not seen it fail while Guava wrote the skill off as broken and non-functional when he first experimented with the skill.
This is a choice I can not call for you, I'd honestly suggest taking each skill on a different soldier and trying them out for yourself and seeing which of the two options fits your play style. I feel I may give a slight edge to Demolition because blowing away cover is almost always a useful thing to do, while Suppression may be needed less often as a sort of panic button when you are unable to prevent enemy retaliation next turn.

Winner... It's a draw.

I've definitely had Demolition miss or fail in the past. I haven't used it in a while because of that so maybe it was changed with a recent patch. If not, I'm sure there's a mod for it. Demolition would win out for me if it wasn't for that. Early-game grenadiers are about knocking down cover, so Demo is one more tool in their box. Suppression is nice but it's still giving the enemy a chance to shoot which is always a bad idea.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

seaborgium posted:

Guava was wondering if the hack to disorient enemies does every enemy on the map, and I just played a mission today where I got that hack. An enemy we haven't seen yet, and that I hadn't run into on the map yet came running in and it was disoriented. So apparently it gets every enemy on the map, even if you haven't encountered them yet.

Along with that, I'm pretty sure that when you disorient all enemies like that it will give you the notifications on the side of the screen about status effects. It's handy because even though you don't know where they are it will list out the enemies that are left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

While I feel Jade's pain on wasting ammo I also feel that coming back from a mission with unspent explosives is a loss. The whole thing with the ADVENT facility with no door on that side? Blow out a wall. Got the VIP and need to make a break for the extraction? Blow out the other wall. Leave no buildings standing.

• Locked thread