Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Eat Bum Zen posted:

who do you have coffee with motherf***er?

Top ten roasters, top ten baristas, top ten coffee farmers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This thread should have some cool videos and I was just rewatching this which is one of my alltime faves, courtesy (I think) of Lobstermobster

https://vid.me/cBKc

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This thread should have some cool videos and I was just rewatching this which is one of my alltime faves, courtesy (I think) of Lobstermobster

this is literally the only time i've seen condit gassed. it only took like 500 strikes thrown and a severe beating

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i will never understand how condit survived that round

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Because he beat the poo poo out of Lawler too.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That vid is also a really good example of something I mentioned just recently, which is that because he has the image of a bloodthirsty brawler, Lawler's defense is really underrated. Here he's fighting Condit, who's an incredibly accurate striker who throws an enormous volume of strikes, and check out all the slow-mo sequences - watch how many times he's landing on Condit and just barely getting missed, or just grazed, because he's taking his head just slightly off-line or rolling the shoulder or making just a slight fadeway. Even when he goes into berserk mode, Lawler is doing some very easy-to-miss technical stuff.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It was really obvious during the fight how many of condits shots missed or were picked off with shoulders/elbows/hips etc. and it was completely baffling that people thought they were landing

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Speaking of Condit, if anyone here listens to the Chapo Trap House Podcast, I would reccomend listening to episode 20 where they interview Jordan Breen from Sherdog and give a sort of Primer on the appeal to MMA and it's crazy characters. Their description of Condit is pretty funny as they paint him as this Bourgeoisie dude from a privileged background who managed to channel all his suburban, Upper class rage into fighting. It's a pretty good listen.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
That's actually a pretty good description tbh.

For those who don't know Condit's dad used to be the chief of staff for the Governor of New Mexico, so he's definitely not from the hood.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Also he had at one time been seen as a 'milquetoast' individual so it's even more impressive how great of a fighter he eventually became despite that

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
I bet Carlos Condit listened to a lot of RATM growing up.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Well he's walked out to it in the past

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Nifft posted:

I bet Carlos Condit listened to a lot of RATM growing up.

Dangersim posted:

If I remember correctly, he walked out to a Johnny Cash song the night his ACL tore in his fight against Tyron Woodley. RATM is a stable to suburban white boys, like using the n-word with your white friends.

Speaking of walkouts, has Frankie Edgar ever used another song aside from "Kick in the Door"?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Forceholy posted:

Speaking of walkouts, has Frankie Edgar ever used another song aside from "Kick in the Door"?

Before Conor changed his music from hypnotize to that horrible El Chapo song I was wondering who between him and Frankie was going to not come out to biggie in the match that should have happened.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Probably both and it would have ruled, you can never have too much biggie

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dangersim posted:

Could just mean the guy who inherited his phone number likes 'em.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dangersim posted:

Yeah.

It's a bummer Conor went with that wierd El Chapo track for 196, because Biggie vs Tupac would have been incredibly fitting for that event.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 29, 2016

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah.

It's a bummer Conor went with that wierd El Chapo track for 196, because Biggie vs Tupac would have been incredibly fitting for that event.

Conor's El Chapo phase may have been the height of his craziness.

I'm not sure anyone told him El Chapo headed an organization that is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people and not merely just a very rich dude.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Killing insane amounts of people is gangster as gently caress.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Killing insane amounts of people is gangster as gently caress.

Probably close to Conor's literal thought process when deciding to dress up as and compare himself to one of the worst people on Earth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm sure Conor knows the head of a drug cartel is not a nice guy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah.

We already got that with Frankie vs Faber, which was even more fitting because it was East Coast vs West Coast

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Dangersim posted:

One of the most delightful things in MMA was when Overeem fought Willie Dee's lover and they both entered to Black Eyed Peas, and Thompson was dancing in the cage during Overeem's walkout.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

fatherdog posted:

We already got that with Frankie vs Faber, which was even more fitting because it was East Coast vs West Coast

Oh, you're right. For some reason, I always forget that fight happened.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Oh, you're right. For some reason, I always forget that fight happened.

It wasn't very memorable.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Reminder that Roy Nelson walks out to "I'm fat" by Weird Al.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
fatherdog quote about nelson thinking he's a smart guy playing a dumb guy when he's actually dumb goes here

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

maffew buildings posted:

fatherdog quote about nelson thinking he's a smart guy playing a dumb guy when he's actually dumb goes here

Speaking of Roy Nelson- I used to really like watching TUF (there's something about the possibility of a lovely person getting punched in the face on every episode that makes it must see for me) but I haven't really had a chance to watch anything after the Roy Nelson/Kimbo Slice season (9? 10?). Who are the most notable fighters from recent seasons? The best matches? What drunk rear end drama and ridiculous producer-created plot twists did I miss? Are the international seasons any good? Thanks!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Speaking of Roy Nelson- I used to really like watching TUF (there's something about the possibility of a lovely person getting punched in the face on every episode that makes it must see for me) but I haven't really had a chance to watch anything after the Roy Nelson/Kimbo Slice season (9? 10?). Who are the most notable fighters from recent seasons? The best matches? What drunk rear end drama and ridiculous producer-created plot twists did I miss? Are the international seasons any good? Thanks!

season 12 is koscheck / gsp and is basically a must watch.

season 14 is top shelf tuf with bisping / miller as coaches. tj dillashaw, john dodson, diego brandao, dennis bermudez, there's some top flight talent having rad as gently caress fights just about every episode and i can't recommend it more highly.

season 15 is tuf live and is a fresh take on the format with cruz / faber as the coaches that i really enjoyed. it also has one of the most satisfying narratives in the show's history.

i stopped watching after 15.

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Are the international seasons any good? Thanks!

didn't watch but i'm going to say no with authority.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

I'm pretty sure that's originally a manyak quote

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lazy like a Fox posted:

The last couple of seasons have had basically zero actual in-house drama and sort of ok to not great fights. The season before last gave us Artem Lobov wearing Ryan Hall as a backpack for two rounds and it loving sucked out loud. This season gave us cool strawweight women having decent to good fights and a good finale, and light trashweightheavyweight fighters having a really wild variance in the quality of their fights followed by one of the worst matches of the year as the finale.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Season 11 isn't a good season but you need to watch the coaches challenges between Chuck and Tito.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Jones/Sonnen season of TUF is the best one in the show's history, so anyone who hasn't watched it yet should probably check it out.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It's the only one I've watched in its entirety live, and I really enjoyed it.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Do the gyms get payed a percentage if the fighter they're training wins? I'm not sure how that works.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

tumor looking batty posted:

Do the gyms get payed a percentage if the fighter they're training wins? I'm not sure how that works.

This varies wildly by gym and camp but traditionally yes, they get a percentage cut of the purse. AKA recently made a big deal about only taking a lower set percentage of your show pay than the average gym to show how much they care about the people they're driving to CTE with their training practices, and Team Takedown was a notable exception where their process included room and board for their fighters so all they had to do was worry about training, in exchange for a super sharp percentage of the purse and I think all sponsorship fees (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) That's part of the reason Johny Hendricks almost immediately got out of his contract and went somewhere else when he was in the title picture and actually stood to make real money.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Dressing well and comparing it to the dress of El Chapo sure is despicable. ..

http://imgur.com/a/EGIv0

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/the-crown-prince-of-bahrain-will-be-in-frankie-edgars-corner-tonight

https://www.hrw.org/middle-east/n-africa/bahrain

Imgur doesn't work anymore? What are we using then?

Until I sort this envision in your IMAGINATION Frankie Edgar staring down an opponent white the American and Bahrain flag hang behind him on the cage.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Captain Log posted:

http://imgur.com/a/EGIv0

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/the-crown-prince-of-bahrain-will-be-in-frankie-edgars-corner-tonight

https://www.hrw.org/middle-east/n-africa/bahrain

Imgur doesn't work anymore? What are we using then?

Until I sort this envision in your IMAGINATION Frankie Edgar staring down an opponent white the American and Bahrain flag hang behind him on the cage.

Was the Heat Miser really any worse than the Cold Miser? I mean it's all relative.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Captain Log posted:

You gotta use img tags my dude.

And yeah, Frankie is pretty bad/stupid for going all in on the Bahrain stuff, I agree with you.

That doesn't mean that Conor's El Chapo stuff was any less ignorant.

https://twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/status/689998711502589952

I know actually caring about things is a cardinal sin among goons, but I'm Mexican American and I just found the whole thing really ignorant and distasteful. It's not like he dressed up as Scarface or some fictional character. He dressed up as a guy whose organization is responsible for the deaths of literally thousands of innocent people and has destroyed lives and destabilized areas of Mexico to an extreme degree.

If there were a living, Irish equivalent to El Chapo I don't think you would have seen Conor up there proudly declaring himself the Irish mass murdering gangster drug lord of the UFC.

Anyway, sorry for the derail guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Frankie Edgar's flag of Bahrain has a broken point.

• Locked thread