Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win SFV
This poll is closed.
Infiltration 31 26.96%
Xian 1 0.87%
Tokido 12 10.43%
Harry "Virtua Fighter" Potter 5 4.35%
Diego 6 5.22%
JWong 6 5.22%
Sonicfox 10 8.70%
Lepper Marn 10 8.70%
When's Pokken 34 29.57%
Total: 115 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As someone that has watched plenty of sports without understanding the rules, it IS hard to explain EVERYTHING in about 3h, but I find I could enjoy them despite not knowing all the rules. First time I watched a baseball game...okay, lemme use an actual enjoyable sport. First time I watched american football, the only rule I knew was "they score if they get to the end zone" and vague things about "downs". Then people explained to me that there were four downs and how the scoring system worked and interjected whenever the game got stopped explaining what went on, and I kinda got enough out of it that I was able to enjoy the match. Like, even today I have no fuckin' idea why someone would run a shotgun formation over something else but I still find it entertaining.

The issue isn't so much with explaining videogames' rules as it is explaining WHY something was impressive. If a dude hurls a 50yrds bomb, I can understand why that's physically impressive. If someone does a sick tiger knee and shatters a guy's skull...well, c'mon. Even Americans can enjoy soccer from time to time when someone scores a sick goal or dribbles three guys in a row. I find it's harder to explain why something like that reaction super to a fireball that was barely out is amazing, or why some weird fake crossup setup is sick. We have it easier than MOBAs and slightly harder than FPSs, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
MORE time between matches????

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Dias posted:

As someone that has watched plenty of sports without understanding the rules, it IS hard to explain EVERYTHING in about 3h, but I find I could enjoy them despite not knowing all the rules. First time I watched a baseball game...okay, lemme use an actual enjoyable sport. First time I watched american football, the only rule I knew was "they score if they get to the end zone" and vague things about "downs". Then people explained to me that there were four downs and how the scoring system worked and interjected whenever the game got stopped explaining what went on, and I kinda got enough out of it that I was able to enjoy the match. Like, even today I have no fuckin' idea why someone would run a shotgun formation over something else but I still find it entertaining.

The issue isn't so much with explaining videogames' rules as it is explaining WHY something was impressive. If a dude hurls a 50yrds bomb, I can understand why that's physically impressive. If someone does a sick tiger knee and shatters a guy's skull...well, c'mon. Even Americans can enjoy soccer from time to time when someone scores a sick goal or dribbles three guys in a row. I find it's harder to explain why something like that reaction super to a fireball that was barely out is amazing, or why some weird fake crossup setup is sick. We have it easier than MOBAs and slightly harder than FPSs, in my opinion.

They did a pretty good job at explaining about how its like poker but with tons more fast paced reads.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Dias posted:

A commentator going nuts and synergy between combo difficulty and visual impressiveness helps

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Veib posted:

Evo 2010 SSFIV finals were shown on G4, complete with commentary by Adam Sessler who has no idea what's going on.

Thank you for reminding me of this.

It would rule if Adam Sessler just showed up at a future Evo and straight up redeemed himself.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean even if you don't get the underlying mechanics I think it would still pretty easy for someone to be entertained by street fighter. Like it's still going to be pretty tense if one guy has a pixel of life and starts making a comeback

If I tried watching dota or league of legends of something I don't think I would know what was happening

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sports have like decades or even centuries of zeitgeist behind them and it's pretty much impossible to not pick up on your country's/region's favorite sport just by cultural osmosis. Basically every video game is going to seem hard to pick up compared to that even if you never went out of your way to watch or play sports.

But fighting games are almost definitely easier to follow for someone unfamiliar with them than any other genre of video game except possibly slower-paced FPS games.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Lessail posted:

A commentator going nuts and synergy between combo difficulty and visual impressiveness helps

A good crowd noise feed would also help immensely.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

remember, a commentators job is not to explain how to play a game. people watching will see that the red nash with silver skin walked back out of range of the red nash with flesh skin's punch and don't need the commentator to tell them that avoiding damage like that is blah blah blah. the commentator will say "oh baby look at the footsies" or "so and so giving incredible defense" or whatever and it will click.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I didn't watch the ESPN feed so maybe they did this, but a brief intro before the match with a slide on the chosen characters ("Ryu can throw fireballs, Feng has a poison mechanic, Zangief is a lot more dangerous up close") to help the audience understand when a character might have an advantage or another could be helpful. The NFL has tons of time to go into how individual defensive backs match up to wide receivers, etc. that tell you why it might be more interesting when Calvin Johnson lines up against Richard Sherman or whatever.

At a basic level, "stronger attacks typically take longer to do and are more risky, while safe attacks let you return to a defensive stance before they can counterattack, and throws are fast but leave you wide open if you whiff" is enough for someone to start watching for a few minutes without too much confusion. Stuff like footsies and pokes aren't THAT technical, they already exist in boxing as a fairly intuitive concept. Some ESPN people could probably package it all up in a nice 30-second intro primer pretty easily.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Electromax posted:

I didn't watch the ESPN feed so maybe they did this, but a brief intro before the match with a slide on the chosen characters ("Ryu can throw fireballs, Feng has a poison mechanic, Zangief is a lot more dangerous up close") to help the audience understand when a character might have an advantage or another could be helpful. The NFL has tons of time to go into how individual defensive backs match up to wide receivers, etc. that tell you why it might be more interesting when Calvin Johnson lines up against Richard Sherman or whatever.

At a basic level, "stronger attacks typically take longer to do and are more risky, while safe attacks let you return to a defensive stance before they can counterattack, and throws are fast but leave you wide open if you whiff" is enough for someone to start watching for a few minutes without too much confusion. Stuff like footsies and pokes aren't THAT technical, they already exist in boxing as a fairly intuitive concept. Some ESPN people could probably package it all up in a nice 30-second intro primer pretty easily.

They definitely did both of those things, actually. It's part of what made it such a solid broadcast.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean even if you don't get the underlying mechanics I think it would still pretty easy for someone to be entertained by street fighter. Like it's still going to be pretty tense if one guy has a pixel of life and starts making a comeback

If I tried watching dota or league of legends of something I don't think I would know what was happening

Absolutely this. A friend of mine who's super into LOL mentioned how fighting games are just easier to watch for the uninitiated. You don't need to know that much about the game on display to get an idea of whats going on. With League you need 3 days of context and even so, it's still often confusing. Maybe that's hyperbole, but there's a lot going on in a MOBA to keep track of for a person just tuning in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even ignoring everything else, a moba has ten people to keep track of (possibly more, in cases like lone druid or the lost vikings where one person is controlling multiple entities) and a fighting game has 2.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Paragon is the first MOBA I ever really gave the time of day to. They asked me how familiar I am with MOBA's at the start and I picked the "WTF is a MOBA" option and instead of sending me to a screen that might explain some of this poo poo they just kicked me into an all AI game, put me through some weird character draft and then told me to shoot a tower.

I went back to Overwatch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf paragon isn't very good. dota at least has a sandbox mode where you can just test the boundaries of things

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I admit I haven't tried League in a hot minute, but the only Moba I've played with an actual decent opening tutorial was Awesomenauts

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Electromax posted:

They did one for MIka that was like

* Mika is a mixup character
* Her mixups lead to good damage
* Looking for that mixup

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mobas are cancerous to the uninitiated. I get that the skill ceiling with the teamwork is cool to watch but I'm amazed that something like Rocket League isn't taking off more just in terms of spectating. It's similar in terms of the team skill ceilings being insanely high but with the fast paced action of other games rather than mobas which have slower burns w/ explosive moments.

Is it just that most people who spectate games also play games and since league and dota have the most players they'd obviously have the most watchers? Makes me wonder if as esports get more exposure and pick up more pure spectators if there will be a paradigm shift to other sorts of games getting the most views (like street fighter and rocket league!!)

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 20, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Paragon is the first MOBA I ever really gave the time of day to. They asked me how familiar I am with MOBA's at the start and I picked the "WTF is a MOBA" option and instead of sending me to a screen that might explain some of this poo poo they just kicked me into an all AI game, put me through some weird character draft and then told me to shoot a tower.

I went back to Overwatch.

Just for the sake of fairness, you should know that they also ask you the same thing for your first time opening Dota and if you say you're a newbie then they "make" you do a tutorial. It's a pretty good quality one imo.

a cop posted:

Is it just that most people who spectate games also play games and since league and dota have the most players they'd obviously have the most watchers? Makes me wonder if as esports get more exposure and pick up more pure spectators if there will be a paradigm shift to other sorts of games getting the most views (like street fighter and rocket league!!)

I glanced at the League of Legends category on Twitch the other day and noticed that three channels constitute almost two thirds of the game's entire viewer audience, so I think it's just because of e-famous people that the game is up there.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 20, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Just for the sake of fairness, you should know that they also ask you the same thing for your first time opening Dota and if you say you're a newbie then they "make" you do a tutorial. It's a pretty good quality one imo.

Yeah, it's a pretty good tutorial but I think it still doesn't build up to actually being able to follow DOTA or LOL competitively. The problem with both of those games is so much of the scoreboard is not represented visually. To actually know how even a game is you need to know the net worth of players, their items, their objectives. Watching professional matches it feels like GG gets called way too late to an uninitiated viewer (me), with the losing team falling further and further behind, only GGing once they're pushed back to the rax or further. I have no idea why they're not GGing when they're down 25-5 or something, but that's how I've felt with the few DOTA matches I've watched during the Manila Major.

Contrast that with watching a fighting game, every good read is rewarded with immediate feedback. There are clearcut scoring situations every 99 seconds at a minimum, and the round itself can be observed and understood at even a simple level. Hell, even Starcraft has these things because armies and their value are largely visible, and can be again understood (the basics of big armies and economies winning over smaller armies and economies) without too much trouble, and when the game is clearly decided it tips and ends straight away rather than being dragged out.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Not to interrupt a very good discussion, but:

https://twitter.com/slash5150/status/755563572374020096

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

bhsman posted:

Not to interrupt a very good discussion, but:

https://twitter.com/slash5150/status/755563572374020096

amazing

long island joe will be a household name

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Oh gently caress I watched smackdown and I missed that bit. Pretty dang cool.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What's he even saying? somethingsomething Long Island Joe Sunday something something

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gutcruncher posted:

What's he even saying? somethingsomething Long Island Joe Sunday something something

Something something "he's gonna need more game than Long Island Joe at the Battlegrounds pay-per-view..."

Also:

https://twitter.com/mauroranallo/status/755611342493585412

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh poo poo thats badass

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

announcer saying joe ain't got game? must be a kazunoko fan

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Real hurthling! posted:

announcer saying joe ain't got game? must be a kazunoko fan

I think he's saying the (losing?) wrestler needs to be better (like Joe).

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Please respect Zack "Long Island Iced Z" Ryder

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

bhsman posted:

Something something "he's gonna need more game than Long Island Joe at the Battlegrounds pay-per-view..."

Also:

https://twitter.com/mauroranallo/status/755611342493585412

Mauros a cool commentator. I mean, their other commentators are a step above random winos you would find under a bridge somewhere so its not a lot of competition but still.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

a cop posted:

They're also relatively slow paced, meaning commentators have plenty of time to actually talk about what's happening. I've watched my roommate play HotS and he can basically narrate the game and see no real drop in his gameplay, this makes them really good for streaming since you can talk to your chat easier.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think the take away here is that Mauro Ranallo is loving awesome.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

I haven't heard his WWE work, but he's a pretty good ring announcer. He used to do the Strikeforce MMA shows on Showtime and did a great job with what he was given there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

He was also excellent during his time calling PRIDE FC alongside the always entertaining Bas Rutten.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

AndyElusive posted:

He's a notoriously terrible MMA commentator, but I mean he's good at yelling poo poo.

Career highlight: having a seizure and forgetting how to talk because he's so excited Dan Henderson just knocked a dude out, which I can't quite find right now but exists on the internet somewhere.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
In wake of the complaints from the Smash (and basically MKX) communities, Tony Cannon did a big write up on reddit to address several of the complaints. tl;dr is that the attendance for the event from both competitor and spectator bases had far exceeded their expectations when allocating space/time and that paper brackets made things slow.

He also brings up the 2/3 vs 3/5 question to the community, and straight up outlines that Smash 2/3 is the only way it can fit into a 2 hour timeslot, but he tried to offer up someone alternatives (like running losers on a second stream). I guess we'll see what comes out of that.

Also I do like this bit:

quote:

In addition, we need to switch from paper brackets to a fully-online system to eliminate the delay in propagating players from one round to the next. We plan to do this for next year.

Surprised it took this long years after online solutions have been readily available and (in my own experience running brackets at different events/venues) better. James Chen is probably out there somewhere crying about this now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm absolutely surprised they didn't run a 2nd stream for either smashes considering they were both as high as peak SF4 attendance. Should be an easy solution.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

I'm absolutely surprised they didn't run a 2nd stream for either smashes considering they were both as high as peak SF4 attendance. Should be an easy solution.

to speed things up just combine the tournaments. treat smash4 as winners and melee is already for losers so the bracket should work out fine.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

attackmole posted:

He's a notoriously terrible MMA commentator, but I mean he's good at yelling poo poo.

Career highlight: having a seizure and forgetting how to talk because he's so excited Dan Henderson just knocked a dude out, which I can't quite find right now but exists on the internet somewhere.

Notoriously awesome, you mean.

Oh and here's that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cykb95OUq-k

I'd forget how to talk properly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ventana posted:

Surprised it took this long years after online solutions have been readily available and (in my own experience running brackets at different events/venues) better. James Chen is probably out there somewhere crying about this now.

I don't have the quote, but the Cannon brothers did come out a while ago saying there were issues with Challonge when trying to run brackets with the amount of entrants they have. Now, it's probable that these issues have been resolved since them, but they did outline some reasons why none of the online solutions at the time would work for a tournament the size of Evo.

• Locked thread