Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Welcome to the anime thread for Mob Psycho 100! Or 100 Mob Psycho, depending on how you feel like reading the title. Both are correct. The manga thread is over here. You can find the show on Crunchyroll.

Mob Psycho 100 is the first published manga by the artist ONE, who is mainly known for his hobby comic One Punch Man, which then got published when Yusuke Murata redrew it, and then the redraw recently became a pretty darn good anime.

Mob Psycho 100 is the story of Kageyama Shigeo, a pretty boring kid who happens to have potent, unstoppable psychic powers. He is nicknamed Mob, because he is extremely boring and unnoticeable, like a mob enemy in a video game. It is the story of how he handles that power, and grows as a person.

MP100 and OPM both have the same core premise: What if a boring person had an unstoppable amount of power? But while One Punch Man uses this premise as a way to tell the same joke over and over with increasingly more elaborate setup, Mob Psycho 100 takes that premise completely seriously, with everything that that kind of power involves. And it is incredible.

Most readers of MP100 will tell you that MP100 is ONE's better work, and this is no slight to One Punch Man at all. Some disagree, and that's fair - OPM is really really good too. This is not the thread for arguing over which is better. This is the thread for marveling that we get to exist in a world where both series have a fantastic anime adaptation.

We're one episode in and I'm ready to declare this anime of the year if it even remotely keeps up this level of quality. With one episode left to go, I can say with 100% Conviction that Mob Psycho 100 is the anime of the year, and nothing really comes close. Every scene is an explosion of color, everyone is very animated and fluid, and ONE's style translates to animation far better than anyone would have ever expected.

Characters

Kageyama Shigeo aka MOB

Just some kid, he's not very important.

Reigen Arataka

The world's greatest psychic (self-proclaimed). He is the main person responsible for shaping Mob's psychic growth. Mob couldn't ask for a better teacher.

Tsubomi-chan

The most beautiful person in the world, according to a very biased, very boring child with a crush who hasn't talked to her in years.

Kageyama Ritsu

Mob's younger brother, who is smart, dependable, athletic, popular, and altogether better than Mob in every way. He's someone Mob can always rely on, even though he has no psychic powers.

Some other people

Enjoy the show. You can find it on Crunchyroll.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Also

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Reigen rules so hard.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This is already an amazing adaption and if the 26 episode rumor is true then hooooly hell. While there's technically not a lot in this first episode, it does so much for establishing the tone. Also the meter counting up is lowkey my favorite thing about this series.

Mob is currently at 27%

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm super excited for some more Mob already! They captured One's janky but charming art style perfectly.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone have a wallpaper quality image of Tome from the OP

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
After the excellent adaptation of OPM my expectations for Mob Psycho 100 were very high, and I haven't been let down. The first episode kicked rear end and had me laughing frequently. Anime of the season for me.

:perfect:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You're all making it very difficult to wait the week until this is free, you know that?

Very, very difficult.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
After catching up to OPM by ONE I kept thinking of reading MP100 but I'm glad that I waited out enough to get this gorgeous anime and then jump into the manga once the anime finishes and there's even more MP100 to read.

oh poo poo, OPM MPO(nehundred)

also loved the saitama cameo

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

You're all making it very difficult to wait the week until this is free, you know that?

Very, very difficult.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/guest_pass?code=ZB35DME4HCJ

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

This show is absolutely loving amazing and surpassed even my expectations. Don't really have much more to add than that, beyond being unable to wait to see how certain things from the manga wind up on the screen. :toot:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Man, I don't remember getting so excited over how an animated show looks ever since Ping Pong The Animation.

I loved every second of this.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I choose to believe Reigen is 100% honest about everything and is in fact an incredibly powerful psychic and if you do not, you are a heretic

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Just an fyi the 2-cour rumor is based on poking around the webpage, but it could easily be a result of the site the mob psycho site used as a base being an anime with 24 episodes.

That being said, they did manage to leak the episode titles of the 12 confirmed episodes of the show. Just go to http://mobpsycho100.com/story/02.html and view the source and scroll down, they're in the alt text for the "COMING SOON" images. If you've read the manga and were curious about the anime's pacing you might be able to figure it out from the titles.

Probably don't post about it here though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There were storyboards on twitter of things that happen in MP100 that far extend what you could reasonably expect in a single cour, so I think it'll be more.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

El Burbo posted:

Does anyone have a wallpaper quality image of Tome from the OP

Sure thing.

EDIT: It looks like imgur compressed this weird, its fuzzier than it should be. I uploaded a better version to my mediafire.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 12, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Hmmm...Shounen isn't really my thing, but the art and animation are gorgeous. Mob and Reigen only really had one joke each, but I can't really judge the characters and humor after one episode. I'll be following this one!

I hope we get more scenes like the ones with Mob's family. Them being all irritated about the spoon-bending was very sweet.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 12, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I choose to believe Reigen is 100% honest about everything and is in fact an incredibly powerful psychic and if you do not, you are a heretic

What else could you believe?

He's the rising star of the psychic world! Look at what he considers small fry. That is not a man you want to mess with.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the animation owns Bones

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

I was ready for this to be great, but was not prepared.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I mean, obviously.

I've been looking forward to this anime for a while. After finishing OPM I wanted to get into One's other works but hearing that this was getting an adaption led me to put that on hold for a bit and start with watching the anime, because that worked really well for me with OPM. And it seems to be working well again, because drat that was an amazing episode. The use of colour ruled hard, the art and animation was great, and the monster designs were loving fantastic. I didn't think much of the premise when I first heard about it, but I knew it'd be able to deliver. And it definitely did so far.

Also, nothing was explained about that "Mob explosion meter" right? That's uh, a little worrying.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There were storyboards on twitter of things that happen in MP100 that far extend what you could reasonably expect in a single cour, so I think it'll be more.

Did broccoli ever pop up earlier in the manga, or is it's presence in the opening a sign we're possibly going to get really close to catching up with the manga?

No matter how deep they go, this still seems like it's going to be an excellent ride. Nailing Reigen is pretty much 90% of nailing the entire show.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like if everything else about this show sucked except for the animation, I'd still watch it because the animation itself is just too much fun to watch.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, nothing was explained about that "Mob explosion meter" right? That's uh, a little worrying.

The Mob meter needs no explanation. It is an indicator of how close we are to the apocalypse.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reigen is the new star of the 21st century

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The show's not called Mob Psycho 100 for nothin'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Did broccoli ever pop up earlier in the manga, or is it's presence in the opening a sign we're possibly going to get really close to catching up with the manga?

No matter how deep they go, this still seems like it's going to be an excellent ride. Nailing Reigen is pretty much 90% of nailing the entire show.

I don't think so. That OP is heavy foreshadowing either way though. The story board I'm specifically referring to is from CLAW, so we're probably getting that Reigen bit. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reigen is definitely going to end up in a lot of people's "Top characters of 2016/Decade/All time" lists. He's utterly perfect.

e:
https://twitter.com/rbrogan27/status/752615732727443457

unreal

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 12, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
First episode was extremely stylish and fun. I'm only a few arcs into the manga, but this adaptation's definitely gonna give me the push I need to keep reading it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Sure thing.

EDIT: It looks like imgur compressed this weird, its fuzzier than it should be. I uploaded a better version to my mediafire.

Yes excellent

Thank you

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
I'm one of those goobers who had read OPM for a long time but just never really touched MP100 for some excuse or another.

And holy cow. I think I've found a new favourite anything, assuming this keeps the same quality going.

Not gonna read the comic and experience this show blind though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This looks better than OPM, holy poo poo.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

How does this show have so drat much personality already? It's unreal.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's weird to compare them but part of me wants to say this has a better OP than One Punch Man, just for how hype that counting is and the chant of "Mob, Mob, what do you want?

also the OP loving loops

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I watched the first episode of this and it was really good but I'm still not exactly sure what kind of show its gonna be. Could a manga reader provide some insight so I can adjust my expectations?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The battle of ONE franchise OPs is a no contest. MP100 has a better song and the visuals for it are more fitting for the series too, never mind just being better looking.

Charlie Bobson posted:

I watched the first episode of this and it was really good but I'm still not exactly sure what kind of show its gonna be. Could a manga reader provide some insight so I can adjust my expectations?

It's hard to really say much without giving much away but it's kind of a slice of life premise where it follows Mob's life but he naturally gets into scenarios where poo poo happens

Interestingly, you can watch episode 1 on UK Crunchy without a trial or log in right now.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 12, 2016

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Charlie Bobson posted:

It's about a very nice boy who isn't very much in touch with his emotions but has extreme psychic power that he's very sheepish about who learns more about how to feel things and to open himself up to others and occasionally deals with paranormal happenings in his town. When his emotions each fully emerge (you'll notice the % is pointed out every so often), he also has psychic power surges. It's cool because these periods of extreme action are set up by his interpersonal interactions, which I would describe as generally extremely charming. It's the best of both worlds of slice of life and occasionally action shonen.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 12, 2016

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
sounds loving rad im 100% in

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
THIS ANIME GAVE ME PSYCHIC POWERS. I AM POSTING USING ONLY MY MIND.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Charlie Bobson posted:

sounds loving rad im 100% in

whoa now, that sounds dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Reigen is definitely going to end up in a lot of people's "Top characters of 2016/Decade/All time" lists. He's utterly perfect.

e:
https://twitter.com/rbrogan27/status/752615732727443457

unreal

So this scene is credited to Miyo Sato as "Paint On Glass" animation. She's a young director and animator who recently graduated from the Tokyo University of Arts Graduate program. Her first year work in the program is a 3 minute short animated this way, its kind of crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGdWCl0rNQ

Don't be surprised to see more young talent or alternate styles on this project.

aers fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 12, 2016

• Locked thread