Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win SFV
This poll is closed.
Infiltration 31 26.96%
Xian 1 0.87%
Tokido 12 10.43%
Harry "Virtua Fighter" Potter 5 4.35%
Diego 6 5.22%
JWong 6 5.22%
Sonicfox 10 8.70%
Lepper Marn 10 8.70%
When's Pokken 34 29.57%
Total: 115 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

And once again we have to endure Melee on Sunday.

Jesus Christ I played that competitively for years and even I'm bored to goddamn tears with it by now. The matchups haven't changed in 8 years.

excuse you, one guy plays yoshi now... what a deep and ever-evolving game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
What's the chance we get more Ono cosplay this year? I wanna see a Juri costume

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Melee would be okay if they ban hungry box from the tournament. Dude is like the only reason why top 8 takes so long.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Melee would be cool if every match had Wobbles in it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if they banned meta in brawl they should ban sheik, fox, falco, and marth in melee

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

if they banned meta in brawl they should ban sheik, fox, falco, and marth in melee

Peach supremacy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What do you think the SFV news they're gonna announce at their panel will be

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Jmcrofts posted:

Melee would be cool if every match had Wobbles in it
I agree with this not just because I like seeing Wobbles get grabs but also because wobbling pisses off Melee players so, so much.

I'm okay with Marth players too since I used him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

What do you think the SFV news they're gonna announce at their panel will be

sakura

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's like 4 good ice climbers that Wobble, ironically one of them is terrible at it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tae posted:

Melee would be okay if they ban hungry box from the tournament. Dude is like the only reason why top 8 takes so long.

Hungrybox is one of the few reasons why Melee is enjoyable to watch and his playstyle actively trolls Melee fans so never. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
give smash a bro its own stream like other tournaments have done and let the actual fighting games be on the primary channels more

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

bhsman posted:

Hungrybox is one of the few reasons why Melee is enjoyable to watch and his playstyle actively trolls Melee fans so never. :colbert:

The only thing he trolls is non-melee fans because he's the only jigglypuff user

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tae posted:

The only thing he trolls is non-melee fans because he's the only jigglypuff user

That honestly makes it more interesting because he's not playing a non-Falcon top tier character, and Jigglypuff is an inherently risky character to play with arguably the riskiest move in the game. Also Box himself seems like a chill dude from what I've seen of his Twitter. :shobon:

EDIT: Also he literally got booed at EVO last year due to playing so lame/defensively, of course he trolls Melee fans

bhsman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 12, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like when you combo into rest as jigglypuff but due to a random bug it does 50% of its normal damage and none of the knockback so you lose the game instead

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For those who don't know, Jigglypuff is hard countered by Fox, which is why she's an uncommon character despite nominally being better than 3/4th of the cast. So Hungrybox's average tournament experience is beating back armies of Foxes. I have to be at least slightly with a player like that, even if he does wait out the timer.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Box is also the anti-Mang0 so I am required to cheer for him.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

bhsman posted:

EDIT: Also he literally got booed at EVO last year due to playing so lame/defensively, of course he trolls Melee fans

The crowd booed Bruce last year for laming it out against Infiltration, can you really trust them

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dragon enthusiast posted:

The crowd booed Bruce last year for laming it out against Infiltration, can you really trust them

They also peer pressured that Sabrewulf player into losing against that Kan Ra during KI top 8, too...

Basically gently caress the crowd.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wish the crowd had peer pressured all the ki and mk players until leaving so we could get blazblue or uniel or something

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
2 pages of the evo thread and its only about melee. death to evo now

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

look at all those logos and realize only like 1.5 of them are any good at all and one of them is anime and one of them isnt out yet

The logos or the games?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

Hell yeah

Anyone else going slightly disappointed that the only time this year will be on the strip is finals on Sunday?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

And once again we have to endure Melee on Sunday.

Jesus Christ I played that competitively for years and even I'm bored to goddamn tears with it by now. The matchups haven't changed in 8 years.

This will be when I either head to Mandalays buffet or I go lose some cash at the blackjack tables.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Brosnan posted:

The logos or the games?

all of the logos are anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my girlfriend designs logos, i will get her opinion on the evo fighting game logos

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

Anyone else going slightly disappointed that the only time this year will be on the strip is finals on Sunday?

A little bit. It was at the same venue a few years ago and it was mostly okay, my friends and I spent a lot of time on the strip regardless.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
BTW I made 3 listicle videos last week relating to Evo, hope you guys find them interesting/informative.

6 SFV players I'm most excited to watch at Evo, with online replays for each one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qpRzvai7z0

7 tips for your first Street Fighter tournament, check this out if this is your first Evo and aren't sure what to expect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYha9XNz7IM

5 reasons I'm hype for Evo, this one has a facecam so don't make fun of me for being fat and goony pls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsXnrtM6UCw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

killer instinct: 'looks like the logo for one of those knockoff movies, like uhhh transmorphers'

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dangerdoom volvo posted:

2 pages of the evo thread and its only about melee. death to evo now

Discussion about EVO was about a game featured at EVO? :aaaaa:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I bet the SFV news is going to be an xbollocks port.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

melee would be fine if they changed the stock/time rules. the current rules are both unnecessary and incredibly anti-spectator

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

i wish the crowd had peer pressured all the ki and mk players until leaving so we could get blazblue or uniel or something

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tae posted:

Melee would be okay if

They allow all items in the game at low intervals I know right???? :colbert:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

stop smash

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Personally can't wait for Melee to go two hours over its timeslot, making ESPN mad, only for a full on R. Mika buttshot to cause ESPN to pull the feed and launch a million thinkpieces.

Personally I'm writing stuff for Kotaku/Jezebel right now, just to be prepared.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

C. Everett Koop posted:

Personally can't wait for Melee to go two hours over its timeslot, making ESPN mad, only for a full on R. Mika buttshot to cause ESPN to pull the feed and launch a million thinkpieces.

Personally I'm writing stuff for Kotaku/Jezebel right now, just to be prepared.

Wiz tweeted that he has a plan in case the tournament is running late. He'll probably kick Melee off the main stage or something.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Tekken finals are at 9 AM on Saturday. As someone who doesn't watch much Tekken, is it worth viewing? Otherwise, I can find something else to do before Evo.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Jmcrofts posted:

Wiz tweeted that he has a plan in case the tournament is running late. He'll probably kick Melee off the main stage or something.

Why wait??? Do it ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gilg posted:

Tekken finals are at 9 AM on Saturday. As someone who doesn't watch much Tekken, is it worth viewing? Otherwise, I can find something else to do before Evo.

It is a good game but IMO it's hard to really know what's going on unless you play the game. It's not like SF where you can go "that guy jumped and the other guy anti-aired him, I get it".

• Locked thread