Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win SFV
This poll is closed.
Infiltration 31 26.96%
Xian 1 0.87%
Tokido 12 10.43%
Harry "Virtua Fighter" Potter 5 4.35%
Diego 6 5.22%
JWong 6 5.22%
Sonicfox 10 8.70%
Lepper Marn 10 8.70%
When's Pokken 34 29.57%
Total: 115 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

psyer posted:

Baseball was at a better timeslot and main network.

Baseball was from 5-8 PM EST whereas EVO was 10 PM - 1 AM EST.

Not disagreeing; if anything I agree with Endorph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

Slightly lower than ELeague, but given this is the first ever televised fighting game thing I think that's understandable.

Evo 2010 SSFIV finals were shown on G4, complete with commentary by Adam Sessler who has no idea what's going on.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ Shhh, we don't talk about those dark times ^^^^^

There's no downside to the ESPN2 numbers -- I assume SF5 Twitch stream viewership was higher than last year's SF4 viewership, player participation and attendance were up at EVO itself, so I'd guess the 200k viewership is pure positive numbers when figuring out total EVO viewership.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think SFIV peaked last year at around a quarter million viewers on twitch. But there was another streaming service that also had a bunch of viewers too apparently this year(?), plus the ESPN numbers, it was overall a MASSIVE gain for them over previous years.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
There's a gofundme page for the medical expenses of Jordan Bryan's injuries (the player that got hit by a drunk driver and survived)

And another one to pay for the funeral expense of Bobby Garcia

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They released a demo of KoF XIV on PS4 today incase anyone else forgot

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
No one who doesn't stand to benefit financially and isn't desperate for mainstream validation has any reason to give a poo poo about whether EVO can be on television

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Woozy posted:

No one who doesn't stand to benefit financially and isn't desperate for mainstream validation has any reason to give a poo poo about whether EVO can be on television

It's cool that a hobby you put a lot of effort into can gain some broader validation.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Woozy posted:

I enjoy watching fighting games and I want people who may not have heard of them otherwise to get that same enjoyment.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, it got people into it that probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Woozy posted:

i just think it's neat to have a thing i care about getting more recognition

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Woozy posted:

Also true of baseball really, Big Sports just hasn't figured out that SportsTwitch is actually an idea that could make a lot of money.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I think SFIV peaked last year at around a quarter million viewers on twitch. But there was another streaming service that also had a bunch of viewers too apparently this year(?), plus the ESPN numbers, it was overall a MASSIVE gain for them over previous years.

200K for ESPN2, 160K for Twitch. Not sure what the other feeds added up to but it's a solid gain regardless.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Woozy posted:

This seems like a angry statement. Why be upset over something that has no negative repercussions?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Reiley posted:

It's cool that a hobby you put a lot of effort into can gain some broader validation.

they just said desperate for mainstream validation

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This seems like a angry statement. Why be upset over something that has no negative repercussions?

this seems like a stupid post. why be upset over whatever you get it soemthing insulting

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It's cool that fighting games are on TV but it's lame that it's a relatively bland and boring game made by a bad company.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You've already forgotten about Woshige/Ogawa on ESPN.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/yohosiefgc/status/755492629668855808

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Street Fighter should be decent on TV because it is instantly understandable in a broad sense. Like two dudes punching each other with a moderate amount of magic poo poo happening is pretty recognizable. Plus I imagine a lot of people who aren't into games at least vaguely remember playing a SFII cabinet at their Pizza Hut in the 90s and whatnot.

ESPN keeps trying to broadcast Dota or League and that poo poo makes no sense to anyone who doesn't already play it. I imagine anime fighters or Smash are probably in that same boat.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/754770254698520577

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Electromax posted:

Also true of baseball really, Big Sports just hasn't figured out that SportsTwitch is actually an idea that could make a lot of money.

got to get rid of blackout rules imo

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Electromax posted:

There is too much money and hoops to get around to have a centralized streaming platform for sports.

Live sports tv is essentially keeping the cable tv alive so ESPN, FOX and others pay big money to air certain leagues.

MLB, they do sell a streaming platform to stream any baseball match through mlb.tv. There are local blackouts and national TV blackouts in America. So certain sports are doing it.

NFL is exploring streaming with selling Thursday Night Football streaming rights to Twitter.

Sports are slowly going into the streaming market but cable TV is willing to pay big money to slow that down.

Edit: Also those TV ratings also do not take into account of people streaming it on WatchESPN.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Goetta posted:

Street Fighter should be decent on TV because it is instantly understandable in a broad sense. Like two dudes punching each other with a moderate amount of magic poo poo happening is pretty recognizable. Plus I imagine a lot of people who aren't into games at least vaguely remember playing a SFII cabinet at their Pizza Hut in the 90s and whatnot.

ESPN keeps trying to broadcast Dota or League and that poo poo makes no sense to anyone who doesn't already play it. I imagine anime fighters or Smash are probably in that same boat.

You'd think it'd be easy to show and commentate SF5 on TV, but how do you ingrain shimmies, footsies, critical arts, v triggers/reversals/skills, frametraps/etc in a regular broadcasting? Even S-Kill was tripping over his own words when explaining what they meant when they would say a move was safe (although TV jitters can be attributed to that).

Electromax
May 6, 2007

psyer posted:

There is too much money and hoops to get around to have a centralized streaming platform for sports.

Live sports tv is essentially keeping the cable tv alive so ESPN, FOX and others pay big money to air certain leagues.

MLB, they do sell a streaming platform to stream any baseball match through mlb.tv. There are local blackouts and national TV blackouts in America. So certain sports are doing it.

NFL is exploring streaming with selling Thursday Night Football streaming rights to Twitter.

Sports are slowly going into the streaming market but cable TV is willing to pay big money to slow that down.

Edit: Also those TV ratings also do not take into account of people streaming it on WatchESPN.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant though - it's keeping cable TV alive because I can't watch live hockey games online without paying $170 to stream it (more than my whole cable bill) or pirate it. Give me a stream with ads and offer archives of old games and a chat where I can flip out about the last goal with a bunch of strangers* and maybe I start putting it on in the office while I'm working on something. Twitch got like 5 million people to watch old Bob Ross episodes that were already on PBS every weekend - just gotta let the dinosaurs in charge die out first.

* I don't do Twitch chat don't worry

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You'd think it'd be easy to show and commentate SF5 on TV, but how do you ingrain shimmies, footsies, critical arts, v triggers/reversals/skills, frametraps/etc in a regular broadcasting? Even S-Kill was tripping over his own words when explaining what they meant when they would say a move was safe (although TV jitters can be attributed to that).

You don't have to get super technical in your commentary or even touch most of the technical stuff during matches, you just need to give a sense of the emotional arc. Breaking down a replay in between matches would give enough time to get a little bit more technical, and that's what they tried to do.

Like even basketball commentary during games is very superficial stuff like "He's good at shooting on the outside" and "He just wanted it more", it actually is much like how they covered SF, all the intricacies of elevator screen plays and TS% is for the diehard statheads to discuss on message boards.

Anyway I went back and watched the MKX grand finals since someone said that was really good too. Why are they playing with DS4s instead of sticks

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Fighting games are easy to explain what is happening (punch man hurt him) and very difficult to explain how something is happening (frame cancel v-trigger delay meter burn bitcoin roman reigns c-c-c-c-combo breaker for 50% damage). S-Kill could have used more time between rounds/matches to explain how and why things were happening but with the need to get everything done in close to scheduled time it wasn't there.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i dont care about any of these thnings

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think safe and punish are pretty simple concepts, it is just low vs high risk/reward stuff.

Trying to figure out why Nash is suddenly behind someone every 30 seconds and killing them with a buzzsaw is way weirder.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It'd probably behoove Capcom, if they're serious about marketing the game to a broader audience via stuff like ESPN2, to add in a little option for spectator mode that'd display player names above the models. Those loving Nash vs. Nash fights were just straight-up confusing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Pitching SF and other fighters to 50 year olds who want to watch NASCAR is a really weird idea and probably not going to gain traction for obvious reasons, but plenty of younger adults watch ESPN and bars have it on all the time. Those people already have a frame of reference for what a super move is in a video game and probably understand more abstract things like spending limited resources to do something strong. Lots of people play video games, especially ones with RPG elements or phone games, so things like that barely need touched on for that younger group.

"Safe on block" is a pretty FG-specific concept though and one that people who played MvC2 at the arcade 17 years ago won't immediately understand. Especially since a lot of attacks look somewhat similar - A c.mk and c.hk probably look similar enough to a random person watching a match at the bar that one being punishable with a jab and the other not, especially when you consider spacing, is going to take more time explaining.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
let people figure poo poo out on their own, i dont get why commentary has to be beginner oriented all the time these days. it eats up precious time that could be spent discussing hangovers and attractive sisters. use google just write the thing you dont know in google and it will tell you. its more rewarding too

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

As someone who watched his first competitive fighting games on saturday, I feel like SF (which is what I mostly followed) is a lot harder to get into than regular physical sports.

I can get a decent idea of how a match is going in football by following the ball and checking the colour of the shirts of whoever has it, and all that person is going to do is run with the ball or kick the ball. There's immediately a lot more options for a street fighter player than a football player in any given situation, given the combinations of punching and kicking and jumping and throwing fireballs, without even taking into account that depending on the game there might be dozens of different characters which all do very different things.

Then there's the "interface" which in real sports has the score and maybe a readout at the bottom telling me goals this season or the % of missed passes or something, which are generally very descriptive. Watching SF, as well as health and matches/games/sets/whatever the terminology is, there's two bars at the bottom which say CA or EX or V or something with no explanation. Then if I switch games, those bars are either not there at all or have moved or mean different things or who knows. Football to rugby, it's still men on a green background with the score and not a lot else. SF to MK is both an artstyle and an interface change, as well as a game mechanics change.

On top of that, fighting games are definitely more visually busy than normal sports. I feel like people just getting into it might be better served by seeing that gridded training stage, since it's more like a green field or a white rink with painted lines on it rather than a bunch of irrelevant waterfalls and cheering people directly touching player models. And maybe a spectator mode that removes some stuff, or at least gives them better labels, but everyone who does know the game would hate that - if all you're doing is the emotional arc, though, may as well remove the visual description of the complicated bits as well as the audio description.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that I think fighting games (and also basically every other esport) are much harder to introduce people to than regular sports because they're mechanically more complicated, visually busier and very distinct from each other and other activities.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dias posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9caTktglhUI

Okay, the GG thing is a mess for someone that wasn't into the scene when that happened, but here's what I can tell:

Marn didn't kill GG at EVO. However, he did gently caress up the Season's Beatings GG tournament BAD. Like, "didn't run the tournament at all and left a lot of people pissed off" bad. At EVO 2007 - a team tournament -, what happened is that a lot of players showed up super late (one of them might've been Marn) and delayed the brackets, which understandably pissed everyone off and got the game dropped from the 2008 Evo. Then Blazblue happened.

edit: again, the one thing r/kappa is good for, collecting details about FGC drama. https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/2aztft/marn_guilty_gear/

Just reading James Chen writeup about Guilty Gear's EVO shenanigans makes me infuriated. Nothing is worse than a community not being too enthusiastic about its game.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Explain American football to somebody who has never watched

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Regular sportscasting has commentary about 4th down percentages, strategic fouling, and fielding shifts right along side very basic discussion of emotion and tempo of play. Fighting game commentary can be handled in the exact same way, and all of the most important game concepts can be explained in a single sentence.

A fighting game like street fighter is conceptually no more difficult than most other sports, and frankly, is less esoteric than Football's catch rules or the entirety of baseball. Never mind trying to figure out Boxing's promotional or championship methods.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If they had muted the Twitch streamers and spaced out the play a little (maybe another 30 seconds between sets and 2 minutes between matches) for color commentary to catch up and more infographics, it would basically be perfect for TV broadcast

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

People also keep complaining how they don't understand offside, a rule that is two hundred years old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also they literally explained climax arts and v trigger five minutes into the first match

'you get ca for hitting and stuff and can spend it in chunks for better moves or save it for a big damaging super'

'every character has their own v-trigger an we're gonna explain the v-trigger of each character before they show up in a match and point it out when it happens'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Lessail posted:

got to get rid of blackout rules imo

I almost gave NBA money for league pass this season until the first Rockets game I tried watching was blacked out. Immediately refunded my money and stick to shady bootleg streams going forward

• Locked thread