Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Roland Jones posted:

Though it's still interesting that, even after all that, he survived the jar; I wonder if that Claw guy, despite being a Scar, just had super-weak spirits, or if Dimple really had recovered that much by that point.
Dimple is strong and also appeared to be the only sentient spirit in there. I'm sure they thought about writing in a comedic scene where dimple dupes these spirits, but we already saw dimple duping stupid feral spirits last episode and it would have been a needless distraction away from better moments within the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I miss Reigen. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I watched half of this show and I'm not really feeling it. The general animation and the OP in particular are great, but everything else about it seems like a fairly generic high school kind of story to me, just lightly dressed up with ghost bustin' and ESPer battles. Can't say any of the humor has landed for me either. The narration seems super over done at times too, to the point where it is just describing things that are directly being depicted onscreen.

Am I missing something here?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 31, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You might like the second half more. :shrug:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If it hasn't hooked you by now then it's probably just not for you. The second half is an actual plot arc rather than just individual events so maybe that might be more your thing, but it's still going to be the same characters with the same humor style. It's of course up to you to decide what you want.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Maybe skip ahead to around 6:40 in episode 8, which will obviously spoil most of 7, but there's an action scene that exemplifies the higher stakes of the second half.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 31, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't skip about. It's okay to not like ONE's gift to mankind, drop it if you don't like it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah don't skip around and totally drop it if you wanna.

The first 6 or 7 episodes are mostly smaller arcs and slice of life with some cool psychic stuff thrown in, all of it in service to the last few episodes which are all one big climax arc.

I remembering enjoying MP100 p. alright, nothing Amazing, but Mob crying after the fight with Teru because he views himself as a failure for losing control of his powers and hurting people again was the point in the manga where I was 100% in, but I can see that scene just not working for you if you're not into it anytime before then

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 31, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If the humor hasn't landed for you at this point then it probably won't at all.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Yeah don't skip around and totally drop it if you wanna.

The first 6 or 7 episodes are mostly smaller arcs and slice of life with some cool psychic stuff thrown in, all of it in service to the last few episodes which are all one big climax arc.

I remembering enjoying MP100 p. alright, nothing Amazing, but Mob crying after the fight with Teru because he views himself as a failure for losing control of his powers and hurting people again was the point in the manga where I was 100% in, but I can see that scene just not working for you if you're not into it anytime before then

The moment in that fight where Teru is choking Mob and then Mob raises his fist to fight back which causes Teru to prepare for a psychic attack and then... the weak punch. And Teru even comments on the fact that Mob has been doing strength training and yet is still so weak! It always gives me chills to see how pure Mob's dedication is to his ideals. He's a good kid! :glomp: Won't comment about future arcs, but suffice to say they are better than the ones covered so far IMO (not to undersell the anime, it was really really good!) and I can't wait to see them. Did the anime sell well? I certainly hope so, it was amazing!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I marathoned this yesterday.

It's really good.

My internet cutting out for twenty minutes between episodes 11 and 12 was a cruel cruel fate.

And Reigen is the best. All along he's been a con-man using Mob for his ghost-busting ability, but when poo poo gets real he is 100% there for the kid, and more importantly, willing to do whatever it takes so that Mob doesn't accidentally murder someone.

That point when he sees the Scars as broken children...

Whatever people are paying ONE it's not enough.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Same I just finished binge watching the anime. I had read the manga before the anime aired but I only read a dozen chapters so I had only read up till Teru vs Mob fight ending.

Bones did a great job with the animation and the sakuga was almost as good as OPM. I am happy they kept ONE's artstyle because it is so unique and lends it self to all sort of madness with cool waterpaintings, pencil drawn scenes and etc. The VAs were pretty good too imo. Mob's va has that innocent gullible tone in his voice with everything he says. Dimple is the same VA as Rider from Fate/Zero which is manly as hell.

One thing I definitely remembered from reading the manga was absolutely loving every scene with Reigen in it and it didn't change in the anime. Even when he was taking advantage of MOB he was just hilarious and u could see he had no bad intentions. I remember when the anime started some people were hating on Reigen but he is by the far the best character in this show.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elfface posted:

And Reigen is the best. All along he's been a con-man using Mob for his ghost-busting ability, but when poo poo gets real he is 100% there for the kid, and more importantly, willing to do whatever it takes so that Mob doesn't accidentally murder someone.

That is the biggest question about Mob, just what to call Reigen. He technically is a con man as a lot of his craft is all about bullshitting his customers, but it is always because it is the only way they will accept the relatively mundane help they actually need. He does rip off Mob for how much he pays him, but in turn he has helped to teach Mob how to properly view his powers and how not to abuse them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think the final two episodes pretty definitively answer the Reigen question.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

So I watched half of this show and I'm not really feeling it. The general animation and the OP in particular are great, but everything else about it seems like a fairly generic high school kind of story to me, just lightly dressed up with ghost bustin' and ESPer battles. Can't say any of the humor has landed for me either. The narration seems super over done at times too, to the point where it is just describing things that are directly being depicted onscreen.

Am I missing something here?

basically you just finished the sort of 'world building' episodes I think

I thought they were excellent, but if you didn't like them, then maybe the next episodes are more your cup of tea. It definitely steps out of the high school stuff from this point on

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What is Reigen Arataka?

The greatest.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
(self proclaimed)

(but also by me)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/rock_leesa/status/801603429248311296

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Dub cast is up, first episode airs tomorrow.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-09/mob-psycho-100-english-dub-stars-kyle-mccarley-chris-niosi/.109721

Kyle McCarley as Shigeo
Chris Niosi as Reigen
Max Mittelman as Ritsu
Michael Sorich as Ekubo
Erik Kimerer as Hanazawa

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

"Ekubo"? They can't just call him Dimple?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

"Ekubo"? They can't just call him Dimple?

This upsets me too but I guess it might be to fit the lip flaps when they say his name?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kirbopher as Reigen? I'll pass on this one, thanks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's an early warning system to remind you not to watch the dub.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
I haven't seen it mentioned here, so in case you missed it the OST is out.

Best music track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A44fDf_qRjY

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Theowulv posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned here, so in case you missed it the OST is out.

Best music track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A44fDf_qRjY

This is bizarrely similar to Bardock's theme.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

Seriously. It's terrible enough to involve him in the show period, but to give him the best character on top of that is just rubbing salt in the wound.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's an early warning system to remind you not to watch the dub.

I'll do it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zaggitz posted:

Y'all fronting like you didn't watch the hell out of his old parody poo poo in 2007.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

*flexes fingers and opens two tabs in browser, one for Google and another playing the Kamen Rider W investigation theme*

Hmm... Kirbopher

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I watched it. I don't know how I feel about the youtube guy voicing Reigen, but I guess it will depend on how well he can do the serious scenes too, but I'm not having high hopes.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Y'all fronting like you didn't watch the hell out of his old parody poo poo in 2007.

The fact that he was on youtube has nothing to do with why people find him objectionable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

The fact that he was on youtube has nothing to do with why people find him objectionable.
God dammit, is he pro GG or something

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

God dammit, is he pro GG or something

I don't remember the specifics, but IIRC he was one of a few e-famous dudes (SuperPsyguy was another one) who were found out to have used their fame to emotionally blackmail and groom teenage girls.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So they got famous and started loving girls

why i never

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I don't remember the specifics, but IIRC he was one of a few e-famous dudes (SuperPsyguy was another one) who were found out to have used their fame to emotionally blackmail and groom teenage girls.
Oh Jesus. Welp, guess I'm sticking with the sub.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you cut off your nose to spite your face every time something comes along with some morally reprehensible person in it, you will never do anything else in your entire life.

For starters, your ISP probably massively overworks and underpays their staff, better unhook the internet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you cut off your nose to spite your face every time something comes along with some morally reprehensible person in it, you will never do anything else in your entire life.

If you can't see why a person such as that being in the dub, let alone a major character, let alone Reigen specifically given his role as a mentor, would turn people off from it, then you must be a true-blue ADTRW-poster.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Except there's a perfectly good version that doesn't involve a creepy rapist? :iiam:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, this is not "gently caress the bank, I'm stuffing my money in a mattress", this is "gently caress the bank, I'm going to a credit union".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Which is fine, but if you don't want to watch things with that dude in because some dude says he's a piece of poo poo, if they recall correctly (not a denial it's true, just means they haven't verified it yet), let the producers of the dub know that rather than just not watching something you would have done and telling a handful of people who can't do anything about it, because that's ultimately spiting yourself.

Genocyber posted:

If you can't see why a person such as that being in the dub, let alone a major character, let alone Reigen specifically given his role as a mentor, would turn people off from it, then you must be a true-blue ADTRW-poster.

Dense

• Locked thread