Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

the gently caress is wrong with you people who didn't like the David cross interview on cum town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

i figured out why cum town isn't funny to me. i'm not a 34 year old burnout who hasdone drugs consistently since the age of 14 when i started huffing spray paint.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

the gently caress is wrong with you people who didn't like the David cross interview on cum town

I only tried the first few minutes of that one and a previous ep, but it seemed like a huge waste of my time, so I turned it off.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Mr Hootington posted:

i figured out why cum town isn't funny to me. i'm not a 34 year old burnout who hasdone drugs consistently since the age of 14 when i started huffing spray paint.

You look like a narc.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Mr Hootington posted:

lots of baseball cranks in here

i only tweeted to baseball crank once and he subtweeted me and didn't block so i consider it the top of my twitter game

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

I only tried the first few minutes of that one and a previous ep, but it seemed like a huge waste of my time, so I turned it off.

i was not on board during the pre-interview segment, mostly because one dude is way off mic and barely audible and the other dude is too loud and the one at the right volume has a really annoying laugh. but i thought the interview itself was great.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
New chapo interview in paste https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/07/chapo-trap-house-are-the-vulgar-brilliant-demigods.html

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

You've posted like a Bernout before though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Oh hey I'm friends with the person that did that illustration! It's awesome to see her work show up in a wider context than twitter.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This podcast has taught me to hate the gulenist dog and what a tankie is and has truly enriched my life.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Okonner posted:

You've posted like a Bernout before though.

probably why i really connect with the trap house

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Who are all these weird Twitter folks I now need to follow?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Who are all these weird Twitter folks I now need to follow?

@dril is the "iconic" one, and his list of follows won't steer you wrong. @dasharez0ne is great

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is this podcast just three dudes saying "cum" a lot as rebellion against the PC police, because that's what this interview makes it seem like

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Is this podcast just three dudes saying "cum" a lot as rebellion against the PC police, because that's what this interview makes it seem like

Yes.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes, but it's three smart dudes making cum jokes along with layered Marxist references. Imagine clerks if all the characters were poli sci grad students hanging around a lovely apartment playing UFC games on Xbox.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I have bones with how the podcast is framed on that article. I'm going to quote another piece that I found out thru the Chapo twitter account to showcase said bone:

quote:

In the very first episode of Chapo, Matt Christman criticizes viewers of shows like The Daily Show or Last Week Tonight for their reliance on catharsis, for the fact that watching these shows and seeing ideological opponents skewered (think of every Monday morning Slate headline about some conservative politician being “eviscerated” by John Oliver) provides a vicarious charge of having won another victory over the forces of unreason. Catharsis, Christman says flatly, is bad. Politics (especially, I would say, leftist politics) is a long, slow, difficult process that requires an incredible investment of energy. Each time a viewer sits down to another episode of one of those shows, Christman says, that energy is essentially dissipated in a righteous feeling of victory, the problem being of course that this “victory” has no material force in the world. Feeling like you’ve got the better point doesn’t actually win political change in any tangible way; it’s only through action that your ideas become reality.

I happen to agree with Christman. But where does that leave the Chapo listener? Aren’t we as susceptible to such a critique? Isn’t Chapo also helping to dissipate that energy?

Said piece then elaborates on the differences, but still somewhat warns that this could become a leftist equivalent of the Daily Show, getting catapulted into this position of leader of a movement mostly lead on catharsis. The Pastel Magazines article frames them already as demigods, with the Chapo Boys somewhat being aware that they're getting dragged into that position and somewhat trying to dispel that don't want to become that. On the other hand, there's an understandable embrace that a lot of their viewers do thank them for having an avenue where they can bonk at the current status and can become terrifying if "I would like to thank you guys for having something that makes my day brighter" to "Can you like, tell MurderBryan to look the other way while you guys do a Rally For The Chapist Righteous Ownage?" or some poo poo. Don't wanna see them get Peter Principled into that kind of position.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's a good critique but I think Chapo's a lot less glib. There's catharsis in stuff like the terrible readings, but when they talk about how the people who planned and sold the iraq war will never be punished for their crimes, it doesn't leave you feeling fulfilled.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Finally took the plunge for Premium Chapo, and the Reign Over Me review was completely worth it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Badger of Basra posted:

It's actually three dudes saying "cum" to support investigating the lies of the Armenian Genocide.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oh my god Matt Christman's Philly accent is terrible lmao he just sounds like a chav

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's actually three dudes saying "cum" to support investigating the lies of the Armenian Genocide.

Also fascism in Turkey, don't forget that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I Before E posted:

Also fascism in Turkey, don't forget that.

Think you mean social justice and development, friend.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Think you mean social justice and development, friend.

Perhaps the truth is in the middle of our two phrasings. Love That Ron.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Love that ron

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I don't know how they could have gotten the sound quality worse, but the boys did it.

Good episode though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

emdash posted:

@dril is the "iconic" one, and his list of follows won't steer you wrong. @dasharez0ne is great

Sometimes I wonder how differently things might have turned out for this site if it had catered to the weird twitter people instead of driving them away.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Matt calling people marks and jabronis would have really made the episode less dour

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 2, 2016

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Sometimes I wonder how differently things might have turned out for this site if it had catered to the weird twitter people instead of driving them away.

these forums are very good at attracting a handful of very funny, talented people and driving them away shortly before they monetize their work

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Former goon Wood Thrush/current tweeter Hermit Thrush gets a letter in this week.

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

Corek posted:

Former goon Wood Thrush/current tweeter Hermit Thrush gets a letter in this week.

I don't think that was thrush. Unless he's operating on a level of irony that's beyond my comprehension I doubt thrush would write something that aggressive.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I was not expecting the announcement of the Chapo Media Empire©™ even though it makes perfect sense. I see even Chapo cannot escape constant need for growth inherent in capitalism.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the live show recording is out now

these alex jones impersonations :swoon:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/761302656501616644

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

Love that boy.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
is that a machete?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

what is that in reference to

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Felix's review of Suicide Squad is some good poo poo. http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/suicide-squad-is-the-summers-best-movie-about-divorce-1784871078

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

what is that in reference to

A comedian made some dumb jokes on Twitter about supporting Hillary Clinton having people killed. People got pissed her mentions blew up, and then she posted a selfie with text on it like that saying that she's not quitting twitter but will have an intern run it for her for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Yes it is

quote:

While unsure what type of film it is, Suicide Squad has a defined center. On the surface, it explores a truth about all men: We are at once terrified of the Joker and horny for Margot Robbie. Past this, though, are two subjects closer to my heart—racial science and family court.