Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I swear there was no reason for MeowMix to even be in this game, out of all the characters. Granted Faize didn't really need to be in it either except so they could make him the final boss.

I'm like 90% sure it was just because SO1 had a cat lady so SO4 needed one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

corn in the bible posted:

I'm like 90% sure it was just because SO1 had a cat lady so SO4 needed one too
I mean seriously, that entire Nazi Earth side-plot was just so they could add one more party member and then have Raimi/Edge do a double-take in an end-game cutscene when an identical looking scientist guy shows up. That's it.

Also like 90% of what happened on Roak was pointless, and I'm pretty sure that was 1/3 of the game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh and apparently if you get all the endings, no characters actually died. Faize somehow survives and shows up on Lemuris, and even Crowe washes up on a beach on Roak and marries BoobElf? The hell?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean seriously, that entire Nazi Earth side-plot was just so they could add one more party member and then have Raimi/Edge do a double-take in an end-game cutscene when an identical looking scientist guy shows up. That's it.

Also like 90% of what happened on Roak was pointless, and I'm pretty sure that was 1/3 of the game

Err, Nazi Earth is the big example of how high tech people interacting with low tech people can go horribly wrong and also the thing that makes Edge get introspective about the knock on effects his actions migt have. As thoroughly idiotic as both are, that part of the game is absolutely vital to both the game's overall narrative arc and Edge's arc as a character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wateyad posted:

Err, Nazi Earth is the big example of how high tech people interacting with low tech people can go horribly wrong and also the thing that makes Edge get introspective about the knock on effects his actions migt have. As thoroughly idiotic as both are, that part of the game is absolutely vital to both the game's overall narrative arc and Edge's arc as a character.
They already do that to an extent with the idea that the Grigori are forcing evolution though. It seems redundant.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

FlamingLiberal posted:

They already do that to an extent with the idea that the Grigori are forcing evolution though. It seems redundant.

The Grigori are weird alien monsters that do bad magic bullshit. Without Nazi Earth there's no parallel to tie that stuff back into the "point" the game is "actually" "trying" to "make" about what people who are not weird magic alien mosters from beyond the usual form of reality should / should not do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Anyway I'm playing Tales of Berseria and it's good

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yes, you're right in the sense that it forms the basis of moral that the game is supposed to have.

On the other hand, that entire part is done so poorly and the message is so ham-handed and terrible that if cutting it out means gutting the plot, maybe that's a good choice too.

So I guess I'm saying this is not a good game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Anyway I'm playing Tales of Berseria and it's good
Without hyperbole, a significantly better game than this one in literally every possible way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh and apparently if you get all the endings, no characters actually died. Faize somehow survives and shows up on Lemuris, and even Crowe washes up on a beach on Roak and marries BoobElf? The hell?

That's not BoobElf, that's fortune telling elf. The one that Cat idolized.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Somehow that's even worse. Like if it was Boobelf you could have some like... Originally Boobelf blamed Crowe for her husband's death and then eventually she ends up with him as her husband. It's like poetry, it rhymes. It being Fortune Teller Elf is just utterly disconnected with everything and anything.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 8, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoeless posted:

Somehow that's even worse. Like if it was Boobelf you could have some like... Originally Boobelf blamed Crowe for her husband's death and then eventually she ends up with him as her husband. It's like poetry, it rhymes. It being Fortune Teller Elf is just utterly disconnected with everything and anything.

Welcome to Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welcome to Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope.
My favorite thing has to be Faize being dead, until it turns out he has merged with some entity. Then he falls to his death, except once again no, he magics his way out of the black hole or whatever if you get the right ending. Stakes? In a video game? What are those?

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
"Best" part of the Crowe ending? The implication is that he is the ancestor of Ratix Farrence, a main character from Star Ocean 1, the game where the Fellpools are involved due to their genetics

Chuu posted:

So what is the postgame like, and how broken is Synthesis?

Item choice varies, but usually your select your party and do something like this:

- Load the "you beat the game" save, which dumps you in the final room where you fight a dragon that drops the Dark Ring
- Backtrack all the way to the Calnus
- Go to Roak and open the Cave of the Seven Stars
- Synth a multi-attack staff for Myuria so she can steal Magic Clays. Use the magic clays to duplicate a ton of materials (you'll end up using over 100 clays in total, thank goodness the game has item caps!)
- Synth some laser weapons, laser armors, Moonblades to synth into the laser weapons, a perfect magical resist Tri-Emplum set. Put +20% All stats on weapons/armor if you're lazy. Fit in anti-paralysis/silence somewhere
- Fight down to the floor that has Metal Scumbags, eat +30/50% EXP foods and farm them for about 80 levels. This is a lot quicker than you think since the fights will be giving millions of exp.
- Finish the dungeon, which gives you the Star Dipper. Finish the dungeon AGAIN with extra fights to unlock final floor which has Garbiel Celeste and a Water Ring.
- Defeat Gabriel Celeste, your typical unfair boss with 4.8 million HP.
- (Optional) Come back and fight them multiple times. After each defeat Gabriel gains more wings, increasing their attack and boosting their HP a few million. You'll need to do this if you want to craft every item in the game for the achievement.

- Repeat this again for the 2nd hidden on EN II, the Wandering Dungeon, with its boss Ethereal Queen, which you also need to beat multiple times to get the materials to make an item for the achievement. That achievement? "World's Biggest Welch Fan" :v:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Runic Edge posted:

- Backtrack all the way to the Calnus

There's a transfer symbol in the other room but yeah. I didn't do most of that but I barely scraped through Gabriel Celeste (1) so I never went back for more.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way, Pork Lift, how's the new job going, or are you still in the preliminary stages?

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Runic Edge posted:

"World's Biggest Welch Fan" :v:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the saddest thing about the bonus dungeons are that they don't play Mission into Deep Space, right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

You forgot an important detail, at least assuming you're playing the 360 version: The Calnus, and thus your synthesis menu, is stuck on the final dungeon planet, which is on Disc 3. The (first) bonus dungeon is on Roak, which is on Disc 2. Have fun with that one.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way, Pork Lift, how's the new job going, or are you still in the preliminary stages?

I've not actually started the new one yet and won't for a while! I'm moving from a senior sales role to another senior sales role in another company, so theres a couple of months of transition between the two to give me time to train a replacement and make sure I don't sell business secrets or whatever.

I'm sorry to crush the perception that I suffer through JRPGs on the internet as my sole income stream.

We'll definitely be up and running again soon though! wateyad might be starting to think I'm dead.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pork Lift posted:

I'm sorry to crush the perception that I suffer through JRPGs on the internet as my sole income stream.
Let's make it happen. patreon.com/porkeyad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yo thanks for playing this POS because I nearly bought a used xbox 360 to play it because I also hate myself

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I watched this glorious LP when I have weekend work days and didn't have much to keep me interested. I was very confused when the Youtube playlist reached the end and looped to the beginning.

Many thanks for keeping me awake during boring shifts porklifteyad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the Blue Dragon LP hasn't started yet, right? Have I missed it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not yet, Porklift is starting a new job so they're getting life stuff sorted out first.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
We're not formally on hiatus or anything, Pork Lift just hasn't been able to find time to record. We were actually supposed to start Blue Dragon last weekend but I stupidly, him being the one who actually owns a 360, left it to Pork Lift to acquire a 360 component cable and he left it until the last moment to deal with that and couldn't get one.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Yeah I'm a bad person.

I have one now though!

Hey wateyad wanna record on the 15th? I even checked that the game works and did 360 updates and everything.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Pork Lift posted:

Hey wateyad wanna record on the 15th? I even checked that the game works and did 360 updates and everything.

Yes, let's do that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think magic just happened... :allears:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

That actually ties into the original Star Ocean. Crowe is SO1's main character's ancestor.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

cdyoung posted:

That actually ties into the original Star Ocean. Crowe is SO1's main character's ancestor.

Please say you're lying

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Shugojin posted:

Please say you're lying

What does your heart tell you. :downs:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Please say you're lying

I am not, Elena Farrance, the fortune teller is Roddick Farrance's ancestor. And she marries Crowe after he managed to survive an intersteller explosion from his ship blowing up after it crashed into a gigantic space dragon.How he made it to Roak from wherever Nox Obscurius was is a question for the perfect works. (Mind you only get this scene if you put a bouquet of flowers at the ruins of his ship on Nox.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love star ocean and I like star ocean 4 despite all its flaws, but I adjusts have to take a long break on my play throughs because of this. Is the largerest section of the game and it's only propose is "hey it's star ocean 1"

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
So on Saturday we recorded almost six hours of Blue Dragon and it would be within my power to have a thread up today but I feel kind of apprehensive about doing that.

We don't hate the game and neither of us feels like we'll have any problem following it through to the end but it hasn't really given us anything to latch onto or get invested in. We both have this nagging feeling in the back of our minds that we aren't making particularly entertaining content.

I think Pork Lift wants to at least give it one more day's recording and see what happens but I kind of feel like, given that we don't necessarily get to record that often, we'd be better off doing something we know will give us more to work with rather than carrying on out of a combination of obligation and indifference and just kind of hoping it works out.

I don't know, maybe we're overthinking this and people will enjoy it just fine. If we had out own website and mainly posted stuff there then I'd just start posting the videos and see how people wind up liking them but if there's going to be a thread, there needs to be a thread and that feels like committing to following through.

Oh and because I know someone is worrying about this, everything we recorded will definitely wind up on our YouTube channel, it's just the how and when that I'm umming and ahhing about.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Would be nice to see your impressions of Blue Dragon since I never tried it, but if the game isn't engaging, I'd be just as happy seeing something you like or hate more.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know I didn't care much for BD after six hours. It takes way too long to get your entire team and for the plot to really get moving.

It's up to you guys of course but I would encourage you to keep playing and I'm sure whatever you are saying is quite amusing given that BD really does lend itself to being made fun of, even more than SO4 in my opinion.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I just read the Blue Dragon plot on Wikipedia, and I have full confidence you could make a wonderful LP out of it. That said, I'd you both honestly think you'd enjoy LPing a different game, there's nothing wrong with following that instinct.

Perhaps there's other options like adding a third commentator for Blue Dragon?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You guys should play ff15 instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If BD is too dull and you'd be up for doing a GOOD game instead of another Star Ocean that FF12 remaster just dropped!

• Locked thread