Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

net work error posted:

This was a good history episode and it's a shame that kind of history isn't taught in schools. Matt's good at history teaching.

This sort of history is taught in colleges, you just have to go beyond the big surveys which are by their nature pretty bland and do upper level courses.

Edit: Also, fwiw they are it is very difficult to do something like the “inebriated past” episodes in actual class form. Students have to be able to understand historical context and larger historical issues, as well as be able to do some form of information synthesis and all of that is wildly beyond the knowledge and ability of your average freshman, and honestly most undergraduates in general.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

net work error posted:

The most US history I took was in high school so I get what you mean about it being beyond the scope of most classes.

High school history is pretty bad for a variety of reasons and could stand to be improved

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's hilarious that one streaming service can produce this drivel next to something like Patriot (which was canceled).

Patriot was one of the best comedies on television its an incredible shame it was canceled

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you absolute ignoramuses, the best movie of 2018 was Twisted Pair and its not even close

I know I’m super behind but gently caress yeah Neil Breen.

It wasn’t as good as fateful findings, though

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

It was a thing at Indiana University for sure. I just thought it was a college kid thing in general.

I remember Bloomington from the mid 20-teens and it was a great town.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

It’s real nice in the summer when the weather is good and all the kids empty out. Especially nice when you’re in college and have no responsibilities!

That part of Indiana is a bizarrely delightful little wonderland.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I can't tell if this is ironic humor or a sincerely held position.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

The actual confusing military aspect with Wakanda is that their troops (as of Infinity War) seem to be mainly comprised of energy spears and tower shields, at least for the ordinary troops, with the Jabari just swinging around big mauls and hooting.

I think this is my main issue with whatever afro-futurist vision Black Panther has - it is largely unable to conceive of a future that does not directly reference a more technologically primitive "generic African" past.

When we think of contemporarily-imagined "futuristic" Western European soldiers they're not laser hoplites or jet powered crossbowmen, but advances upon the contemporary form and function. They're soldiers with sci-fi gadgets and guns. None of the SHIELD soldiers have armored pilgrim belt buckle hats and muzzle-loading plasma muskets.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 15, 2021

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo, the David Milch pitch for a cop show set in Rome before Roman laws were codified sounds amazing.

You might like Steven Saylor's books then: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordianus_the_Finder

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Shipon posted:

what are they gonna do, force us to have sex?

All hail the Dear Penthouse, regime

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Seems like there's a lot going on with the Amazon strike in Alabama, feels kind of weird that it has not really been discussed in any meaningful way.

inferis posted:

It literally doesn’t matter what region of Australia you’re from because Americans just hear crocodile dundee/hunter

Make him your king you fucks

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 27, 2021

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Edit: nvm

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 5, 2021

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

Sure would be nice to pay $$ for a recording of E1 and Chapo. Too bad I'm not cool enough to watch live

The whole point of a live show is that it is a unique experience for those viewing it live.

Don't be mad at the concept of a live show.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

Really enjoyed the guest on TrueAnon talking about Robert Evans for 5 minutes without naming him.

Wait which one the jsuc one?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Hot take: I think that lady who killed her dog probably did everything that could reasonably be done and the whole situation sucks and I like to think I would have handled it better than she did but I'm not sure.

It was wildly wrongheaded to think writing the article would be a good idea.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

Owning a dog is like any other relationship, figure out the issues in your own life before you invite someone/something else into it.

Advice like this will lead to everyone being without relationships, isolated, alone, and will end the human race. Therefore, it is good advice.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

net work error posted:

Hell of Presidents was pretty cool. Still not buying Stitcher premium though.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Stop being a loving weirdo Wizard Master

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

he did allegedly steal a bunch of money from the chapos allegedly

Source pls?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

allegedly my dick and balls are stuck up my own rear end in a top hat

When things are too small to notice you don't need to use allegedly

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like they just like to look at fish or sexually?

Look to Troy McClure for your answer

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Does anyone have the link to the video clip they played on the recent patreon episode of Trump's drug turn-in speech?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I think John Oliver gets super old because the joke format has been the same for years but the whole 'he points out society's problems without offering real solutions' always rung a bit hollow because it's not like CTH offers any actual solutions either other than 'laugh at the impending collapse with your friends and get super into trying to buy a sable online'

Last Week Tonight's analysis ultimately rings hollow because it is unable or unwilling to identify the causes of the issues it explores. Oliver discusses the symptoms, rather than the disease itself.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Can’t stand Bryan

He seems like a very nice man but I feel like a little goes a long way.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its ok if some kids die, its not many

You can fit multiple children in a coffin designed for an adult its honestly more efficient

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Wizard Master posted:

It's funny that Felix's biggest bug-bear about a mask mandate is how uncomfortable it is to wear at the gym, when if you've seen any recent picture of him it's apparent how unimpressive his physique is for someone who likes to present themselves as a gym rat. He's talked on old episodes about doing compound lifts but it's obvious from looking at him he's never lifted effectively for muscle hypertrophy (i.e. both compound and accessory/isolation exercises within the 10-12 rep range, focusing on progessive overload).

Oh buddy.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Slanderer posted:

sad middle aged fat man who overshares about his pathetic sex life lusts after sad middled aged divorcee who overshares about her pathetic sex life

This statement says a lot more about you than you think it does.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

prefect posted:

Wait what huh?

I clearly missed something.

Everyone who posts is bad.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It was written by Eric Red. He wrote movies like The Hitcher and Near Dark, and has such a fascination with vehicular manslaughter he ran his car into a store and killed two people.

Near Dark rules, too bad the dude has brainworms.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Writing this much about a podcast should be a crime. In a just world, this person would go to jail.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Talia is someone I followed because I thought she was doing good work fighting the Fasc but her timeline slowly but surely morphed into her just relentlessly, unceasingly in-fighting with Antifa Zoomers who are/arent doing things the “right” way. It’s like a 26 year old woman talking down to a bunch of 22 year old women about whether not you should take pictures of cops when they are murdering you. Absolutely twisted stuff, I had to unsubscribe.

Talia Levin is interesting but she needs a new project (I say this as someone who has not had a good idea in their life) because she seems to be running on fumes.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Don Hughes the goddamn king

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I don't actually believe I'm gonna wake up on the loving Fury Road in a couple years

Thats because you and your friends and family will have perished already

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Blagojvich is unwavering in his commitment to making every single topic about things he "would have done."

Also, right about 1hr50 he starts talking about how each party is beholden to its "extremest wing" like what the gently caress are you talking about Joe Biden is president.

And gently caress this "school choice" poo poo just fund your schools you prick.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Nothus posted:

It's me. I'm the baby-brain listener who thinks that interviewing someone means giving a full-throated endorsement to everything that comes out of their mouth.

I don't think anyone has said Felix has changed his political positions or endorsed blago for anything all. He explicitly said he disagrees with Blago on a number of positions.

Hes an interesting interview and also a great example of one of the many types of people who will stand in the way of fundamental and necessary change.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

I think you're mistaken there is some librarian running the children's program.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
So with all the ninja chat, is Phoenix Jones funny or just a shithead?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Jones

Lol he wears a george michael bluth padded muscle suit

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

can't wait to hear the boys' first Tom Morello reading series

Are you talking about the NYT opinion piece he wrote?

The piece was stupid because clearly none of the music that he is highlighting had any real effect on the relentless grinding wheel of capitalism, and a lot of it was pandering for cred from NYT readers, but it seems like he meant well and theres so many other, crazier people to go after.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

My favorite bit of lore is that he hosted an infamous Brooklyn comedy showcase where Sam Hyde ranted about all gay men being pedophiles.

People get on stage and start saying poo poo, this really isn't damning unless hyde was invited back, or discussed saying this ahead of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I would listen to an entire podcast of the chapos making up names of the eternals