Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Chapo Trap House is a three man podcast about far left political leanings and ripping into know-nothing journalists. This is more a politics nerd's podcast than people reading the news and riffing on it, so you may not know the people they are talking about but it is still very funny. So far they have had Matt Taibbi, Vic Berger, and others as guests.

Popular episodes: 2,3, 10, 12, 21, 40, 42, 43, 46, 52, 58

Matt said he and Will weren't on Somethingawful but Felix has specifically mentioned reading Somethingawful in the past. PLEASE STOP ASKING.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house
https://twitter.com/chapotraphouse
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=3343736

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The recent episode with Ally Sports Radio as the intro made me giggle like mad.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Which do you love more: justice? Or development?

They've also made a premium episode about the teacher protests in Mexico available for free, so be sure to check that out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Trabisnikof posted:

The recent episode with Ally Sports Radio as the intro made me giggle like mad.

My favorite intro is the Marketplace one from the Taibbi episode, but the Woke Zoo Crew is also great.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
OK, I just Patreon'd them or whatever, is there an easy way to get the premium episodes into my iPhone Podcasts app?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

OK, I just Patreon'd them or whatever, is there an easy way to get the premium episodes into my iPhone Podcasts app?

I don't think so, because those episodes are all hosted on Soundcloud. Probably the best you can do is download them and be able to play them on the Soundcloud app or the non-podcast iTunes app.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I just recently subbed after thinking the Vic Berger ep was going to be premium but was mistaken. Either way, was a wise choice. The premium eps have had some seriously funny content, from David French's hosed up martial situation to Hamilton 2. My favorite premium so far has been the episode they had a guy from Reason.com on and just tore into his faulty libertarian logic. Turns out he actually just fit the "republican but weed" sector.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Because the premium eps are set to private, I don't think they can be opened in the app (at least on iOS)

However, streaming in safari has always worked fine

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I was able to open them in Android on Soundcloud. Odd.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Alright gently caress it I'll pay five bucks to listen to them poo poo on a libertarian live

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

emdash posted:

Because the premium eps are set to private, I don't think they can be opened in the app (at least on iOS)

However, streaming in safari has always worked fine

They also stream directly out of the Patreon app for me on Android (have also have the soundcloud app installed, but I think it's running from an embedded player in the Patreon app).

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i cackle a lot at the podcast but fair warning: if you do not care about people being wrong idiots on twitter it is probably not your bag

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey boy they weren't kidding about the Reason dude interview being pro as hell. I already got my money worth hearing a dude mockingly compare his crazy mad max "TEACHERS ARE BEING BEATEN BY STUDENTS" hyperbole to Rock n Roll High School

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Jared Yates Sexton has gone quickly from guy who live tweeted a Trump rally and was shocked at the anger to a pearl clutching lib crying about people calling Hilary a oval office, as if this a new trend, and he should be recognized by Chapo imo

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/753376485189226496

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Will Menaker sounds like he'd be so bad at fighting. He's very funny though.

ETA: the funniest thing about the show so far has been the unhinged hatred for it from Twitter Tankies denouncing it as CIA psy-op and fascist propaganda.

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 14, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't think so, because those episodes are all hosted on Soundcloud. Probably the best you can do is download them and be able to play them on the Soundcloud app or the non-podcast iTunes app.

Sucks that soundcloud charges $10/mo for the ability to cache files through the app - that's basically the only reason I haven't backed them on Patreon yet. I pretty much always listen in the car or on the subway and as much as I love this podcast, I can't really justify eating up ~500mb of mobile data every month to hear extra episodes.

GalacticAcid posted:

ETA: the funniest thing about the show so far has been the unhinged hatred for it from Twitter Tankies denouncing it as CIA psy-op and fascist propaganda.

So much this. I crack up every time they mention it or repost some insane medium post about it.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Hulk Krogan posted:

So much this. I crack up every time they mention it or repost some insane medium post about it.

Link?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://medium.com/@Master_Trope/chapo-trap-house-sucks-lol-f46bc1ac1cb3

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm glad someone else found it because I'm helpless when it comes to searching twitter for old poo poo, but yeah - there was a week or two where a few pieces and twitter threads like the one Joementum posted popped up and the Chapo guys were tweeting them out.

Edit: Also I'm a dope and didn't realize you could just download soundcloud streams as m4a files so yeah - if you want to listen to the premium episodes without using data and you don't mind not having normal playlist controls, there ya go.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This is the best podcast that itunes is producing. Very good and smart and reason you don't need twitter.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr Hootington posted:

and reason you don't need twitter.

Whoa poo poo, really? I can't even imagine listening without at least some knowledge of the various weirdo Twitter tropes and personalities that they rag on perpetually.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Whoa poo poo, really? I can't even imagine listening without at least some knowledge of the various weirdo Twitter tropes and personalities that they rag on perpetually.

between SA and Chapo you don't.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

GalacticAcid posted:

they brought me to this account and i am grateful https://twitter.com/ralphdouthat

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr Hootington posted:

between SA and Chapo you don't.

Makes sense. I've been thinking about deleting my Twitter account again, so that would be a decent combo to get the highlights.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CortezFantastic posted:

they brought me to this account and i am grateful https://twitter.com/ralphdouthat

Love that boy

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Makes sense. I've been thinking about deleting my Twitter account again, so that would be a decent combo to get the highlights.

cool. glad a spot is opening up for mine. thanks man

edit: too lazy to update paypal to get some extra boys. and you know Cum town the show they promote? it is hot garbage.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Does Dan MacLaughlin actually speak in some weird falsetto or is that a feature unique to billiards fool?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Derek Davison interview on the Iran Deal and broader ME-facing foreign policy was pretty incredible.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They're pretty funny and definitely well-read on the entire political/intellectual/media class circlejerk, although at times the railing against American centrist libs is a bit less fun. I mean don't get me wrong, there's plenty there to go after about the Democrats and many prominent American liberals being ineffective pro-business shills, but it does sound a little "People's Front of Judea" to listen to. Worth it to hear them go deep on racial phrenology and incel interpretations of Lex Luthor.

Seriously though, the stuff they dig up in their reading sections is stunning. I don't know how some of these guys they profile have jobs with some of the things they've willingly admitted to in print. Jesus, that Charles Murray bit where he vehemently defends visiting prostitutes in south-east asia as seducing "ladies of the evening" while working for a think-tank dreaming up ways to terrorize villages into submission.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

GalacticAcid posted:

Will Menaker sounds like he'd be so bad at fighting. He's very funny though.

Actually I think you'll find that Will is a stone cold 100% super badass killer man. Because he understands SUCCESS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYZSJg9xRK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqXuT2ecA-c

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

yatt mglesias

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dolash posted:

They're pretty funny and definitely well-read on the entire political/intellectual/media class circlejerk, although at times the railing against American centrist libs is a bit less fun. I mean don't get me wrong, there's plenty there to go after about the Democrats and many prominent American liberals being ineffective pro-business shills, but it does sound a little "People's Front of Judea" to listen to. Worth it to hear them go deep on racial phrenology and incel interpretations of Lex Luthor.

Seriously though, the stuff they dig up in their reading sections is stunning. I don't know how some of these guys they profile have jobs with some of the things they've willingly admitted to in print. Jesus, that Charles Murray bit where he vehemently defends visiting prostitutes in south-east asia as seducing "ladies of the evening" while working for a think-tank dreaming up ways to terrorize villages into submission.

Pretty much this, they're really good about balancing out their 'yes, we get it you're the most progressive boys in the country and everyone else is a shill' stuff with waaaay more 'but no for real what is WRONG with this person'. Like, they fully understand that part of being 'radical' left means you're in the vast minority even for your audience, so they keep things actually entertaining and focused on things pretty much every left winger can agree on for the vast majority.

Plus they tend to at least be funny when they go all 'further left than thou' so it's hard to get too annoyed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I'll grant they've definitely got enough self-awareness to keep any leftist circular firing squad stuff mostly in check. I was leery when they did an interview with that guy from Jacobin but it was pretty much fine.

Also that was absolutely not my mental image of Will.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mr Hootington posted:

cool. glad a spot is opening up for mine. thanks man

edit: too lazy to update paypal to get some extra boys. and you know Cum town the show they promote? it is hot garbage.

Yeah, I tried a couple episodes of Cum Town and holy hell it's bad. At first I thought they were doing a schtick trying to make it as horrible as possible, and it was kind of funny, but then I had the slow dawning realization that they weren't being ironic, and really are that loving stupid and unfunny.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dolash posted:

Yeah, I'll grant they've definitely got enough self-awareness to keep any leftist circular firing squad stuff mostly in check.

Hahaha no, at least not on twitter.
Don't read leftie twitter and twitter in general.

The podcast is good.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, I tried a couple episodes of Cum Town and holy hell it's bad. At first I thought they were doing a schtick trying to make it as horrible as possible, and it was kind of funny, but then I had the slow dawning realization that they weren't being ironic, and really are that loving stupid and unfunny.

I think it's okay when they aren't doing dumb characters. That whole Dr. Evil/Woke Bastard/Autism Powers bit had me thinking "How many layers of irony is this? Whatever it is it's comedic poison."

That said Felix Biederman's other podcast The Scumbag! is pretty great and probably even better than Chapo.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I wouldn't say better, but it's good if you wanna have Felix on a setting that doesn't have him goaded to being negative on folk all the time. (Go to their piece on Anil Dash and Prince, then go to the 4th Scumbag episode aaaarooooound the time he starts talking about Old_Gaes to see what I mean). If you wanna have snappy Felix, Chapo. If you wanna have kind but still snappy Felix, Scumbag. Maybe except the Ron Fournier segment on the 12th ep and the MMA exchange on the latest one. Maybe that was why I particularly enjoyed those?

I do think the Gawker piece they mentioned on the MexicanAnarchist episode was an AdequateMan piece, so it wasn't a "Here's how to logically own your racist uncle" and more a "Here's how to manage him so that his presence doesn't sour for everyone, including him, your 4th of July festivity" piece. So Matt's rant and subsequent followup was either really dumb or really appropriate given the content of said piece.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 14, 2016

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Kunster posted:

I wouldn't say better, but it's good if you wanna have Felix on a setting that doesn't have him goaded to being negative on folk all the time. (Go to their piece on Anil Dash and Prince, then go to the 4th Scumbag episode aaaarooooound the time he starts talking about Old_Gaes to see what I mean). If you wanna have snappy Felix, Chapo. If you wanna have kind but still snappy Felix, Scumbag. Maybe except the Ron Fournier segment on the 12th ep and the MMA exchange on the latest one. Maybe that was why I particularly enjoyed those?

I do think the Gawker piece they mentioned on the MexicanAnarchist episode was an AdequateMan piece, so it wasn't a "Here's how to logically own your racist uncle" and more a "Here's how to manage him so that his presence doesn't sour for everyone, including him, your 4th of July festivity" piece. So Matt's rant and subsequent followup was either really dumb or really appropriate given the content of said piece.

Matt seemed to imply that his relatives go out of their way to piss him off, so he'd find the idea of "how to manage them" absurb/stupid. Or just the idea of trying to manage someone who's going to spout out horrendously racist poo poo stupid anyway

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah I gathered that much, I meant in response to a bit earlier when they bring on the psychological profile of the kind that writes those as being this logic obsessive dork that would be anxiously crushed at the mere idea of disagreement and not someone trying to make to soothe the situation so they have said party in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Thaddius the Large posted:

i saw it was produced in Anthony Cumia's studio and pass