Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

As someone who isn't a "newbie" in the sense that I haven't watched MMA before (I have), I definitely haven't kept up. I still remember renting the VHS tapes when there was "tiny guy VS giant fat Asian dude" where the latter got wrecked with his nose broken, or something (I think that was the first one). Names like Don Frye, Dan Severn, the Shamrock bros, Royce Gracie, and a few others stick out in my head. Because I didn't have premium cable or even, like, ACTUAL cable at the time, I was never current.

So, if it's not too much trouble, how'd we go from that outright shitfest of a start to what's now a relatively-more-matured but still run by bizarre idiots MMA scene? I kinda understand it, but with the treatment the OPs got, I feel like it coming from goons would end up as a hilarious read. Also, there's lots of offshoots, farm/"feeder" leagues, and the like - they get mentioned offhandedly in the OPs (see Bellator/Invicta). The OPs are VERY GOOD, but do miss out on historical context, or the wide expanse beyond the big scene.

Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

BlindSite, that was a good read. Thank you for that. My mind is fuzzy on all the things I remember, but it's all decades-old poo poo that no one remembers, like the glass-cannon Tank Abbott for example. But I'm glad they finally got their poo poo together.

Now, if only the fans in Southern California would stop doing the meth. Baby steps.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I'm still having issues not conflating "bjj" and the Klingon word for pain, "bij." Does this ever come up in these threads and if so, how often? (This is an honest question. I'm not trying to make my own joke with it)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The thing that made striking more "impactful", for me, was having been struck in the head by really anything and my body reflexively ragdolling. I have negative chin, I guess.

• Locked thread