Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Kuno posted:

I'm not really new per se, been watching for about a year I just don't post because I have nothing of value to add.

Anyway my question is why doesn't the UFC have a nice regular schedule? Why can you go two to three weeks with no cards and then have 4 in the space of a week? Why not have a card once a week, PPV once a month. They could probably afford to knock a fight off the prelims and one off the main card because does every event really need to be 5 hours long?

I think the end goal is for there to be (at least) one every weekend, with some cards being more regionally focused. For example, they didn't hold a card on 4th of July weekend this year (and most years) because lots of people are traveling or at parties or whatever, but that doesn't mean they couldn't hold one in India or China or something with mostly non-American fighters and broadcast it on Fight Pass for the hardcores who watch everything. As for right now though, some days or weekends just aren't conducive for good viewership in the markets that they're already playing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It also helps if they can't see your hands at all though

there are some dragon ball z citations that im sure someone can find for this too

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

who are some fighters whose falls from grace were extremely satisfying and cool to watch?

I think you could watch Tito vs:
Chuck 1 and 2
Machida
Rashad 2
Little Nog

Fedor vs:
Werdum
Bigfoot
Hendo

and be very satisfied

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

I always assumed JMMA did rings as a nod to their pro wrestling roots more than anything

However, it should be noted that I'm pretty dang dumb

Yeah I think it's a mix of that and Japanese Tradition since Pride did it. A long time ago, there was a lot of debate about which was better but I think it's pretty clear to everyone by now that the cage has a lot more utility than the ring for MMA.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

The UFC probably should've negotiated a little harder for more money, and it would've been smarter to sign a shorter deal based on how fast the sport is growing, but it's hard to be taken seriously as a league when some of your fighters are wearing clothes with nazi sponsorships on them so it was necessary. Reebok exacerbated the problem a little by putting their most incompetent people on the project. It's hard to imagine that their next apparel deal won't be significantly larger than the current one and then hopefully people will shut the gently caress up about the Reebok deal and dismiss it as growing pains.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

I agree with this on principle, but the UFC was already accomplishing this fairly effectively by instituting case-by-case bans on certain sponsors and also leveling a sort of "sponsorship tax," so that only brands willing to pay something like a $50k fee to Zuffa on top of what they were going to pay out to fighters could be sponsors. It wasn't completely perfect but the reason we didn't see CondomDepot.com or the Nevada Gun Store all over the UFC for the last few years before Reebok wasn't because those brands were disinterested in continuing their sponsorship.

People hated the sponsorship tax idea though too because it was "taking money out of the pockets of fighters and putting it into the pocket of the UFC" or even dumber ideas. And then you have to deal with due diligence of "is this a reputable organization? does it promote bad things"? And then you have to worry about rights issues, and if something slips through, it's on there for every replay unless you edit it out digitally like they did with some past ones, and it just creates problems on top of problems and more headache and overhead. It just makes more sense if the UFC could negotiate a large sponsorship with legitimate companies to secure apparel deals (like most major sports organizations) and distribute it down to the fighters.

The TV rights are expected to be 4x the size of the previous Fox deal, which ends this year I think. I don't know if the next apparel deal will increase proportionally, but since the Reebok deal ends in like 2020 (I think?), it's hard not to see it going WAY up from where it is right now. Like if every fighter makes at least 15/15 + 10k, is that going to be good enough for everyone to stop complaining? That's 75k a year if you lose all three fights, which I don't think is too bad, and I think it's very safe to say that we'll be there in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

New people should be required to take a video of themselves watching Lawler/Manhoef

• Locked thread