Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man that was such a service-y ending. I think that more than any lack of logic (heh) or dropped plot threads, the complete lack of any kind of ambiguity is what bothers me.

DGR1 ends and the kids, for all they know, are about to step out into a post-apocalyptic world where they might die in 30 seconds from clouds of toxic gas.
DGR2 ends with almost everyone in a coma, on a deserted island.
This anime ends with the equivalent of everyone dancing in circles in a field of daisies while that song by the Turtles plays

Eh, better than the DGR1 anime though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Don't worry. People will just send Kodaka a few death threats, then we'll get The End of Danganronpa 3: You Will (Not) Despair.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

Don't worry. People will just send Kodaka a few death threats, then we'll get The End of Danganronpa 3: You Will (Not) Despair.

Knowing how awful most of the Danganronpa fanbase is, most people probably loved it, other than the Sakakura/whoever and Chiaki/whoever shippers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Knowing how awful most of the Danganronpa fanbase is, most people probably loved it, other than the Sakakura/whoever and Chiaki/whoever shippers.

Seems like the general reaction was "it's a pretty bad series so gently caress it, res everyone, why not". It's a pretty poo poo deal that just Chiaki dies and literally everybody else lives though, I'd trade about half of the idiots in SDR's cast for that ending.

I'm amazed at Nagito's ability to keep the falsetto down after having spent the what would've been the remainder of his coma time getting kicked in the nuts by everyone who woke up at the end of SDR.

Especially Hajime.

E: I guess this group definitely didn't like it:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 29, 2016

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i don't understand how junko's plan for spreading despair didn't involve utilizing shippers at all

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

That was fanservicey as gently caress, and I bought it hook, line and sinker. I had the dumbest loving grin on my face when Nagito showed up and kicked a small rock and when Impostor showed up as a copycat Munakata and from that point on, I realized I couldn't hate this final episode. It was so loving saccharine it probably gave me diabetes, but I'm fine with that. Now we can just move on to the new arc.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
I just wish they had managed their time better so this wasn't so obviously rushed in the end. I mean gently caress we didn't even get Naegi explaining it all in a comic book set to Climax Return.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 30, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Considering how bad DR3 was at trying to be clever and have moments of pathos, I'm glad they went for maximum cheese instead. It is seriously rushed and they probably wanted this to be over as much as I did, but I don't care.

It's finally over. We're free of the arching Kibougamine Gakuen storyline and can focus further entries on known best character Nagito.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
That episode is lucky they inserted all that fanservice, because this ending would have been a huge letdown otherwise.

Honestly my only complaint is that they completely took Naegi out of the resolution. It's really disappointing that the arc centered around the 78th class survivors ended up all those characters being sidelined for the 77th class. Though from what I understand, the DR2 class is far more popular than most of the DR1 cast.

I wonder if the ending of the anime, with Hope Peak Academy reopening under 78th's leadership, will tie at all into DR3? I don't trust Kodaka fully when he says it's wholly separate from the previous titles.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

lotus circle posted:

I wonder if the ending of the anime, with Hope Peak Academy reopening under 78th's leadership, will tie at all into DR3? I don't trust Kodaka fully when he says it's wholly separate from the previous titles.

I have my doubts as well regarding V3's connection to the other games. I'm thinking it will, to use an analogy, be more like Star Trek: The Next Generation than the Battlestar Galactica remake. The cast will be new (aside from Monokuma), but a few of them may well be related to the original cast.

Related to your point above, I have a theory below as to what role the new school in V3 will play in the DR universe:

My thought is that the Gifted Inmates Academy was intended as an extension of the concept of the Neo World Program, and as a safeguard against another Tragedy happening. Perhaps New Hope's Peak Academy now has background checks and psychological exams before they accept a student into the academy. That way, they're able to intercept potential Junkos before they're able to get in and do any damage. The students who pass the entrance exam are admitted into Hope's Peak, and those who fail are shipped off to the Gifted Inmates Academy for rehabilitation. That way, the students can be taught to use their talents for productive purposes, and be given hope again.

Perhaps the game will start with the typical introduction from the first two games; Kaede explains the concept of Hope's Peak Academy and introduces herself as a new student admitted there. She'll then mention that something bad happened at the school and they had to close for a while, so now they have psychological entrance exams. But just when Kaede arrives at the school gate to take her exam, the screen blurs and she passes out, and she wakes up at the Gifted Inmates Academy. Kaede has no idea what she's doing there, since she doesn't remember taking the exam and has no recollection of doing anything wrong. That's when we meet the other students and the game starts.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Subs are already out on some places so yeah.

I actually really liked the episode and the fact that it was fanservice too helped of course.

Unlike most people here I liked Future arc and I had no problems with it at all. Well one problem I had is the whole Miaya thing was a big confusion, I still don't get if Monaca was a accomplice or not of Tengan but whatever, and the whole extra person and 13th division thing was all a red herring but that's fine.

At least they explained the whole Nanami AI thing and it's actually a good explation so yay for that.

I will probably do a big post on the whole series on some point but for now all I say I really liked it overall, Despair arc had some major issues but Future arc was really good for me, all the new characters besides Gozu, Bandai adn Izayoi were were very good(with Kizakura and Chisa being my personal favorites) and I had no complaints there. :)

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems like the general reaction was "it's a pretty bad series so gently caress it, res everyone, why not". It's a pretty poo poo deal that just Chiaki dies and literally everybody else lives though, I'd trade about half of the idiots in SDR's cast for that ending.

I'm amazed at Nagito's ability to keep the falsetto down after having spent the what would've been the remainder of his coma time getting kicked in the nuts by everyone who woke up at the end of SDR.

Especially Hajime.

E: I guess this group definitely didn't like it:

Do these guys just not remember that Komaeda started treating Hinata like poo poo the instant he found out he was a reserve course student? And that he tried to kill literally everyone because he's loving crazy?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You expect rational mindedness from shippers?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The shippers are better than the dude who unironically posted his Kyoko murder fanfiction for four posts.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

rip Super High School Level Nail Artist, killed by a gross nurse

IceBorg posted:

the whole extra person [...] was all a red herring but that's fine.

The sixteenth person was always Hagakure. People who thought the survivor counter was an actual in-universe thing just misunderstood its purpose in raising tension for the viewer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

rip Super High School Level Nail Artist, killed by a gross nurse

The sixteenth person was always Hagakure. People who thought the survivor counter was an actual in-universe thing just misunderstood its purpose in raising tension for the viewer

SHSL Manicurist getting owned by the nurse while the SHSL Sniper can't figure out how to not get hosed up by glare. The SHSL Clown/Entertainer was at least amusing.

Honestly, if the entire backhalf of the series was just the DR2 cast owning bones, I probably wouldn't have minded. In fact, I really want there to be a SoL-type series with the DR2 cast either as a "What if all the bad things never happened?" or a goofy sequel series of the "Despairs" sailing around the world bringing Hope and being the villains the world needs.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I was about to say this was actually an alright ending until Kirigiri came back from the dead, thus putting the final nail in the coffin theorizing that the original DR1 cast was in any danger at all and everyone in the original surviving cast lived. gently caress off Kodaka

At the very least, I marked out pretty hard at the DR2 cast clowning goons, and I actually ended up liking the Hinata/Izuru combination we ended up getting somewhat

I'll post my thoughts some other time, at which time I'll likely close the thread. I'll leave it open for a couple more weeks to let people react to the end/air their grievances

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly, if the entire backhalf of the series was just the DR2 cast owning bones, I probably wouldn't have minded. In fact, I really want there to be a SoL-type series with the DR2 cast either as a "What if all the bad things never happened?" or a goofy sequel series of the "Despairs" sailing around the world bringing Hope and being the villains the world needs.

Revisit the Sakura brawler concept teased in DR1, with a bunch of the DR2 characters also being playable.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I like how Gundam is so powerfull that he doesn't care about copyright! Amazing.

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah by the end of it it was really obvious that was the case but I still think they put that there and counted Hagakure just to makes us think otherwhise for the first episodes at least.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I was about to say this was actually an alright ending until Kirigiri came back from the dead, thus putting the final nail in the coffin theorizing that the original DR1 cast was in any danger at all and everyone in the original surviving cast lived. gently caress off Kodaka

At the very least, I marked out pretty hard at the DR2 cast clowning goons, and I actually ended up liking the Hinata/Izuru combination we ended up getting somewhat

I'll post my thoughts some other time, at which time I'll likely close the thread. I'll leave it open for a couple more weeks to let people react to the end/air their grievances

Even if the ending is a dull fart I'm glad that Kirigiri is alive

EDIT: i'm also biased because i love dumb cheesy bullshit so this is a positive for me even if it's objectively bad :toot:

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 30, 2016

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I'm ambivalent about the ending.

What I liked: THE DR2 CAST, YESSSS! This ep was almost entirely pure fanservice for fans of the DR2 cast. All alive and well, except for Chiaki. And Nagito's adoring expression as he grabbed Naegi's hand and started gushing about him, then being dragged away by the others...that was perfect. Also, I'm pleased that Kirigiri survived. They did lay the groundwork for that with the Cure W bottle before. And Mitarai's interactions with the DR2 cast were great, particularly with the Imposter. I loved seeing Fukawa and Komaru with the rest of the DR1 group!

What I didn't like: DR3 turned out to be utterly lousy from a murder mystery point of view, and not worth the time people spent theorising about it. Tengan was a boring villain with badly-thought-out motives who didn't really even need to run a killing game to get what he wanted. Kirigiri showed up right at the end and didn't even get a flashy entrance. After all the time the series spent on Munakata, he just wandered off after vaguely saying something about Chisa and Juzo and we don't know what he's up to.

So all in all, I feel as if DR3 was pointless and a let-down, but I really loved the DR2 fanservice. They should really have had more time spent on the DR2 cast like this.

Naegi becoming the headmaster seems a bit weird. Hope's Peak was a flaming trainwreck-waiting-to-happen of a school even before Junko got her hands on it. Was it worth reviving? Maybe they felt they had to have a symbol of hope, and that made it necessary. Naegi did talk about shouldering the burden of hope. Still, I'm not sure it was a good idea to bring back the school.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

"Life is simply unfair." -Kazuo Tengan

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I actually love the DR2 cast so I'm down with some maximum cheese. It wasn't a great series outside of some solid moments so gently caress it, give me a dumb happy ending. I got to see how they all fought which is something I was really interested in, the Imposter being Munakata had me laughing really hard, my boy Hinata saved the day, Nagito's robot arm was fantastic, and it was really just pure fanservice and now the DR2 kids can live life happily. Well, as enemies of the state, but ah well. I bought it, I'm happy, now we can move on to V3.

I'm not mad Kyoko isn't dead because it means Kizakura's sacrifice, one of the really good moments of the show, wasn't in vain.

Also, find it funny that Hagakure was right...but about the wrong group of characters.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I am glad all my buddies from DR2 are alive and saved the day. Good ending.

Naegi being Hope God or w/e is w/e.

also nagito talking to naegi is the best part of the episode

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 30, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MattTheDoctor posted:

I actually love the DR2 cast so I'm down with some maximum cheese. It wasn't a great series outside of some solid moments so gently caress it, give me a dumb happy ending. I got to see how they all fought which is something I was really interested in, the Imposter being Munakata had me laughing really hard, my boy Hinata saved the day, Nagito's robot arm was fantastic, and it was really just pure fanservice and now the DR2 kids can live life happily. Well, as enemies of the state, but ah well. I bought it, I'm happy, now we can move on to V3.

I'm not mad Kyoko isn't dead because it means Kizakura's sacrifice, one of the really good moments of the show, wasn't in vain.

Also, find it funny that Hagakure was right...but about the wrong group of characters.

:agreed: I'm such a huge loving cheeseball that I didn't care how dumb everything was, it was just great to see that Hajime and the rest of the class (barring a certain someone) get to live a good life together. Really that the imposter is able to start living his own life with his best pal. And Mitarai finally being happy for the first time in his life is just great :unsmith:.

It sucks that Sayaka, Leon, Chihiro, et al are all deader than dead but even I would find it too much if they all sailed in on a ship to greet Makoto at the end. Kyoko was obviously going to live so there's no surprise there.

tl;dr I'm a big dumb sap who derives please from Chinese cartoon characters being happy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's bullshit Juzo didn't survive this poo poo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are some very obvious problems where they didn't have enough time to fulfill everything (Munakata disappeared, Naegi was completely useless, etc.) but eh, nice cheesy happy ending, I'll take it.

It's easier if you think of Hope as the capstone to the Despair arc rather than to the Future arc.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Truly, they were a Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Academy.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sea Sponge Run posted:

It's bullshit Juzo didn't survive this poo poo.

I was cheering Munakata on to live, not because I like him, but because it was Juzo's last wish.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Don't worry about Munakata, he went back to Inaba and he's happy with Nanako now.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

IceBorg posted:

Don't worry about Munakata, he went back to Inaba and he's happy with Nanako now.

For real though, Munakata's ending actually made me feel sorry for him, considering the Makoto and Hajime groups have so much to look forward to, and he lost/killed the only friends he ever had. :smith:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
They probably left his fate open-ended like this because, despite him being left in a pretty lovely situation, he kinda did some bad stuff like trying to kill everyone, actually killing someone twice (one of then was Tengan who was a dick but still) so they left it open-ended and the fans can decide if he deserves to move on and start a new and better organization or if he will just travel the world being sad and die alone.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
his fault for being dumb as poo poo

I'm glad everyone had a cheesy happy ending and Kirigiri lived. One of my main problems with the show is how dark and depressing it is. You can't have a series all about muh hope and keep giving bittersweet endings, since hope is all about finally getting that happy ending. Good poo poo, worth watching. I wished Nanami was less jesus-like though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Munakata did literally nothing wrong. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

erase all shippers

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

IceBorg posted:

They probably left his fate open-ended like this because, despite him being left in a pretty lovely situation, he kinda did some bad stuff like trying to kill everyone, actually killing someone twice (one of then was Tengan who was a dick but still) so they left it open-ended and the fans can decide if he deserves to move on and start a new and better organization or if he will just travel the world being sad and die alone.

See this is how I'm simultaneously the best/worst audience for Danganronpa. I never want anyone to die :(. Probably my least favorite character in the series is Ruruka, and yet I never wanted her to die, especially not the way she did. I know it's not the right way to approach a game like this, but I always like to figure out some way a character can survive when beginning a new game. I'd say I'd like School/Island mode better but those don't provide any kind of narrative. So whhhhhhhy am I attached to a series where a character is more likely to die??

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

erase all shippers

On this topic I'm actually suprised they really didn't almost anything with Hinata and Komaeda, it's like the most popular pairing out of the series by far, we had that Izuru scene but Izuru is basically a different character, even if you don't count the shipping nosense their relationship was a big thing in DR2 so I'm suprised they didn't do anything with that.

Even in the last episode that was full of fanservice they didn't do anything with that.

Since there will be a OVA with Komaeda they can do it there I guess if they really want people to get the special edition of DRV3.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

Do these guys just not remember that Komaeda started treating Hinata like poo poo the instant he found out he was a reserve course student? And that he tried to kill literally everyone because he's loving crazy?
DR3 forgot a lot of character traits. Even for characters introduced in DR3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

serious thoughts

- real rushed. it's hard to end the conflict presented in dr3 while giving satisfying conclusions to the casts of dr1 and dr2.
- naegi did literally nothing
- I guess munakata is off the hook for murdering some dudes...? what the gently caress is this character arc?
- I guess after the first time, there's no way making another hope's peak academy could ever go wrong!
- wait, so, like, what are the DR2 dudes gonna do now? just chill on a boat. cool I guess.
- uh. any word from space neet?

- I'm surprised Izuru didn't just loving know phoenix down. or maybe he does and the dr2 party just didn't have cut scene deaths. except for chiaki, but thank god one of these dr2 characters had consequence. but yeah, I was almost expecting loving everyone to come back. Like, everyone.

OH poo poo I forgot: also Mikan didn't need to by hypnotized to follow Junko. Are we just gonna forget about that?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 30, 2016

• Locked thread