Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

When they send the actual nazis in was a cool moment

I thought it was bad when they showed up because they were up to no good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I boo'd at the villains on the screen

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'll admit I was confused at first too, oh here's the cops and what they're evil?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

net work error posted:

The First Purge was good. I remember Matt calling the movie a Maoist tale and I agree very much.

This episode really needed Matt. Hope we get him back. Even if it’s just in a captain pike chair with blinking lights.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Matt IS going to die one day. Are you prepared?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
can we admit that ex machina was garbage too?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Automata 10 Pack posted:

movie with great visuals and vibes making the most boring and trite story decisions possible (wow!!! misogynistic elon musk guy is a serial killer of sex robots!) yeah sounds familiar.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 27, 2024

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I liked annihilation quite a bit, but I’m afraid to see it again on the chance I’m just misremembering it. His other movies (and devs) all look very good but are pretty middling otherwise

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

No. Call me cringe, but I'm not a big fan of death.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I liked annihilation quite a bit, but I’m afraid to see it again on the chance I’m just misremembering it. His other movies (and devs) all look very good but are pretty middling otherwise
nah annihilation is good because the pretentiousness is all subtextual, and up to the viewer to interpret or ignore while they enjoy a very cool and creepy sci-fin action horror with an AMAZING art direction.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Despite what that one guest they had on a couple times has said, dying ftl.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Pretty psyched for my own date with death. Be bummed if Matt beat me there

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

A24 Lady Ghostbusters

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I only watched ex machina once but I did like the end and the idea that the Nice Guy main character was as bad as the villain

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

A24 Lady Ghostbusters

the l3itch

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
ex machina is funny, the nice guy doesn't get laid and gets locked in a closet left to die

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Yeah

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If he were really the nicest guy, he’d lock himself in the closet and just blame her for it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!
I don’t mind Garland, his movies are at least trying

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

well why not posted:

Trying my patience!

No but seriously folks.

His movies are good to very good, the man himself appears to be insufferable centrist, but it's midwit as hell to care about an author's intent

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't want to know any opinion from any author I love, unless they're curmudgeon or pisstakers like Welles.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It’s funny how the A24 marketing tried to position it as like, the smart version of the Purge movies and instead it’s actually the dumb version of the Purge movies.

Boogeyman is my own personal fingernail painted sniper, canoeing bad media

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

well why not posted:

I didn't mind him either until this movie. Haven't seen Men though, was that good?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I didn't mind him either until this movie. Haven't seen Men though, was that good?

Yeah it's cool, and almost every critic hated it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it's cool, and almost every critic hated it

per rotten tomatoes, about 70% of critics gave it a positive review. it was mostly audiences that hated it.

Civil War is predictably doing pretty well with critics, as it's a movie that views working for a newspaper as the most noble thing you can do.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 29, 2024

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

men was pretty good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Civil War is predictably doing pretty well with critics, as it's a movie that views working for a newspaper as the most noble thing you can do.

This seems to be what the Chapos took away from it as well, which is truly baffling to me. All the main characters are absolute pieces of poo poo and their mission is textually pointless.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

All the main characters are absolute pieces of poo poo and their mission is textually pointless.

which is a great microcosm for the film as a whole, when you think about it

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Men was solid and Ex Machina kicked off my personal infatuation with Oscar Isaac so both good imo

I wanted to see Civil War but either here or in some other thread I saw someone mention that they thank andy ngo in the credits potentially because they used his footage? And i outed myself as an internet poisoned person by mentioning this at a party last night when someone asked why I had reservations about seeing it :eng99:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I will say this for Leave The World Behind in comparison: it doesn't try to construct a plausible future scenario, it knows that it's all about the confusion and uncertainty the main characters are feeling. Too bad it's mostly just loving boring! I'd much rather see Ron Swanson get canoed.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Automata 10 Pack posted:

nah annihilation is good because the pretentiousness is all subtextual, and up to the viewer to interpret or ignore while they enjoy a very cool and creepy sci-fin action horror with an AMAZING art direction.
if you take Annihilation (which I really loved) as a metaphor for cancer I think it's a lot more straightforward than pretentious, though I don't know if watching it that way makes it better or worse.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The first half of Men was awesome and creepy and it kinda goes completely off the rails at the end but I appreciated the audacity of what they were trying to portray (a man continuously giving birth to himself out of his own butt)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The end of Annihilation rules because it just turns into a prog rock album cover.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Garland, to me, feels on level with most of Villeneuve's work. Really beautiful and evocative movies with a pretty weak script. I'll still eat that trash.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

This seems to be what the Chapos took away from it as well, which is truly baffling to me. All the main characters are absolute pieces of poo poo and their mission is textually pointless.

That seems to be the confusion in general, since that's what Garland has been saying the message is, or that seems to be what he's pushing in interviews. My impression is that it's like a Sicario where you watch the movie, read what the writer wanted it to be, and you're just scratching your head.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So I don't have to look up a bunch of interviews, what did Taylor Sheridan intend vs. what's onscreen?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Halloween Jack posted:

I will say this for Leave The World Behind in comparison: it doesn't try to construct a plausible future scenario, it knows that it's all about the confusion and uncertainty the main characters are feeling. Too bad it's mostly just loving boring! I'd much rather see Ron Swanson get canoed.

LTWB seemed to have a pretty good idea of how to make an image uncanny and creepy without actually bothering to put anything uncanny or creepy in the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

So I don't have to look up a bunch of interviews, what did Taylor Sheridan intend vs. what's onscreen?

I'd have to go digging too since it's been too long, but the first Sicario seemed like kind of a clever thriller that was poking at American bullshit a bit and sort of interesting. Military dudes "making hard choices" are actually just too cowardly and lazy to commit to boring, non-glamorous anti-organized crime stuff and they're just making things worse in the long run to feel like they're doing something. Military dudes are just assholes in general. They push a black man to the ground and call him boy (I think) and tell the hero white lady to "just let it happen" when the climax for the movie kicks off. There's a lot of uncomfortable stuff in general that felt intentional. The action plays the cartel up as this huge threat but the military guys are clearly never at risk and the big scary raid is 90% them blasting unsuspecting people. That kind of stuff, basically. Seemed like a very intentional thing.

Then you get Sicario 2 and interviews and it's like, oh, no it's just supposed to be hard men making hard choices and that we just need to go harder because the cartels are just pure evil that needs to be snuffed out. And we'll do a little, "but were we right?" naval gazing to feel important and cover it up a bit. Okay. I think this is the quote I was thinking of, with Sheridan explaining why Blunt wasn't coming back.

quote:

“Look what she went through,” Sheridan continued. “It was a difficult role. Here I write this lead character and then I use her as a surrogate for the audience. I make her completely passive against her own will so the audience feels the same impotence that a lot of law enforcement officers feel, I drag her through hell, and betray her in the end. It was an arduous journey for the character, and for Emily. That character had arc.”

I thought there was an extra line in there doubling down that the point was that cops were impotent to affect real change because the system tied their hands, or something like that. But yeah, weird whiplash halfway through that one.

Thinking about it, I guess it's like what I heard about Yellowstone. Where the writing follows the pattern of the heroes being awful people/anti-heroes but you always have the background mood that Sheridan thinks they're cool and right. :shrug:

I don't know, might just be me being dumb as hell but the dropoff from Sicario 1 to 2 bummed me out a lot. Felt bad.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 29, 2024