Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win SFV
This poll is closed.
Infiltration 31 26.96%
Xian 1 0.87%
Tokido 12 10.43%
Harry "Virtua Fighter" Potter 5 4.35%
Diego 6 5.22%
JWong 6 5.22%
Sonicfox 10 8.70%
Lepper Marn 10 8.70%
When's Pokken 34 29.57%
Total: 115 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't have the quote, but the Cannon brothers did come out a while ago saying there were issues with Challonge when trying to run brackets with the amount of entrants they have. Now, it's probable that these issues have been resolved since them, but they did outline some reasons why none of the online solutions at the time would work for a tournament the size of Evo.

That explains why they can't use a free online solution but what the hell is stopping them from tossing some money at a programmer to make a proprietary system? Why not seek out some hip barcoding company to do it in exchange for a sponsorship spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That explains why they can't use a free online solution but what the hell is stopping them from tossing some money at a programmer to make a proprietary system? Why not seek out some hip barcoding company to do it in exchange for a sponsorship spot?

They said it in the thing there, but basically its that up until now Paper Brackets worked fine. Things are different now since the tournaments are so huge that its too slow to keep up with paper. They are probably now going to do what you said and work on their own system to handle manny more entrants if challonge/smashgg have problems.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So after FINALLY coming back home from Las Vegas here is my first post EVO experience report/Las Vegas in general.

Firstly be prepared to walk EVERYWHERE, have comfortable shoes. Seriously leave the cool boots at home or the hotel room for later on that night and opt for the durable comfortable shoes. Have water! Vegas in July is Hell on Earth during the day if you plan on walking to the convention center or even waiting for an Uber or Lyft (both are godsends in that town) have a bottle of water with you.

The prelim days are insane to see with your own eyes.

That was Friday 10 min after they let everyone in. Convention days are crazy be prepared to stand A LOT, some people had the right idea and brought fold-able camping chairs to watch the main screens since seating is severely limited everywhere even for a ginormous space there were massive amounts of people this year for a huge chunk of convention space. If you don't know where stuff is just ask everyone is pretty drat friendly which was cool, especially on the day of the grand finals at the Mandalay. Marvel crowds are.........................something else. That was a massive unexpected dose of masculinity in those crowds. One disappointing thing about it was the lack of vendor space, but understandable to just have the space needed for all the casuals and pools happening all at once. Also a shame there weren't more cabs to play games. It was a really cool experience overall and I look forward to going back, more than likely with more cash for activities outside of the con. Finals at the Mandalay were probably the best, since everyone was able to sit down for the entire time and for the beginning part let people bring in bottles of booze to just buy soda and have a better time.

Here is a picture of me and the friends I went with at the Peppermill, I am the goon with the grey shirt n glasses.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 22, 2016

• Locked thread