Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Beef who are you hoping will survive in Danganronpa 3

Not the dude with the fro because his voice is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

clearly the old guy is behind everything because i don't think he was in the room anymore after the monokumaing

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seiko and Gozu are cool

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Animator Boy got his own intro scene and New Togami tried to give him poo poo about why he was late, but my faith in him remains

Haifisch posted:

It doesn't help that their name/Ultimate ability was on screen for about 2 seconds per person. Good for episode flow, bad for remembering who anybody is.
There was also a point where they introduced three people at once and the subs went from left to right about who was who and not in the order of who spoke and that really messed me up for a bit

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

voltcatfish posted:

clearly the old guy is behind everything because i don't think he was in the room anymore after the monokumaing

nah he's there

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Moltrey posted:

Animator Boy got his own intro scene and New Togami tried to give him poo poo about why he was late, but my faith in him remains

There was also a point where they introduced three people at once and the subs went from left to right about who was who and not in the order of who spoke and that really messed me up for a bit

i thought the punchman was the therapist at first, yeah

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd really like to know Mahiru's contribution to team despair

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I bet it's propaganda. You can see her taking pictures of Sonia while she speaks to people in the intro.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If Tonio Trussardi and Evil Hanamura got into a food fight who would win

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Depends on the conditions of the match; if Tonio is trying to heal as many people as possible via his cooking and vice versa for Hanamura, he might be outmatched by Hanamura's ability to mass-produce

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
100% Tonio. You might say Tonio is cheating because he has a Stand, but he got his Stand from being so good at cooking.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

But if Tonio can make people cry tears of joy at how amazing water tastes, he could probably rehab the whole Despair team single-handed.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Moltrey posted:

He's actually the most suspicious to me because he arrived late and the old guy talked like he wasn't suposed to be there.

And also because pre-release material says he was of the same class the DR2 kids were and we know what happened to then(also the Ultimate Imposter is pretending to be him in the Despair Side, or maybe it's actually the real one and he was fat before :raise: ).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

i hope the ghost of robot junko is the villain this time

Good news it was mentioned there was two AI junkos so we still got a spare one!!!

Butt Ghost posted:

Wasn't Chiaki just a program?

Kodaka indicated otherwise vaguely on twitter but :iiam:

Baal posted:

I'm gonna watch this and see if I like it but DR2 and Ultra Despair Girls was bad so i have low expectations

DR1 was good but not exceptional, DR2 was better. :colbert:

spinoff I never got around to finishing because it was lame so guess I agree there.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 13, 2016

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Rith posted:

This guy was a huge arsehole to Naegi and is therefore the worst character.

Incidentally, this guy made his debut in the gaiden manga Killer Killer. He was an arsehole there too.

He really, really hates Naegi.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's going to be really sad if all Komaeda ends up doing after becoming as crazy as he was is babysitting a bunch of evil babies

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Good news it was mentioned there was two AI junkos so we still got a spare one!!!

Kodaka indicated otherwise vaguely on twitter but :iiam:

DR1 was good but not exceptional, DR2 was better. :colbert:

spinoff I never got around to finishing because it was lame so guess I agree there.

There was a DR spinoff? I didn't pay attention to DR anime news because I dropped the first season a couple episodes in and never bothered to check back in.

As far as the games go, I thought DR1 was good and DR2 was both better and worse, when it comes to the story at least. It'll be interesting to see how things unfold with this being an anime original plot with the original writer of the games at the helm.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The spinoff was Ultra Despair Girls, which had no redeeming qualities except Toko character development. The gameplay was a mediocre shooter, none of the characters were funny or sympathetic except Toko, Komaru(Naegi's sister), & that one blue haired kid, the plot tried delving into some serious issues without having the tact to pull it off, and there was also That Minigame We Don't Talk About(see: not having the tact to handle serious issues).

It's basically all the bad parts of Dangan Ronpa without any of the good parts.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I wasn't really feeling this episode, but I never did like the Monoworld stuff in the games. I'm hoping the killing games will be good, though right now I feel more interested in seeing what's going on over in the despair story.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man, Despair arc is bittersweet. I like seeing these characters interacting as they are now but we all know how it ends and that's the worst part. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

voltcatfish posted:

I really like asahina's character design

Asahina in a suit is pretty great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Butt Ghost posted:

I'd really like to know Mahiru's contribution to team despair

Magaman bosses got weirdnormal

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I always thought it was weird how Mikan Woman was strong against both Ibuki Woman and Hiyoko Woman.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Rather surprised by that opening for the prequel side. I guess the two sides will be pretty well connected.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The first episode FF ep brought quite a bit of intrigue to the table even if what actually happened was a bit dull, meanwhile this one was conceptually dull to me but had a lot of charm. I I can't remember feeling retroactively bad about a character death before.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

The first episode FF ep brought quite a bit of intrigue to the table even if what actually happened was a bit dull, meanwhile this one was conceptually dull to me but had a lot of charm. I I can't remember feeling retroactively bad about a character death before.

Wrong thread?

The first episode of Dispair side was really fun! I was not expecting to like it that much. It will be interesting to see these two arc play out at the same time, especially if the woken-up future versions of the kids from the Despair Side class show up in the Future arc.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
All I know is that in the future many people that are going through the whole series will probably be spoiled because they decide to see the despair side first because it's a prequel and they will be so confused by the beginning of the first episode.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ViggyNash posted:

Wrong thread?

I think FF means Future Foundation there, so he's in the right place.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

FPzero posted:

My guess is that Chiaki in DR2 was based off of someone in real life, like Alter Ego and Chihiro. That could explain her existence.

One way or another I'm happy to see her here because she's my favorite character from DR2 but I can't help but feel like I'm gonna have to sit through her being killed a second time :(

After watching the despair episode, I'm getting that suspicion as well. I already feel bad, because I really liked Chiaki and now we have the "real" one who should be due to disappear at some point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mikan's fanservice seems like it got turned up ten times as much. At least the scene of her in Despair Mode, while fanservice-y, wasn't over the top.

Also, Nidai's introduction and Chiaki being a real person. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

I think FF means Future Foundation there, so he's in the right place.

Oooohhhh...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mikan's fanservice seems like it got turned up ten times as much. At least the scene of her in Despair Mode, while fanservice-y, wasn't over the top.

Also, Nidai's introduction and Chiaki being a real person. :allears:

Eh, I'd say it was on par with the game.

Also Chiaki was always a real person, the game never implied otherwise...

e: Or did the anime version show it differently?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i mean considering she was literally a computer program yeah it kinda did

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Despair Arc has me giddy. It's what I've wanted for that particular set of characters ever since I learned the Danganronpa 2 twist. Very funny, very fun, very nice to see their actual sides. Really interesting to see where the Housekeeper goes as well. Gonna guess she's the mastermind behind the Future Arc or at least heavily involved in it.

There was so much I loved about the first Despair Arc episode. Gundam's intro. Akane's intro. The homeroom teacher. Nagito's luck. I even cracked up at Nidai's intro and I never laugh at those kinds of jokes. This is gonna be a ride. :allears:

I'm so happy Chiaki is a real person. I didn't expect that at all. Can't wait for her to die horribly while pleading for her despair-ridden classmates to never get up. I'm not ready at all.

I just wish Future Arc measured up. I think when I'm more connected to characters that aren't THE GREAT GOZU I will be, but the student council president isn't really doing much for me and overall it seems to lack the sense of style that I like in Danganronpa. Also, red blood. I don't dislike it and it's cool to see the world like this and I freaked at the shots of the Despair kids at the start, but I'm just hoping it really ramps up soon.

ViggyNash posted:

Also Chiaki was always a real person, the game never implied otherwise...

e: Or did the anime version show it differently?

Chiaki was never implied to have been based on anyone in DR2. She was just an AI built by Chihiro to look over everyone in the Future Foundation's virtual world they put the kids in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it's just that the Despair Arc starts out the way DR normally does. Peaceful setting and then suddenly everything goes bad. Future setting starts out in a bad spot already, so I was kinda ehh about the whole thing.

Also, I can't believe there's no video of Ibuki's introduction on YouTube. :argh:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Really surprised by how much I enjoyed that, this show might come out alright.

ibuki's still the best

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
First episode of Side: Despair was pretty much perfect. I feel like I'm seeing these guys all over again for the first time. It's great :unsmith:

Gundam stole the show as per usual, but I really loved Nanami's intro too. No matter how she's presented in the story, they got her character to a T.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I loving loved that episode. Despair-side is shaping up to be something really interesting and I'm glad we're getting an original story with these guys instead of the straight SDR2 adaptation everybody initially wanted.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i personally love that on funi's series tab for the first anime the first thing you see is an ad saying BUY THE WHOLE BOX SET OF THIS COOL ANIME! and on this ad there is naegi and also junko and genocide, the two spoiler characters, displayed prominently behind him

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Moltrey posted:

ibuki's still the best

If the anime ends with only one character emerging from their coma, it better be Ibuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
DR2's cast is better than DR1's because I actually wanted someone other than Togami to survive for once in 2. A lot of DR2 friends are great, but if I gotta pick one, yeah I'm picking Ibuki. I know that face is supposed to look like a tengu mask or whatever, but the sprite version of it made it look like Nobuyuki Fukumoto drew it everytime and I love it

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 15, 2016

• Locked thread