Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

What was with Mark Hunt's plan of slowly walking towards Brock and then not punching him? I mean I get he has to be wary of a takedown and keeping his distance allows Mark to block or avoid some takedown attempts, but that doesn't really seem to matter if he has no offence and Brock was still managing to take him down and then pound on him a good percent of the time. Brock was almost never committing to anything more than little jabs or an occasional leg kick so that doesn't seem to leave an opportunity for effective counter punching. Hunt just seemed to be staying outside of punching range but within Brock's takedown range which seems to be to be a bad plan. Maybe punching would have been a better plan?

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

fatherdog posted:

Only Mark Hunt and/or his coaches really know what his plan was, but it looked to me like the idea was to slowly move forward without throwing strikes with the idea that either Brock would get backed into the cage where Hunt could unload, or he'd have to shoot while Mark had both hands ready to clip him with something. Which is more or less what Brock did, but it turns out that he's still impossibly fast for a guy his size so Mark didn't manage to hit him with anything cleanly enough off the shots.

What shots thought? From what I can see although Brock sometimes managed to counter a swing by going under it with the takedown (basically the reverse of what we're assuming Hunt was trying), when this didn't happen and Brock tried to take when Mark had his hands ready Mark didn't even try to counter punch and dropped them to defend against the takedown. He "didn't manage to hit him with anything cleanly enough off the shots" because there were no shots in terms of counter punches to takedowns.

Also if he wanted to back Brock into the cage, wouldn't he have needed more movement and aggression? That slow forward pace might walk Brock down a bit and wear him down as he circles around and covers more distance, but it obviously didn't work in terms of pressing Brock against the cage and as long as Brock was able to walk slightly faster in a circular direction I can't see how it was meant to. Hunt's meant to be a geek, surely he's aware of circle strafing.

Edited after rechecking a couple of bits.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 12, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Also interesting is UFC 4 where one guy just whales at his opponent with half a dozen dick shots in a row because low blows weren't against the rules at that point.

• Locked thread