Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

This seems to be what the Chapos took away from it as well, which is truly baffling to me. All the main characters are absolute pieces of poo poo and their mission is textually pointless.

All of the characters being pieces of poo poo and their mission being pointless kinda doesn’t really change that it’s still what the movie is trying to be about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Penisio del Toro in `Suckhardio`

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

The REAL Goobusters posted:

All of the characters being pieces of poo poo and their mission being pointless kinda doesn’t really change that it’s still what the movie is trying to be about

Movies don't think, act, or intend

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kazzah posted:

Movies don't think, act, or intend

Maybe your movies don't

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

KoRMaK posted:

Penisio del Toro in `Suckhardio`

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Famethrowa posted:

Garland, to me, feels on level with most of Villeneuve's work. Really beautiful and evocative movies with a pretty weak script. I'll still eat that trash.
Yup.

Civil War looks like slop though.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
That second Kristi Noem story isn't even from her book. It's from a Jerry Falwell memoir.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The_Rob posted:

The end of Annihilation rules because it just turns into a prog rock album cover.

That's really the only way to end that story. The book takes a more grounded approach (though still pretty weird) that doesn't land as well as the movie.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

This is the second time I've heard the cat cooking story and I can absolutely picture the kind of country rear end psychos that would think such a thing constituted a joke and not something you go to jail over. And they're small business owners.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

That's really the only way to end that story. The book takes a more grounded approach (though still pretty weird) that doesn't land as well as the movie.
i like the book’s ending because after a long build up, it concludes with an autistic person seeing a lovecraftian horror and instead of going insane they think “well if I can’t comprehend it, or scientifically measure it, then what’s the point of witnessing this thing anyways?” and walking away.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 1, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Automata 10 Pack posted:

i like the book’s ending because after a long build up, it concludes with an autistic person seeing a lovecraftian horror and instead of going insane they think “well if I can’t comprehend it, or scientifically measure it, then what’s the point of witnessing this thing anyways?” and walking away.

lmao wtf

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/Lowenaffchen/status/1785493915778310197?t=ZEnvaIx5USQWQfWU3n3KIA&s=19

Recent guest commits a murder

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmfao.

He makes a strong case for semi-permanent Matt replacement. Really more of a Virgil ( :ssh: ) replacement

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well, they did mention having to shoot a goat who had gotten old and annoying...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lol Alex never holds back online

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean if anyone deserves that it’s Judy Miller

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Did YOUR reporting lead to the deaths of over 200,000 civilians???? Yea didn’t think so, bud. :smug:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Insane Ralph Machio/Steven Vai erasure in the new MM episode

Danger fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 1, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'll listen to Hell of Presidens through a 4th time before I listen to any of that bad movie take zone

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

movie mindset is fine

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Movie Mindset win.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

MMs are 100x better than the regular eps because a) Hesse and b) Will is actually interested in the subject matter. hard to listen to recent eps where he runs down the list of twitter trending topics for mid riffs with a guest and an almost fully checked-out Felix. they should just do movies and airplanes or whatever Felix is into at the moment until Matt comes back, because these are pretty rough.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the problem with MM is while i might enjoy listening to a podcast about a movie, i sure as poo poo am not gonna do homework to listen to a podcast.

and i have seen literally 0 of the movies for this entire season, so yeah im skipping it

hesse rules though and should be on the show all the time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlejMy9zLdI

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I wouldn't blame them if they just ended it until(if/when) Matt gets back, but then I guess that sweet sweet patron money would stop flowing. Hard to get more checked out than "welp I'm outta stuff to talk about, laters"

I like MM because I like movies but haven't had time to watch many these past couple years and Will and Hesse talk like I used to when I watched more movies. ~Memories of a more carefree time~

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the problem with MM is while i might enjoy listening to a podcast about a movie, i sure as poo poo am not gonna do homework to listen to a podcast.

and i have seen literally 0 of the movies for this entire season, so yeah im skipping it

I don't think they're really necessary to watch before you listen but I respect the position

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you should watch the movies because they rule. their curation is one of the best I've seen. lots of lowbrow and highbrow stuff which makes it a fun experience

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
MM is good.
I like the fact I haven't seen almost any of these movies.
Mainly cause I probably never would watch any of these if not for MM.

Hesse owns

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 1, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The show is still good and I’ll never understand why some of you still listen. Clearly hate this podcast every single week lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The show is still good and I’ll never understand why some of you still listen. Clearly hate this podcast every single week lol

I like most episodes (and MM), but this latest one was undeniably lazy

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It's still "fine", I certainly don't hate it. It's entertaining. I don't think it's that controversial to say they're not exactly firing on all cylinders recently, for perfectly understandable reasons.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's a weekly Pod Cast that is my light entertainment when I walk my dog. It's not that serious.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Famethrowa posted:

it's a weekly Pod Cast that is my light entertainment when I walk my dog. It's not that serious.

Pretty much this. The majority of their takes are lame and/or just plain wrong, but occasionally they'll hit on a rich comedy vein and have me lol'ing (and then I'll steal those takes for conversation with my less irony-poisoned friends). And Hell of Presidents is insanely good.

It's what $5 a month? Not something I notice either way, and I'm happy to contribute in part to the rehab fund for our MVP, the Big Balding Boy, the Christ-Man

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I don't hate the podcast, I just recognize that it's a stool missing a leg. Will, Felix, and Matt are a pretty great mix of personalities for the format, and without Christman the eps are clearly missing a structural component and really live and die on the strength of the guest. The sort of news of the day/reading series ones worked in the past because usually there'd be something to set Matt off on some passionate rant and/or insightful analysis, Will is good at reining it in so it remains accessible and doesn't become a psychadelic cushbomb, and Felix is really good at riffing off that high energy sort of thing, which also keeps the tone of the show, especially when it grapples with fraught subject matter. Now unless they have a guest that is willing and knowledgeable enough to dive in on something it's drive by riffing until the hour is up, which is fine, I listen to other podcasts like that, but it's not what made CTH special.

also,

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's what $5 a month? Not something I notice either way, and I'm happy to contribute in part to the rehab fund for our MVP, the Big Balding Boy, the Christ-Man

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Whatever. I'll still keep drinking that garbage

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pretty much this. The majority of their takes are lame and/or just plain wrong, but occasionally they'll hit on a rich comedy vein and have me lol'ing (and then I'll steal those takes for conversation with my less irony-poisoned friends). And Hell of Presidents is insanely good.

I found the most deranged listener possible.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The podcast is fine

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I found the most deranged listener possible.

Lol. They're not your friends man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

They're all my friends