Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McArdle is to kitchenware as Nick Mullen is to Sony Playstation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The 90s was the era of adolescent edgelordism, and you can trace much of the alt-right directly to it. My pet theory is that the End of History zeitgeist kind of drove people mad, creating a counterweight where anything critical of the bland status quo came across as bold and intelligent, even if it was monstrously antisocial.

Sorry to quote back so far, but the 2008 elections loving broke nerds' brains everywhere. Ron Paul lunatics swarmed en masse and started the ''''libertarian'''' rEVOLution online. That's when "no government rules, reee" became a priority for dorks. Before that, most internet discussion was largely centre-left.

Ron Paul's bullshit made being a rightwing dickhead normal online. I'm sure there was always a presence, but they didn't crawl out of the woodwork until a black man ran for US president against a kindly old doctor who just wants the gubmit to leave him alone!

I blame Dr. Ron Paul directly for this.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pretty sure Virgil has written for The Onion and Amber teaches at NYU. They weren't nearly as fail-adjacent as Felix or Matt.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

if i live to be million i'll never understand how fortnite became THE game. it aint even the best game in its genre. kind of a league of legends situation i guess.

It's free, runs on everything and you can play a decent game in 20 minutes. The biggest competitor is $60, runs like poo poo on anything and takes forever to do anything. Fornite also has a bit of a creativity zone and a high skill ceiling due to the building aspect. It's a perfect storm, kinda.

Did anyone else get the free ebook they offered for pre-purchasing the book? It's got 4 stories and they are all excellent, in particular Brendan's.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

cat doter posted:

is the hot couch guy a universal dirtbag left experience or something because even in australia I totally had like, 2 hot couch guys that I knew/hang out around sometimes

this entire continent is a hot couch and the dvd menu is our total culture

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Virgil being a man of mystery, and then simply disappearing is really weird in the media age of a constant stream of info about your online faves.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

Most of those are pretty good but Unforgiven is one of the worst films I've ever seen. I went into it expecting a western and I got moping and bad carpentry.

it's finally my time:

turn your screen on

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's not really clear but there's several reasons (it's like rashomon)

- They want to both-sides the_donald being banned
- spez is an idiot
- Users (allegedly, possibly, maybe? unclear) were doxxing people or harassing offsite. They 100% do tweet at people whose dumb posts are shared or capped and shared on cth. But that's what twitter is. So, Doxxing, IDK.
- The memeing of John Brown and full-throated support for "KILL ALL SLAVE OWNERS" was quote-unquote a "call to violence"
- it's a bad website
- The "KILL ALL SLAVE OWNERS" thing evolved a little, briefly, into "KILL ALL LANDLORDS" which caused much friction and scared a lot of people (who were dumb)
- It was actually a super active sub despite it not having that many users. cth posters post hard and post often, and would go into other subs and cause poo poo pretty often. Again, this is what the site is for, I don't see the issue. You're not like, locked to one subreddit. It'd be like posting in RGD excluded me from being on YOSPOS or GBS. I don't get the issue, perhaps it was more co-ordinated.
- whatever man poo poo's boring who cares
- bad site

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought the subreddit was pretty OK if you treat it in the way reddit is best used - scroll it on a mobile app, do not read any post longer than a paragraph, invest absolutely nothing in it. It was occasionally, rarely, funny which, for the site, ringing endorsement. It in no way matched the tone of the podcast and was largely just a big lefty shitpost station, which reddit definitely could use.

They were also incredibly supportive of trans posters which I think deserves credit.

It was dumb as poo poo tho, half the time it was "gulag those who disagree, STALIN FOREVER" the other half of the time it was "uwu my feels were hurt when x didn't include my exact ID". The struggle sessions were embarrassing for everyone. The podcast hosts were correct to treat it with disdain.

So what I'm saying is it was a land of contrasts and we should actually klnda support a lefty shitpost station on reddit or else it'll be a full tilt nazi site in a few years, and like it or not, a lot of kids go on there to get their opinions. It is still very funny to see right wing idiots pearl clutch about the subreddit like it was ever half as toxic as most gaming subs.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Real posters ahegao in every photo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

These E1 episodes on Uncle Houseboat are incredible. There’s too many quotes to highlight and they move past insane lines so quickly. Like, “Michael Phelps was born in a pool” doesn’t even register.

"so are birds snakes bird or are birds snakes?"

well why not fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 8, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The bugs have no (or limited) FTL capabilities but somehow launch a rock from near Klendathu to hit Buenos Aires (noticeably: not London, Hong Kong, NYC or Washington DC) with pinpoint accuracy, through earths' defense grid.

They only do it once, instead of peppering the planet with stones. Earth responds with a recruitment drive and offensive, rather than doubling down on defense. Propaganda goes into full swing and teenagers start signing up for service straight out of school.

Buenos Aires was an inside job.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I would pay double Patreon costs for a series where Felix, Matt and Will just call up and argue with people. "You have the most loving alcoholic voice of anyone I've ever met" is loving scathing.

I also love the phasey effect when Amber says the bit about being Hysterical.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

“Uhh Yeah Dude” isn’t such a bad title. It’s also been on since before people knew how to name podcasts.

“Yeah But Still” is really similar to an uncomfortable amount.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

American climate seems to divided up into five flavours : icy, hot, sweaty, deserts or stargate forest.

Here it’s just Mediterranean climate with daily tropical storms every summer. It’s invigorating.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So what would a fully developed video game industry be putting out?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That WHYYY video shows off LMM is a pretty weak singer.

He also shows up on the Moana soundtrack (he wrote for it, and i think did a good job) and it's a bit of a WTF moment because it's the only voice on it that's not a pacific islander and he doesn't even do that well. It's a bit of a narrator song like in Lion King or Tarzan but it'd be better sang by someone else. The movie has a lot of great singers in the cast so I don't know why LMM is doing this part of a key song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZrAmRxy_M

He's the english speaking voice from about 1:25. Writing songs for DIsney movies is probably the best spot for someone of his talents. He's a subpar singer and rapper, but can write quite well in a few styles.

Also on WHYYY: it's not really fair to judge singers solely on that one moment as it's a super high note that is just out of range for a lot of people. Mariah Carey would blast that poo poo apart but wouldn't necessarily be a great fit for the rest of the role. You need someone who can do it all. And that's definitely not LMM!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

whatever man poo poo's boring who cares

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This Is Sus is doing an “adult cartoon about depression”. I think it’ll be NGE but it could be horse show

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

JBP cashing in a comfy life in the Canadian educational system to die of consumption in the shadow of Dracula's castle is a legendary self-own. Maybe his new son-in-law can pick him up on his next "recruitment" flight to Steven Seagal's compound.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lmao Khive won’t revolt they’ll just sulk and post even worse.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that noise machine tweet is like a cumtown b side

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a catperson name virgil

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

if chicken and poo poo are both present then it's clearly a farm-to-table, locally sourced restaurant and i applaud the decision to eat there

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/nashwalina/status/1301339696426090496

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No one would vote Sestak because of that appearance. It was solely for gawking at the dude.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the latest eps have rocked, WWI stuff is really interesting to me, because i am a huge loser and nerd, but will never read a book

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

people are going to get big mad about this. Virgil's inbox can likely hold no more.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well the 5 minute intro of Bad Faith is very stressful

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah for clarity the intro is a montage of news clips from the last few years (or months, jfc) set to tense music that builds up over time. The show seems to bre pretty light-hearted after that!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ol yeller posted:

Can't stop lolling at all the Nobummer crowd being grazed out of normality by Covfefe Stumpf whilst've we're continuing to deny culture wars over simple pupperino socialization speculative hooey but, well, that's the 2020s for you.

The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/majorityfm/status/1307107957184831488

Virgil Explains His Absence

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah it was pretty funny.

IIRC, at one point they released the preliminary work toward a comic and the races of the characters didn't conform to the fan-decided races and they got accused of erasure.

Also the fans decided the character named "Taco" is Latino

Taako is latinx and gay. He sounds like snagglepuss and tbh it’s a use of a stereotype but totally harmless. There’s many, many posts raging over this.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This Stephen Heck episode is just show & tell for twitter posts. It's a great listen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i also heard that Mulan didn't release with chinese subtitles so i don't think it's fair to say Disney cares that much

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Posting the photo that makes the king of thailand look like a street fighting badass carries a three to fifteen sentence.

DUDES ROCK

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1311060386184126464

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Twitter War Nerds are reporting that some mobile HQ aeroplane has been spotted, apparently it's a deterrent for anyone to strike the US. This means that the military are convinced at the least, apparently??

https://twitter.com/timinhonolulu/status/1311883569086623744?s=21

well why not fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 2, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

next episode is probably gonna be about the boogaloos who tried to kidnap a governor, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CTH was running before Trump was seen as a real possilbility and is often best when it's talking about weird or esoteric stuff aside from the presidency. It'll be fine. It's main focus was making GBS threads on columnists and there'll be no shortage of columnists going forward.