Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hunt is extremely picky with his punches most of the time, but he spent a non-trivial portion of round 1 with 290 lbs of muscle on top of him. Hunt was exhausted and I would be surprised if that slam at the end of round 1 either broke or dislocated one of his ribs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neither Joanna nor Claudia were on TUF because they couldn't make weight for the entire show as well, iirc.

She has just destroyed her competition since the title fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Seriously go watch Joanna just destroy Esparza

https://www.ufc.tv/video/joanna-jedrzejczyk-vs-carla-esparza-ufc-185-1

Esparza did not fight again for over a year after that beatdown.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm sure Conor knows the head of a drug cartel is not a nice guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

Each of gsp's losses lead to an immediate and dramatic improvement.

The asswhooping Bigg Rigg laid on him put him out of the game forever so I can't really call that an improvement.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fozzy The Bear posted:

GSP improved so much, he has gained the ability to drain the life force from Hendricks. As proven by Hendricks last 3 fights.

Or it could just be USADA....

He took 70% of Hendricks' lifeforce. His last few fights have been the 30%

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fatherdog please probate willie if he's lying and I'll eat a 6 hour if he's telling the truth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

willie_dee posted:

I will not reveal my sources. If I were to say what I told fatherdog other people (Internet detectives) would figure it out and it would whittle it down to to few a people which makes me uncomfortable.

I love your JT gimmick, but I wish you'd just loving drop this one. It doesn't matter at all what a guy's sexual preference is. It's none of ours or anyone else's business. Second, you come across as a homophobic rear end in a top hat constantly dropping jabs at someone because they might like a dick. It's tired and it isn't funny. Please stop with this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

getting called a homo is what got georges to where he is now

I'm fine with someone making a funny joke. The zoom out joke was good.

What isn't funny is every single time GSP gets brought up, willie has to come in and hurl some baseless insinuation and then act like he has some journalistic duty to maintain his source's anonymity. Fatherdog even told him to knock the poo poo off once. It's never been funny or entertaining and is just done to stir up poo poo. It contributes nothing whatsoever to conversation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

willie's gsp = gay thing has gone on for so long now it's like the sideshow bob rake scene. also unless i'm missing something, willie never attaches any positive or negative connotations to gsp being gay, so it seems like a really weird thing to get angry about.

david carmichael posted:

If there were no negative connotations to it then it wouldn't be noteworthy whatsoever to him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

i was at a pool party in downtown la and got talking to this guy who after about 2000 mimosas told me in confidence that he'd hosed keanu reeves. i didn't find that interesting because i hate gays, but because i thought keanu was straight.

But then you'd also say "some guy at a pool party in downtown LA told me Keanu was gay" and not spend the next 5 years every time Keanu was brought up acting like you're some super sleuth with speed dial to all his previous lovers and constantly jab at another person's sexual preference.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

ok but maybe consider that willie's doing it because it's his schtick and not because he can't find an easier way to let everyone know he hates gays than a 5 year long running joke

That's the point - it's just schtick. There's no substance. And he was told to drop the act once already. Gimmick posting has been around as long as message boards have been around, but even still typically the only individual gimmicks that stick around are good ones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If he was actually causing anyone to get angry that would be a different story. Trolling is one thing and is a beauty to behold when done right. We typically have a pretty gimmick free experience around here outside of Mr. Dee. And even still, some of his gimmicks are endearing. This one is just tired and old and was never really all that interesting even from the get go.

If william was actually funny about it, that might be one thing. It's nothing other than just drive by shitposting at this point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

this is cool, and shows how crazy the belt turnover has been in the past two years

https://eroshare.com/tsfif4nh

link isn't working for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

afatwhiteloaf posted:

the reason behind every time you see dudes in MMA with their hands down getting punched is because of the threat of takedowns.

For some fighters that is just their style and they make up for it with head movement and other evasive techniques. Some people are just masters at moving away from, deflecting, and blocking strikes without having to keep their hands up high. Dom Cruz and Anderson Silva both immediately jump out as fighters that just simply can evade almost all of an opponents strikes.

Here's a great video that is just about showing off head movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

Striking coaches are still going to tell everyone to keep their hands up at all times. Some people are just good at dodging and don't keep their hands up regardless of takedown threat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It also helps if they can't see your hands at all though. Some fighters will recognize feints and milling hands better than punches that come from the hip and vice versa. This isn't some binary thing and some fighters do one of/some of these things better than others.

Basic fundamentals, though, are to keep your guard up. The only people who should be fighting with their guard down are good enough strikers to take the risk or motivated by takedown defense. I would never fault a fighter for keeping his hands on his hips against a guy like Maia.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The only time Dana White has given his own money to a fighter was when Machida beat Tito. They cut Tito after that fight (I think) and Dana cut a check for $50,000.

He said he gave Brian Ebersole a $75k bonus at the UFC 133 post fight presser for finishing Dennis Hallman early and getting his speedo out of the octagon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BlindSite posted:

You never forget either your first leg kick or the first time you check one on your first day of MT classes.

Even with loving pads on and going light you feel it. Shin on shin does not feel nice at all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Wanderlei vs Brian stann

Wanderlei/Bisping was really great with Wandy blitzing Bisping at the end of each round.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

Manhoef was the first dude to knock out Mark Hunt as well, if I remember right this was the year Manhoef got like crazy sick and almost died. I think David Carmichael wrote up a Manhoef fighter of the year thing in our best of the year retrospective that covered it all well

In Hunts autobiography he talks about that fight as the worst loss of his career

quote:

“When Jérôme dropped out and they replaced him with journeyman middleweight Melvin Manhoef, again on short notice, I knew I was assured victory. Manhoef stood only about five foot seven, and would weigh in a good 40 kilograms lighter than me. I’d be able to bully him on the ground, throw him around in Thai clinches and bludgeon my fists straight through his standing defence. There was no way he could possibly beat me. Perhaps DREAM knew that too. Perhaps they wanted to protect their asset.
The fight was on a giant 2008 New Year’s Eve card, with eighteen bouts and some of the biggest names from both DREAM and K-1 fighting. It felt good to be walking back into the Saitama Super Arena knowing that I was going to get my arm raised. Pride comes before a fall, though. That fight would be the worst loss of my career. I know I’ll never have another like it.
“He’s muscular, Melvin, but he still looked like a child in front of me when we were called to fight. I was anxious to get it all over and done with.
‘READY? FIGHT!’ the ref called.
I pivoted around the middle of the ring while Melvin danced, then I came at him with a long right and a left, and then … and then?
They were bright, those lights.
I have a fight soon. I need to open my eyes. I have a fight soon. I’m fighting. Who am I fighting? Who is this guy? What’s that noise? I have to fight soon. I have to get up. GET UP.
Man, those lights were so bright. I’d never been knocked out cold before. I’d been fighting my whole life and against giants of men, but I’d never been laid out like that. It was only when my eyes came into focus and I saw Melvin dancing around like a maniac that I realised what had happened.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf9U0quIrB8

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 23, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

E4C85D38 posted:

Is there anywhere that does radio/audio coverage of UFC events? I really don't want to miss 205, but I'll be driving the entire time.

You could always just find a stream and listen to the TV broadcast. I end up doing that a lot cause I work almost all saturday nights. It's not quite as good as something that's geared entirely for radio, but the play by play from the TV is usually good enough to keep track of the fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And honestly 2.0 of the fight kit that has custom design/color per fighter looks quite good and seems to be of good quality.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hadn't seen Manhoef/Lawler before. Hell of a fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eat This Glob posted:

You've been here forever. How the hell had you avoided that fight? I'm genuinely curious.

I watched it live and I was bummed for Melvin, tbh.

e: anyone have a link to that Strikeforce GDT or B-League thread from that era? I'm genuinely curious what the response was.

I didn't watch all the strikeforce cards back in the day. I've only ever really watched UFC stuff unless there was something in the B leagues that I just had to see.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You should quote mobn's advice instead.

Mage of Blackest Night posted:

Grabbing a guillotine from the sprawl is way harder than it looks. You have to move your hips and shoulders enough that you can end up giving a reversal pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bundt Cake posted:

yvel v don frye is probably the first fight id show someone

God drat yvel is the dirtiest motherfucker. Eye gouging, rope grabbing, shoving the ref, and I'm not even halfway through.

• Locked thread