Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I feel it's kind of a cop out when they both juggle on how it's necessary since it gave a voice to an otherwise unheard and neglected fraction of the population, but also if you say anything about it its just this parasocial malapropism putting too much into the shoulders of just 5 guys and gal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

You can push a little bit in an interview without raking them over the coals or whatever.

Yeah, at most if one's worried about destroying one's reputation, you could coach that in a "Well, on our networks\friend circles\ recent interviews it was stated otherwise because of This And That, could you address that." I know I sound like a broken record about this, but Benjamin Fogel's interview vs Glenn's interview regarding brazilian anti-corruption crusades that lead to Dilma and Lula's downfall. Both are considered to be authorities on it, but yet you have the earlier admit at the start they were completely cynical about it, while the latter in a way humanized the concerns, talking on how beloved Moro was and afterwards, Bolso were towards it. I think at least a "Wait, we've talked to other figures from there and they say otherwise."

I think if Lula himself can do this:

quote:

G: In the interview that we did in 2016, you harshly criticized Operation Car Wash, insisting that it was selective and an operation dedicated to destroying PT — as you said just now. But Operation Car Wash went on to imprison Eduardo Cunha, who led the impeachment process against Dilma, and also Michel Temer, who became president after Dilma’s impeachment (though he’s been released, he then went back, was released again, but at least he’s on trial), and also Sérgio Cabral, the governor of the state of Rio de Janeiro. And now they’re aggressively going after Aécio Neves, Dilma’s center-right opponent in 2014. After all this, can you really say that Operation Car Wash was launched to destroy PT?

L:Glenn, let me tell you something: Operation Car Wash has been selective most of the time it’s been running. You’re a foreign journalist, so you can investigate impartially. Check out who made donations to PSDB [the Brazilian Social Democracy Party], and who made donations to PT. How much did PSDB receive, and how much did PT receive? And what about other parties? Conduct a thorough study, an impartial one, and figure out why only [João] Vaccari of PT was sentenced for campaign finances. What about the other treasurers from the other parties??

G:But isn’t Aécio on trial?

L: But Aécio isn’t a campaign treasurer. I’m talking about campaign finances to show you that there’s been a focus on going after PT from the outset. Why? Because they needed to take out PT from the government, and since they didn’t manage to do so over the course of nearly four elections, they needed to create clear ways to stir up hatred of PT. Historically in Brazil, and I think the whole world over, this kind of loathing increases once you accuse someone of corruption.

Listen, let me be crystal clear: I think if someone steals, they should go to jail, whether they’re PT or not, whether they’re Catholic or evangelical, you know? You steal, you go to jail. If the sentence has been pronounced, if the facts have been established, and if it’s been proven that you stole, you must go to jail. This is the kind of lawful state we want to establish. Now, I want to challenge the people who imprisioned me to show the world a single shred of evidence against me. I’m not asking for anything else.

G: But do you agree that Operation Car Wash is going after other politicians, including your opponents from the center-right?

L: Glenn, Operation Car Wash has been gradually changing into a political operation that benefits whoever participates in it. I’ll give you a tip-off here, a bit of whistleblowing that you can help investigate: Not long ago, we found out that there was an agreement made by the U.S. Department of Justice with what Dallagnol was handling for the Federal Public Ministry, for Operation Car Wash, to the tune of $600 million.

G: From the U.S.?

L: From the U.S. And afterwards, it surfaced that Sérgio Moro had authorized another agreement to the tune of $1.6 billion from Odebrecht, here in Brazil. We also know that there are other monetary agreements funding Operation Car Wash, but right now we don’t have access to the figures. In fact, PT is demanding that the leader of the House of Representatives get the Federal Savings Bank involved to help us find out who’s made agreements with Operation Car Wash. Because in fact, any time someone makes an agreement like this involving hundreds of millions of dollars, they’re trying to build a political machine, they’re setting up a racket..

G: All right, well, I promise you that we’re working on these issues, and investigating these …

L: Just let me finish, Glenn, I don’t want to stop in the middle of saying …

G: Go ahead.

L: The only thing I really want, the only thing, is that my case be judged objectively. I don’t want anything else. I want the judges at some point to care about having hard evidence, either from the side of the prosecution or from the defendants. Did you know I had 73 witnesses but that Dallagnol didn’t even show up to the hearings? He made up that deceitful PowerPoint presentation and then vanished. The only person he talks to is Miriam Leitão from Rede Globo news, and once in a while, he grants an interview. He’s probably going around now on lecture tours to make money. Anyway, I don’t want his beliefs to be the last word. I want evidence to be the last word. If he can prove that I own what he says I own, that shouldn’t cost him anything. In the meantime, I’ve been completely demoralized in the face of public opinion.

You can read (or listen) that interview, and it was clear neither came from it tending to wounds or whatever, but it was still a sticking point that needed to be addressed.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This is definitely on the same level as someone liking a movie, good point

Oh it was over their general "we don't really confront our guests over stuff" thing, not whenever or not they like some movie or not.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

while that's entirely possible it's also possible that even spoiled rich kids can outgrow the lovely people they were in high school

I would imagine that recovery rate is inversely proportionate to wealth though

Given he was the main impetus for the "WHITE WORKING CLASS!!!!11" stuff that bled thru every single post-Trump discussion until it percolated into liberal magazines, suddenly realizing that kind of upbringing makes sense.

I wouldn't call him an op tho.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Slanderer posted:

lmao Glenn Greenwald totally called it wrt to the "age gap" debacle being an op

At least I was glad that he didn't rev it up so hard that he would end up trying to gather other people arguing that point in bad favor and wouldn't end up buying Yascha Mounk's attempt at bringing it up to cover his support of Anez's coup. I'll confess to being somewhat trusting of those accusations as I've never heard of either but also did witness similar things where that stuff did happen.

But given that Chapo and Ben Mora at least waited to see where all of this went, yeah they're way more cautious about stuff like this these days.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The "What is this wacky foreigner even saying?" poo poo is honestly getting kind of old.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

... Even to stuff that is pertinent to the pod itself or said subject matters? I mean I get that not everyone is up and up, but I've seen this being pulled on stuff that was discussed almost the last page or on the same feed.

You can see Greenwald tell off Yascha Mounk who was bringing up the Alex Norris case on his feed in an attempt to quench the wave of people screaming at him over his Bolivia coup support.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ooh, hmm yeah I get it now.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I don't get it either, as manual transmission seems to be the norm in Europe.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

it's not just grifters they do it with. For example They talk a lot about the Hillary Associates in a similar manner, especially in comparison to the Obama worms.

And also making Joe Biden this somewhat endearing bumbling cartoon figure.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Amber does have the worst takes of any of them but as we've seen in this thread people will just invent poo poo to get mad about.

She also happens to be the most experienced on activism and the one with the biggest amount of writing attributed to her as both a media figure outside of Chapo and as an authority on talking about several political disciplines.

And in a way that also means there's more stuff from her that isn't just the pod and stream appearances to judge her on, media where she has the chance to be far, far more deliberate on her own expression than just "microphone and camera put straight to her face". If every other Chapo was as prolific as her, I'd certainly understand the people defending with "Well, other Chapos do have as hosed up takes, clearly it's secret misogyny driving that". I don't know if I said this before, but I can go to a fancy bookstore in Lisbon and pick up a book where her writing is there, translated to Português. The closest thing I can get to someone else is Rui Tavares somewhat reiterating Felix's Biden thesis of people wanting a restart button, even if he puts the time to 2000 and not 2008, and frames it more as exhaustion than posts about G4TV and Jackass.

Mr. Lobe posted:

A more fair countercriticism, I think, should be that there (and in other instances) the chapos tend to come up short when it comes to presenting alternative strategies along with their critiques.

Probably where the bad faith reading comes from. There's a point where you have to provide an actual alternative rather than smirking and saying "Well, that's shitlib talk, be more normal in the head, thanks" and sauntering off into the distance.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 26, 2020

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

papa horny michael posted:

Amber going long was great because I've been tiring of felix's constant references to the same things for the past entire run

"Felix, this is the 11th week in a row you've shown "Joe Biden Is Too Endearing And Aloof, Also It Might Bring Back 2007" in the Pooooooood!"

"This one is Different! I have replaced The Endearing Old Man with huuuh Xavier Renegade Angel!"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think something I see on a bunch on online media stuff, that people can see just "get groceries" or "interact with people while getting groceries" as these alien things that sound like one is trying to do to come across as normal and relatable.

Like, a few weeks ago there was this big youtube video with a talking head criticizing those North Korea vlogs and they center specifically on one involving a grocery store where the host finds a kid in the street and just starts talking a lot asking his life is doing and what he does and the host tries to pin this as something that no one does ever. Maybe it's because I live next to a retirement home \ social services institution, but there will be old people there who will try to chat up with you in a very similar way. And that's far, far away from Matt Christman's wheel house.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

What is that weird food they were talking about where you have to cover yourself up while eating it?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That's specially weird as Matt Grady Does know these people outside of twitter.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I had a big tiff with a close and old pal over how people talk about police abolition and carceral mindset on twitter and this tweet feels like if the elephant in the room swung its trunk at both of our foreheads.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcXS5m6KqNY

This clip is very funny because it involves multiple grown men with literally no earthly idea how to dispose of catshit and we all think of them as being "intellectuals" it owns (also Matt makes Felix look like a dork here, challenging alot of my personal chapo beliefs here, Matt is winning me over bigtime)

28 minutes and 10 seconds in.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Also the "In Electrical" part is a bit about Among Us, a somewhat trending video game that plays like Mafia or WereWolf.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

People are so funny

https://twitter.com/MandelaFace/status/1289742581811699716

https://twitter.com/TheBuzzard/status/1289744698958123008

https://twitter.com/runclepennybags/status/1289745216488931329

Quite a character!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It has for quite a while, the philosophy in it seems to be to include a lot of stuff players can't do that isn't just be the top dog survivor since you can also just build stuff, do stunts, look around for items, play minigames within the current map and so on.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mulan became that yardstick on which a somewhat unremarkable flick meant to extend its copyright turned into this small soft power geopolitical bit like The Interview, even if it barely did a dent. Hence all of the youtubes with frowny faces from around the spectrum. Like, the criticism is like "wow, this disney movie that's attempting to be a 2020's take on something out of the Wu Tang Collection But Also a Girl Boss Movie sure sucks poo poo at both" but you also have a lot of people suddenly concerned about it being possibly filmed next to a Uighur Concentration Camp.

It would be barely be a blip if it happened when the Interview was released, at most warranting a "Ok why do we Need a RL remake of it" and a Jenny Nicholson/Lindsey Ellis video years later talking about it on how weird it was.

Also the ScreenRant twitter post just got the artist swarmed at, despite said artist not meaning to "improve" the characters or something.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hence why I said soft power. Still, people did wanna nuke NK for it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, this was a bit more generalized and several people had their own personal way of affecting the country over it, including Romney and Jason Alexander.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Thanks I didn’t know he tried anymore at all, I will jam it.

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1316541183280193537?s=21

Liz and the TrueAnon account were on "Hey please don't make Hunter Biden an endearing figure, he certain had an hand in nazifying Ukraine" mode yesterday!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

I mean...he didn't though. Like, at the absolute worst Fox is right and Joe did have a major hand in removing the AG who...was a different kind of nazi-adjacent freak? I really can't make the connection how Hunter being a political failson getting a no-show check had any tangible effect on Ukraine, let alone one greater than the Obama admin as a whole supporting the literal nazi uprisings.

I'm going with this:

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1316415528056086528?s=20

He may have not propped them direct, but he certainly benefited from it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think that's more geared towards people who're aware of how silly that premise is but still wanted to make Hunter Biden this endearing figure, given how he was somewhat of a meme a bit around the time the first "Son's Debate" premise was proposed.

My bone with Matt's takes on pop culture is that they felt, for a while, like a somewhat more dishonest "If you like this piece of media, you're contributing to this axis of repression". Like, if someone tells me that Hades is fatphobic, it's probably easier to argue with than his "Ah, this is killing human nature and soul! You'll be dead inside forever and sent into Hell if you don't read X or Y book and if you like the Netflix Punisher" poo poo he used to do.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah basically

Also does he have a take on lodge 49 that he's shared. I feel like it's a pretty good example of what "good" TV might look like right now that isn't trying to be the sopranos

Yeah I don't mind him having weird tastes, it's just that he did the extra step and would make civilization spanning moral judgements on them, and then tut-tuting others for making less harsh judgements than he ever did.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

prefect posted:

I really need to get this "Mario Cart" they're talking so much about. I don't see it on Steam, though.

It has been around since like 1992.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Also someone should tell Chris to buy Redout and Antigravitor, put them on the Chapo computer and point Amber to it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1346870417735245826

i think i liked this though i have no idea who this jesus lady is

Oh wow I wasn't aware this was Girl's Chat. It changed a bunch last time I heard an ep from them!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Eegah! posted:

It sounds like their show sucks and Matt was politely pointing it out by critiquing left media in general and they can’t accept it and are in denial.

His appearance on the TA stream on March and one of his first spell out as much, yes.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Which is funny given that Matt's biggest fits around the times I mentioned were "Progressive-coded-or-minded people on social media saying on some degree that they didn't read a book"!

As much the Chapos cried about that, having someone on camera scream for hours about how everyone is dooming themselves to brain death bc they didn't read the book he likes was one of the dumbest moves they ever did. At least the jargon people aren't screaming at the camera on how you're killing your soul.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 19, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The first streams Matt did during Quarantine were about a lady that hated Moby Dick and wrote a thread about it (Which is what Matt's TrueAnon stream was mostly about), and about Nathan Robinson saying he didn't find Marx to be sufficient. so he spent a few hours of stream trying to argue against that and pulling up drawings.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There was a time they did streams and one of them was a Truth Stream with Matt and you can find both parts on their youtube page and archive dot org backup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXgGTydNSr4&t=158s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDq0Mkq0gM8

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The article leaps over the fact that Q doesn't think the Epstein stuff is real tho!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah QAnoners aren’t right about a lot of things (as the article says) - they’re vaguely “right” about one thing but believe one of the actual pedo cabal members is a good guy who’s going to take it down.

Also "Aside from what appears to be a conspicuous absence of middle-class professionals" is really weird given the CEOs, the people with CIA clearances and plenty others that were caught mid raid?

This article could have easily gone thru a severe culling of several paragraphs and its purpose would have been far more evident if it went without the "Oh yeah here's something they clearly don't believe in" and the "B-b-b-but PMCS!!!" nonsense.

The line about the Olive Garden and the hotels stuff feels like someone desperately trying to clutch weird class signifiers as "lol the poors" when... it wasn't even that? A lot of people I knew saw it as "oh, these fuckers were enjoying themselves in relatively well off places after all of that poo poo while protests from months ago had far worse backlash" than "Haw, the proles have lovely taste".

It suffers a lot from this until you get to the general meat about alienation and where it comes from, which is like... two thirds way in. It's definitely a necessary and admirable piece, but it suffers a lot from, well, the usual issues with an Amber article.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 20, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

a cool leftwing academic who got blacklisted for not toeing the party line. the bits in the trueanon interview where they keep bleeping him out should be illustrative - he's not wrong, but he's also not going to be bothered to word his argument in a way to not offend people. Any enemy of the dersh is a friend of mine tho!

Also he was directly quoting what he was told, rather than somewhat celebrate the usage of such terms. I imagine Yung/Liz/Bruce/Mehmet figured that they were going to showcase him to one of the largest audiences that was gonna be accepting to him and didn't want to make him into some sort of weird "Ah, the epic slur-saying academic!!" nonsense bit.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think that was the "Ok we can't just say that the UK police is capable of brutality and the government is even more enthusiastic about giving them more free reign to do this" view that a lot of papers are going with. Like our portuguese government tv report specifically centered said policeman at the start while the private networks that had Sky News connections centered way more on sentences from women at the vigil before the police went down that specifically tried to avoid spelling out how the woman died.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Every person that cheered that tweet on can no longer cry about parasocial relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tweezer Reprise posted:

It stresses me out to talk about this stuff and I didn't want to misrepresent anything, I should've left it to someone else sorry :eng99:

Just peep the last few pages or so and that's about it.