Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Also gently caress Christman, The Duellists is a masterpiece.

Yeah I'm hit or miss on Ridley Scott but I finally watched this thanks to Chapo and it was outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

razorscooter posted:

A Canadian Sorkin lib that deeply values the discourse and is mad about this tweet:

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/847314895112552448

Hahahahaha

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, this Nerdlinger reading series was crazy and stupid enough before he started going in on the Holocaust museum.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opening our borders to refugees would be a start.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Like can you imagine Harvard students in the 60s forming an anti-Nixon group and calling it the Fellowship of the Ring?

cat doter posted:

I can totally imagine that

yeah I would not at all be surprised if that was a thing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've never even heard the real Gorka talk but Adomian's impression of him makes me almost piss myself laughing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Obstacle2 posted:

It is possible, it is also possible that monkeys may fly out of my rear end.

is it, though?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hocus Pocus posted:

What if your mate was a TV?

I lost it so hard at those Black Mirror parodies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This event was very fun and good, it looked like there was someone filming which is good because the PowerPoint slides were hilarious. Also someone got real mad when they went in on Obama.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

I love the 'Zbigniew Brzezinski is the Hydrox to Kissinger's Oreo' line because IMMEDIATELY I went into 'Nerdy Kid From Bart's Comet episode of The Simpsons' voice and went DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HYDROX CAME BEFORE OREO AND IS THE ORIGINAL VERSION~~~

Someone siting near me shouted this at the event

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The West Wing seems really bad but I still like The Social Network ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

What is wrong with all of you. The best movie about a president is Escape from New York.

2nd place behind The Dead Zone actually.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Hamilton isn't accessible because 98% of the country literally can't access it

in my experience most people that are into it just listen to the music independent of the show, I work at a library and the CD is super popular (and, being that it's a library, free).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Assassins kicks a lot of rear end

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

One thing I've found disappointing is that people who do a podcast I really like, when they start doing movie reviews, just repeat dumb man-on-the-street stuff.

Like I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that the Dry Boys don't really "get" BvS. :can:

This is relevant to their work, because they often talk about how the average person can't read culture because class consciousness in the USA has been systematically ground down and atomized into nothingness, leading to liberals looking in the wrong places, freaking out about phenomena like "cultural appropriation" and only seeing critique of the establishment in terms of notional consumer choices.

Simply put, most people get no education in how to read film or television. If you're like me, you got a segment in your 10th grade English class in how to read things like character archetypes and conflict in a story, and how to read the plot of a short story. But Star Wars and The Avengers have a greater effect on popular ideology than like, "The Scarlet Ibis" or whatever.

BvS is a garbage movie for angry teenagers

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dimebags Brain posted:

People will say Dopesmoker because that one's famous for being long, but Holy Mountain has the superior songs and you don't need to be high to enjoy it on repeat listens.

yeah Dopesmoker's cool and all but Holy Mountain is definitely the best Sleep album

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

if you like Melvins you like KARP whether you know it or not. Als if you've only ever jammed Houdini you owe it to yourself to at least throw on Bullhead and Stoner Witch

Karp owns.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually read any of his books because I didn't think they sounded like my thing, but I think I'll check em out now. Which ones do people recommend?

I also loved when they did their big analogy about Lenin being a poster and he was just like "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Moose are indeed very intimidating but that "What moose, daddy?" story is still completely bizarre.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Under the vegetable posted:

I think if you're a person paying for something you have a right to complain about it. This is like the least controversial statement possible.

You should ask to speak to the manager

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Sucks to your ASMR.

this is good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Serf posted:

lmao this takes 5 paragraphs to even get to the dry boys. boooooring

and like two more paragraphs after that to come to any kind of point (although I'm still not sure what that point actually is)

that said, new reading series?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Please tell me this is a joke

some things you just don't joke about

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oh my god

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

It would be weird to shoot GOP lawmakers if you were a fan. Were you hoping for a Reagan shooter situation?

I mean I feel like usually situations like this are some McVeigh "gently caress the government" militia dude

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

The affected voice and dumb stuff like "trumped up trickle down" is something a lot of democrats do. Watch CSPAN2 for a bit and you can figure out exactly which phrase a consultant told them all to say that day.

The Pod Save Bros rail against it all the time, then decided that they all love Tom Perez who's has an awful case of Democrat voice, but hey, you gotta protect your friends' contracts with the DNC.

Speaking of democrat voice did you guys see this

https://twitter.com/lukewsavage/status/877992418624360453

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

movie theater etiquette is cool but Alamo Drafthouse seems like hell

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

People absolutely deserve to be executed if they text in the theater. I'm surprised this is controversial.

movie texting is obnoxious but like ask them to stop yourself or deal with it, don't call the Movie Cops

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Huzanko posted:

Actually, people - like the people posting in this thread that are insisting that talking and texting in a movie is good - don't stop talking or texting if you ask them to anymore, also these days they may shoot you or start a fight. It's cool that your experience is different but calling the movie cops is actually the safer and less confrontational option than asking people to be more polite.

If that's seriously your concern then what's to stop them from shooting the drafthouse employee you ask to shush them for you

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

look if you don't want to risk taking a bullet, you don't get a job as an Alamo Drafthouse Usher. The job carries with it certain responsibilities.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kunster posted:

(and to tie in with something Will Menaker said, they did have a male-only Logan showing as well).

lol oh my god

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will say that the Drafthouse Films production house gave us The Act of Killing and the rediscovery of Miami Connection and distributed a bunch of other great movies so they're cool by me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Do you guys like The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Ya that book rules

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

To bring it full circle, he has just been informed about Chapo Trap House and is insisting that it is a front for something.

I dunno how the next big twitter meltdown is going to top this one, it has something for everybody.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like the cube more than the spinner.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

little munchkin posted:

they're extremely boring, op

yeah I don't have a problem with superhero movies in principle but they're definitely getting more and more homogenous and its easy to see why someone would call them inherently reactionary.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

Riding a lawnmower is very relaxing

Yeah riding mowers are fun but five hours?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Life is Worth Losing is consistently one of my favorite specials, the opening and closing monologues are fantastic

Yeah that's my favorite of his.

Bill Hicks however is probably the key example of something I used to like that got completely ruined for me by his fans.

Incidentally, I finally listened to Trilbilly Worker's Party today and it's good as hell.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought part one of this one was a little weak but man part two delivered. anyone know what the action film score music was? sounded familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey we weren't all band geeks in high school