Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think it's in the tag zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Use the imp discord

Someone shoot me a link I think I'm just in the fighting game one unless there's another one

^^ ah. Thank you

Edit: there is one but it's expired, invite codes are temporary I think

goferchan fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 16, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

Someone shoot me a link I think I'm just in the fighting game one unless there's another one

^^ ah. Thank you

Yeah

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

goferchan posted:

Same.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

It's really draining. Having a wiki open is basically required because the game doesn't really tell you what's going on

it would be a lot better if they just listed the monster resists and weapon trees ingame, but theres pretty much nothing else you have to look up.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

trdaing in 4u today to get gen....sorry old friend

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://discord.gg/gfA47

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

when do you get access to a farm? i tried looking it up and cant find the answer

You have access to it immediately, go to the palico ranch in Bherna, all the way to the right, and it's the weeb cat with the cart. Same deal as Wycoon

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Training posted:

It's really draining. Having a wiki open is basically required because the game doesn't really tell you what's going on

Tbh even getting to the point where a wiki is helpful requires you to be willing to stumble through the game for 5+ hours even if it doesn't feel like it will click, and have a forum or ideally someone you actually know who you can go to with all the questions you'll have. And to really understand any of the movesets you'll have to watch a 10+ minute YouTube tutorial for each one because the game doesn't explain the basic moves very well and straightup doesn't tell you about a lot of the more advanced and useful nuances. There are a ton of minor systems that the game throws at you and explains the basics of using them but not how to do so optimally or why you'd want to do so. It's very rewarding when it clicks but there's a huge barrier to entry and I can't blame someone who doesn't want to get into it.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 16, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Tender Bender posted:

Tbh even getting to the point where a wiki is helpful requires you to be willing to stumble through the game for 5+ hours even if it doesn't feel like it will click, and have a forum or ideally someone you actually know who you can go to with all the questions you'll have. And to really understand any of the movesets you'll have to watch a 10+ minute YouTube tutorial for each one because the game doesn't explain the basic moves very well and straightup doesn't tell you about a lot of the more advanced and useful nuances. There are a ton of minor systems that the game throws at you and explains the basics of using them but not how to do so optimally or why you'd want to do so. It's very rewarding when it clicks but there's a huge barrier to entry and I can't blame someone who doesn't want to get into it.

Absolutely. I'll never criticize someone for not wanting to get into it because the skill floor is so high. They really don't explain anything to you. That being said, it does feel awesome once you get it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thanks, might jump on later today once I clear out some SP stuff

Is everyone online running around in the bulldrome+jaggi set?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Is everyone online running around in the bulldrome+jaggi set?

not me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

There's a (pretty basic and incomplete, but still) combo list for each of the weapons and their style variations in the Hunter's Notes which is a nice touch that I don't think existed in 4U. Honestly even though it still doesn't cover everything there is a SHITLOAD of documentation in the Hunter's Notes section, easily enough info to carry a new player smoothly into High Rank (which is at least a couple dozen hours of gameplay). At that point you kinda need to bust out some charts though because fights start to become balanced around exploiting weaknesses and min-maxing armor/charm skills and taking advantage of affinity and you can't just get away with crafting whatever weapon has the highest raw damage and whatever armor you think looks cool.

Oh also for newcomers or people who didn't play 4U, first thing you should do before even starting the game is go to the DLC menu and download everything available. If it follows the structure of 4U all the DLC will always be free and every couple weeks they'll add new quests and items -- that's where you'll be able to grab all the special Nintendo crossover stuff whenever it launches, too. Included in the DLC now is a newbie "starter pack" that gives you a ton of consumable items (like 99x honey and a bunch of other poo poo) which means you won't have to worry about grinding materials to make potions and stuff for a long time. By the time you burn through those you'll probably have a good enough setup at your Palico ranch that you'll basically never have to gather mats to make recovery items

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah the ingame info teaches you the basic inputs and two or three combos but nearly every weapon has ways to string moves together that aren't explored, or nuances that are just not adequately explained. Like ok I pressed X, forward-X, A, did I do the thing they intended or did I wiff the timing on something, I don't know if this is "upward slash" because it looks a lot like "overhead slash" or whatever. They're definitely getting better though, the super obvious indicators when you guard point or time an adept dodge are great.

Some games let you scroll down an input /combo list and view a video clip of what each move should do when you execute it properly, I think that would be helpful.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 16, 2016

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
griffin mcelroy did a really good 15 minute monster hunter tutorial

the information density is crazy though

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I send gaijinhunter's videos to new players. He's good at explaining the nuances of the different weapons

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

I send gaijinhunter's videos to new players. He's good at explaining the nuances of the different weapons

For sure, dude should be getting paid by Capcom for his service.

I'm not bitching about the game it's just like, there's a large barrier to entry and it's still a niche title in the West so when I try to sell the game to people I make them aware of that. Because I can definitely see how someone would try this and spend ten minutes trying to swat a Jaggi with a great sword and be like "I guess this is one of those dumb janky games that only insane autists like" (it still might be that)

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
competitive catherine win
https://www.twitch.tv/ghoul02

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Tender Bender posted:

For sure, dude should be getting paid by Capcom for his service.

I'm not bitching about the game it's just like, there's a large barrier to entry and it's still a niche title in the West so when I try to sell the game to people I make them aware of that. Because I can definitely see how someone would try this and spend ten minutes trying to swat a Jaggi with a great sword and be like "I guess this is one of those dumb janky games that only insane autists like" (it still might be that)

When I got copy, I had a guy ask me if he should buy it. I told him the series is one of my favorites, and if he wants a challenge, he should pick it up. I also told him to be unafraid to look stuff up because they don't do a good job of explaining anything to you, and to find some friends to play with.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Look at the jam at 1:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfAF_FLEVfA

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i never thought there was much to it. i mean its annoying how a new weapon or something will require a weird mineral/bug and you have to look up where that stuff is, but unless youre going into bowguns all you need to know is hit stuff hard and don't get hit. messing with elemental weapons is completely optional, pure phys weapons will get you through the endgame

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

*hits a monster with the longsword spin and gets a visible anime powerup* what is this doing? this game doesnt tell me anything!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
They brought back Khezu but not Gigginox? Boooo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

*hits a monster with the longsword spin and gets a visible anime powerup* what is this doing? this game doesnt tell me anything!

Well this is a bit reductive. The fact that the game doesn't tell you which quests actually progress the game is completely lame.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Also they once again left the best looking Gen 3 armor out. But that's the only criticisms I have of the game right now, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

Well this is a bit reductive. The fact that the game doesn't tell you which quests actually progress the game is completely lame.

Sometime when you talk to a SP quest giver, she'll drop a hing like "why don't you go show that Cephadrome who's boss" when you're on Village 2. The MP quest girl might do it too? I haven't done much MP yet, I should fix that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Should I finish up 4U or just jump into MHGen. I'm at village 9* on 4U with like Azure Rath and Black Gravios and stuff, because I kept taking hiatuses, but now I have the itch again and the stuff in Gen looks cool as hell.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i fired up 4u today to flex the ol muscle memory and people were still playing so i'd say there will still be some community if you come back later

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't make it all the way through G-Crown so i'll probably go back to 4U someday, can help people get through online if needed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Poolside monster hunter today

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

goferchan posted:

Poolside monster hunter today

you still down for co-op? In like an hour maybe? i'll be on Discord so holla

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

C-Euro posted:

you still down for co-op? In like an hour maybe? i'll be on Discord so holla

I would love to but I ended over at a friend's place, not sure for how long ...... It might be a couple hours but when I get home I will be playing monster hunter and I'll jump in on discord. Also will be off all day tomorrow and down to game if tonight doesn't work out

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

i know its not exactly the same but this just made me think about how its sad that game developers cant make games with loits of secrets in them where you learn things via rumour any more

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

i know its not exactly the same but this just made me think about how its sad that game developers cant make games with loits of secrets in them where you learn things via rumour any more

i understand with the quest stuff because some of the quests are 100% horrible. thankfully the worst ones like fishing and carrying big thing slowly through the entire map are usually the optional ones

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The early "collect 10 Jaggi spleens"-style quests are a bummer and I spend way too long completing them all before realizing that I don't have to do every last one to progress. That said if gathering's got you down then switch to Prowler mode- infinite stamina, infinite pickaxes & bugnets, and you can't use consumables so you can just roll into missions with an empty inventory. good luck trying to fight anything large mons though

trying to jack off posted:

it's sad but that's the internet's fault IMO, outside of big puzzle releases like Fez and The Witness where discovery is the point of playing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah playing as a cat is loving awesome for gathering

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

actually I think most of the things in this thread are hyperbole. its really like maybe 20 mins to figure out how the basics work and try like 4-5 weaps to find one you like. You can wear whatever you want for 2 of the three difficulty modes, and if you play multiplayer you'll learn a bunch just through watching other ppl and trial and error. its one of the most ownage series and i feel like its a false sens e of gatekeeping combined with wanting people to unilaterally love a cherished thing that lead to the idea that MH games are particularly mechanically complex.

i really love the new style mechanics, but I've only tried aerial so far and probably won't even bother trying the others bec ause aerial is so good/moral/engaging.

been mainly using iglaive and sns, but hammer was really good with aerial style and i imagine hunting horn will be as well

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dual blades aerial style is the way theyre meant to be played

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

i decided i would get good for this game and main the great sword in gen. it's been fun so far and aerial style is really effective but really repetitive. glad that there's usually a compelling reason to pick each style for each weapon. except striker glaive lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i playd 40 hours in 3 days lmao, i feels o loving strong

• Locked thread