Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Glad to see the return of my favorite DR2 characters and Chiaki :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I never quite got the love for Chiaki. Like, in the context of the game she is a good person, but she's not terrible interesting or funny as a character.

My favorites are Mahiru, Ibuki's FKMT/tengu face (which is its own character), Hajime, and the tsundere yakuza guy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I never quite got the love for Chiaki. Like, in the context of the game she is a good person, but she's not terrible interesting or funny as a character.

she is a cute anime girl who likes playing video games

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ytlaya posted:

Saaaame. I felt like everyone tripped over their own rear end for her because she likes video games. Like, her dumb lil bump into Hajime and little wave were cute, but I still don't find her interesting. I was waaaaaay more excited to see the teacher hunt down Imposter (who is not being Togami anymore but the animator now??) than I was Chiaki

Meanwhile, Ibuki is a walking K-On refernce and has a song called "I Squeezed Out The Baby But I Have No Idea Who The Father Is", and people hate her apparently idk

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i mean, in a game with as clear a Best Character as Nagito, it's hard to argue about second-best without just going "but yeah nagito is best"

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Chaiki's adorable, but the game references she dropped often agitated me a little. Ibuki, meanwhile, has her moments, but I found her attitude kind of annoying in general. Anyway, I wasn't expecting Side: Despair, the depiction of the corruption of these kids to be an upbeat gag series.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 15, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

Chaiki's adorable, but the game references she dropped often agitated me a little. Anyway, I wasn't expecting Side: Despair, the depiction of the corruption of these kids to be an upbeat gag series.

It's probably just because it's the first episode

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh right and I forgot to say this before but: Sonia owns. I have no idea why I didn't like anything about her in the game but I now suddenly love her from a 20 minute anime episode.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I was surprised by how much I liked the first ep of the Despair arc. It really reminded me how much I adore most of the DR2 cast (except for Hanamura. Sorry, Hanamura). In one way, I don't feel as if I need to see their actual slide into becoming infected with despair, but on the other hand, I was so pleased to see them that I just want to see more of them in general.

Yukizome was amazing, and the writers are glorious bastards for making her so likeable in the Despair arc after what happened in the Future arc.

I can see why Funimation might have wanted to use Super High School Level for the subs here rather than going for consistency with the official translation with Ultimate, since in the DR3 anime, it is actually relevant that various characters are former Super High School Level/Ultimate Whatevers, and if it's SHSL then that explains why the term is former.

I'm looking forward to the next ep of the Future arc a lot, because I just don't trust anybody there except for Naegi and the other DR1 characters. I'm not even sure that Munakata didn't kill Yukizome, since wouldn't it be a very Despair thing to do to kill off your own girlfriend?

Moltrey posted:

Meanwhile, Ibuki is a walking K-On refernce and has a song called "I Squeezed Out The Baby But I Have No Idea Who The Father Is", and people hate her apparently idk

People hate Ibuki?! They have no taste. :colbert:

Chiaki is a bit bland, it's true (though I adore her anyway), but I am very curious about what's going to happen with her in the Despair arc, since we know what happened to the others.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

no one hates ibuki

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

It's probably just because it's the first episode
Right, but I don't see that changing until the last few episodes. I think Side: Despair is going to be the Free Time to Side: Future's Class Trial.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Err, actually, how many episodes are both Future and Despair going to be? 12 each?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

voltcatfish posted:

Err, actually, how many episodes are both Future and Despair going to be? 12 each?

yeah

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Van Dine posted:

I'm looking forward to the next ep of the Future arc a lot, because I just don't trust anybody there except for Naegi and the other DR1 characters.

I don't know I feel like the boxer guy wouldn't have been so awful to Naegi if he was secretly Despair and pretending not to be

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I thought about finally finishing the copy of Despair Girls a friend of mine lent me, but literally the only thing I remember liking about that game was that Nagito kept his Junko hand hidden by a glove the entire time. I just really like how hosed up it is that he put her hand in place of his, like what the hell man.

voltcatfish posted:

Oh right and I forgot to say this before but: Sonia owns. I have no idea why I didn't like anything about her in the game but I now suddenly love her from a 20 minute anime episode.
Sonia was like the only person I liked of the surviving DR2 cast and I really dunno why, she's just pretty cool

Hanamura is the worst DR2 character, but I at least appreciate his bad pervert gimmick isn't just for the girls, this dude is just horny and lovely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Hanamura is way too thirsty.

Also, I think Juzo is just one of those anime guys that distrusts the main character for a good reason, but is an rear end in a top hat about it. Like that one Hoshido guy from Fire Emblem.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 15, 2016

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MattTheDoctor posted:

Chiaki was never implied to have been based on anyone in DR2. She was just an AI built by Chihiro to look over everyone in the Future Foundation's virtual world they put the kids in.

I never got the impression she was another AI like Usami. Pretty much everything about her relationship with Future Foundation sounded like she was a real person who got sent in with the crazies to ensure a smooth transition.

If you're talking about Alter Ego, I'm pretty sure that's a separate entity.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 15, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

I don't know I feel like the boxer guy wouldn't have been so awful to Naegi if he was secretly Despair and pretending not to be

If I recall correctly, from browsing through various Danganronpa related info, the boxer guy is out of another side work: Killer Killer. He really hated Naegi even before the DR2 incident, probably due to conflicting ideals - he just wants to murder the entirety of the Remnants of Despair. In some specific stuff from that work, he apparently blows up an effigy of Naegi at one point, and later specifically has a life-like replica corpse of Naegi made to help him with an infiltration.

Basically, this trial just gave him an excuse to brutalise Naegi a bit. Assuming a large chunk of the characters die, I don't see the boxer surviving - regardless of whether he's a traitor or just a giant rear end.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ViggyNash posted:

I never got the impression she was another AI like Usami. Pretty much everything about her relationship with Future Foundation sounded like she was a real person who got sent in with the crazies to ensure a smooth transition.

If you're talking about Alter Ego, I'm pretty sure that's a separate entity.

They explain that she's an NPC in the graduation trial

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

My favorites are Mahiru, Ibuki's FKMT/tengu face (which is its own character), Hajime, and the tsundere yakuza guy.

Cute gamer girl who is also one of the nicer members of the cast, has some amusing lines and a memorable death sequence. She also contrasts nicely to Nagito who is also a very popular character.

ViggyNash posted:

My bet is that Chiaki dies at some point and is sucked into a USB drive or whatever nonsense AI Junko was.

What was the deal with AI Junko anyways. I played the game in Japanese and didn't quite understand what she actually was.

Lord Koth posted:

Basically, this trial just gave him an excuse to brutalise Naegi a bit. Assuming a large chunk of the characters die, I don't see the boxer surviving - regardless of whether he's a traitor or just a giant rear end.

I kinda hope it's the latter. I think ever antagonist in Danganronpa is straight up evil, insane, remorseful or misguided but not actually that bad.

My favorite antagonists are ones that do what they do just out of sheer bloody minded spite. :allears:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 15, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Chiaki and Fuyuhiko ended up being my favorite characters in DR2. For Chiaki, I think it was a combination of her playing the Kyoko sidekick part but not knowing everything all the time like Kyoko did, always being positive about everything and just being a good and helpful friend to Hajime the whole game. She also had some cute and funny lines mixed in with other moments of seriousness and I just very much enjoyed having her along for most of the game. It made Trial 5's conclusion that much harder in the end.

With Fuyuhiko, something about his character redemption really worked for me. He started out as this gigantic rear end in a top hat that you could tell kind of wanted to join in with the others but whose pride didn't allow him to and ended up becoming one of the more understanding and thoughtful characters in his interactions with Hajime. He really took to heart the second chance at life that Peko gave him, and I was really pleased with how his character worked out in the end. I'm hoping we see the DR2 survivors show up in the Future Arc, because I'd like to see him again.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

I think the home room teacher will end up being related to Usami/Monomi somehow.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FPzero posted:

I'm hoping we see the DR2 survivors show up in the Future Arc, because I'd like to see him again.

I feel like that's unlikely because of the intentional vagueness at the end of DR2 but this early on :iiam:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Ytlaya posted:

Mellow people who melt into the background get a x3 modifier to jokes and poo poo because most of the time they're so mellow they almost fade out of existence, so anything they do do is unexpected to the point of mild shock. Now consider that she eventually goes on to become Hinata's moral compass, and well, that makes quite an impression

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I used to really really like Nanami after I finished watching DR2 for the first time, since I found her message at the end to be really sweet and inspiring, and that was on top of being a cute gamer girl.

Nowadays I like her a little less (even though she's still one of my favs), but that's only because I found out I relate a lot more strongly to Hajime's self-worth issues and him wanting to graduate from a high school that guarantees instant success in life, even to talentless nobodies like him. In that sense I'm not too worried about where they'll take him in DR3 since the bulk of his arc is already in DR2, but it'll be interesting to see context given to his transformation into Izuru.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Yay more Dangan Ronpa! :dance:

Kinda surprised to see some hate for DR2 here...I think of all the different media from the franchise it was probably my overall favourite piece. I liked the characters a lot and one of the reasons i'm so hype for these series is that the despair side will focus more on them. Also the fifth murder/trial in DR2 remains one of my all time favourite video game moments. I could see people being soured on it based on the ending but imo it's a solid game throughout.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I liked Chiaki because she is one of the few people in DR who completely supports Hajime from the beginning without going off on to the crazy train. Her gaming hobby is reminds me of myself growing up and being really interested in niche hobbies but not finding many people who did too. I liked their mini-detective squad moments with Nagito.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Is there a reason why they decided to do 2 different anime series for DR this season but neither of them is DR2? I'm legit curious because I haven't gone near 2 so I don't wanna even approach the one for 3 yet. I just wanna know what is up with the planning here.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Van Dine posted:

I'm looking forward to the next ep of the Future arc a lot, because I just don't trust anybody there except for Naegi and the other DR1 characters. I'm not even sure that Munakata didn't kill Yukizome, since wouldn't it be a very Despair thing to do to kill off your own girlfriend?

My completely unfounded guess right now is that Yukizome is the mole and she killed herself because nothing quite spreads despair like putting one Ultimate Hope in a room full of people that want him dead and having the other one's girlfriend be murdered, setting the two against each other and basically have hope destroy hope. Not exactly any evidence for it other than circumstantial stuff but it feels thematically appropriate at least.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Good Listener posted:

Is there a reason why they decided to do 2 different anime series for DR this season but neither of them is DR2? I'm legit curious because I haven't gone near 2 so I don't wanna even approach the one for 3 yet. I just wanna know what is up with the planning here.

There was apparently a lot of back and forth about this but the development team decided that due to how DR2's plot and setting work out, it doesn't work as well in anime form, so they skipped it. The only way to experience DR2 is to actually see the game.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

FPzero posted:

There was apparently a lot of back and forth about this but the development team decided that due to how DR2's plot and setting work out, it doesn't work as well in anime form, so they skipped it. The only way to experience DR2 is to actually see the game.

I guess that makes sense in a way. It does make me a little more hesitant to check these shows out then since it involves homework basically haha. Thanks!

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

FPzero posted:

Wait so they consider it impossible to adapt properly as a 12 episode anime, but for some reason it's perfect as a 2 hour stage play? I'm starting to think the developers don't actually know how to market their own series.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Wait so they consider it impossible to adapt properly as a 12 episode anime, but for some reason it's perfect as a 2 hour stage play? I'm starting to think the developers don't actually know how to market their own series.

They made a stage play out of DR2? I knew they did it with 1. I think the whole reason came down to the whole "game within a game" thing being apparently difficult to represent in an anime but to be honest that never sounded like a convincing reason to me. Like, parts of Chapter 6 probably wouldn't have the same impact due to the way it fucks with you but, aside from that I don't see why they couldn't make an adaptation.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FPzero posted:

They made a stage play out of DR2? I knew they did it with 1. I think the whole reason came down to the whole "game within a game" thing being apparently difficult to represent in an anime but to be honest that never sounded like a convincing reason to me. Like, parts of Chapter 6 probably wouldn't have the same impact due to the way it fucks with you but, aside from that I don't see why they couldn't make an adaptation.

Yes there's some short scenes on YT for the DR2 play but I'm not sure how they handled the overall story. Reminds me how I wanted a DR2 anime for reasons despite the DR1 anime ... not being good.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Probably they couldn't get 24 episodes for DR2 and that is one that you can't do with just 12 episodes, if DR1 was the rushed mess it was then imagine how DR2 would be so they decided to just skip it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

lets hang out posted:

They explain that she's an NPC in the graduation trial

I thought the explanation was that she was another student but a plant from FF, I don't remember anything about her being an AI like usami.

Anatharon posted:

My bet is that Chiaki dies at some point and is sucked into a USB drive or whatever nonsense AI Junko was.

What was the deal with AI Junko anyways. I played the game in Japanese and didn't quite understand what she actually was.

I'm pretty sure AI Junko was just another program like Alter Ego but written by Junko herself. The Monomi/Monokuma conflict was basically Alter Ego trying to fight Robo Junko.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

I've seen both DR stage plays live, and it's not really the same thing - Japanese anime/game-based stage plays are very small productions that run for a single week and are explicitly aimed at hardcore fans of the source material (the two girls in front of me at the DR2 showing [and the audience for these things is always 90% women] spent time before the show started browsing screenshots of bound fantasy Togami from AE on their phone). The plot is extremely compressed and doesn't make much sense if you don't already know it. The appeal is watching real life actors in elaborate cosplay enacting popular scenes from the game, and not much more.

I suspect DR3 isn't really 2 separate series but rather an exercise in non-linear storytelling. I bet both parts are necessary to get the complete story, and that revelations on either show will be synced to affect the other one on the same week.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Non-linear storytelling would make sense given the beginning of the Despair arc with Yukizome.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I like the teacher I hope she's not secretly the antagonist or something :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The costumes for the DR1 stageplay I remember looked sick as hell

orenronen posted:

(the two girls in front of me at the DR2 showing [and the audience for these things is always 90% women] spent time before the show started browsing screenshots of bound fantasy Togami from AE on their phone).
this owns

• Locked thread