Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Finally got a chance to read the OP. Excellent posts Bluedeanie. I'm a casual MMA fan that got hooked by catching UFC 100 and then devouring all of GSP's fights. I pop in and out of the threads depending on if a cool fighter I like is fighting. I learn a lot from PSP effortposts and occasionally your in-jokes leads me to discovering cool fighters (Magny) so thanks for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hey I follow casually the UFC and lurk the monthly threads. I was wondering if someone can post a breakdown of the various gyms and training camps? Off the top of my casual head:

AKA - everyone gets hurt all the time? (cainlegextension.mpeg) Notable fighters: DC, Cain, ????
Tristar - GSP and Firas camp. Rory trains here. That Scottish chick that fought Val Letourneau had a camp there. I'm guessing all the Canadian up and comers like Oliver Aubin Mercier and Elias Theodoru. Arguably one of the best camps alongside Jackson-Wink?
Jackson-Wink - AZ based. Jon Jones, Holly Holm, a bunch of other ones. They fight smart but boring?
Duane Ludwig in Denver - TJ and uh????
Nova Uniao - Aldo, Gadelha, Barao. Have a notorious rep for full out sparring in the chute boxe vein of thinking?
Edmond gym in AZ - a bad coach and a bad camp?
TAM - uhhh chinbutt and shirtless dudes? PvZ?

Am I forgetting any major ones? Is there like a consensus "tier list" of better vs not as good gyms? I'm also curious if there are fighters who have switched camps and have showed significant improvement in their new camps? Or the opposite? Off the top off the head, I think I remember Rashad leaving Jackson-Wink when he fought Jones and he hasn't been the same since?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oh right Rafael Cordeiro. He's supposed to be a brilliant striking coach right?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

RDA and...?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

tumor looking batty posted:

What are the good GSP fights? I'm reading about him and he seems cool

Watching his entire MMA career in chronological order blew my mind and is how I got hooked on the UFC. It's amazing to see him go from a showy fighter in some random Canadian league to him exerting his will on the division during the later stages of his career.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I couldn't watch boxing for the longest time (well I still don't really because I like MMA better) because I thought everyone was pillow fisted because I was too trained to only recognize AISH AISH AISH from kung fu movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

i've taken a liking to fights with two heavyweights who gas out super fast and spend the rest of their time simulating a sloppy, drunken thanksgiving brawl. what are the best examples of this i can watch?

I love Struve v Buentello for this, especially for the hilarious mismatch in physiques. It's been a while since I've seen it so there might not be as much gassing to your liking.

• Locked thread