Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I do think that they would get cancelled by their loonier fans in the classic “left is misogynistic and hates minorities” way, so I doubt they’d associate themselves with Chapo, despite their leanings being similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Flat Daddy posted:

someone should make a bingo card for these ppl that come in this thread like this. like, says cryptofascist a lot, every one is a stasserite, post history lookin like

etc etc

Post history is cryptopedo and revisionist

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

They should get peter daou on the show

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

I actually liked his cadence.

It was aggrandizing the IMF of all godforsaken things that was driving me crazy, and acting like the US wouldn’t do the exact same plays for strategic ports and locations. Matt was right when he said at least countries are getting infrastructure out of it.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Dilbert was my introduction to capitalism being a bad system and made me never want a desk job

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

For what it’s worth, I think chapo is genuinely doing good things: for me personally, they introduced me to Derek Davidson and his extremely good Foreign Affairs newsletter, and motivated me to be active in my union.

It’s very reductive for these Twitter ransoms to squeal and call it a grift when it’s also genuinely good outreach for leftist causes.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Is there a stream for the debates?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

crepeface posted:

Matt is the tank that holds aggro while Virgil lobs verbal shitpost grenades. they are a great team.

Much like Mao Zedong, Matt is a zarya

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Actually originally it was called “Star Truck” and it was about a guy driving a truck in space with his space ape partner. Every episode they got into a wacky adventure helping someone out at a different truck stop.

That’s Alien

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

OxySnake posted:

Virgil and Felix have such distinctive voices I noticed them right away. Matt wasnt yelling so it went right over my head.

Virgil’s homosexual debutante voice is very problematic IMO (I liked it a lot)

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Blowback is pretty good. The episodes are better paced than the primer and it’s well made.

The traitor Brendan James is in my good books

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

The Phantom Menace: good

other 2: bad.

Also its great how you can still find Phantom Menace merch out there 20 years later like it's Soviet Union military surplus.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Podracing and duel of the fates are probably the two best scenes in the whole series.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Didn't Bernie not take it to the convention last time?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Some folks say I’ve got the best trump voice! The best! You love it folks! You looove it!

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

A Cheeto of unnatural size!

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

heh, there was a Hispanic wizard named Taco, which somehow didn't piss people off as much as you would think

The fans actually assumed that Taako was hispanic, and were furious about the lack of representation when the elf in the graphic novel was green

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

The best ork lore is that their guns are just some metal boxes with screws rattling around in them and only work because Orks believe they will

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Yo, Matt's streams shamed me into reading some literature instead of playing video games for a bit, so I started reading Blood Meridian. The main antagonist appears to be a jacked 7-foot tall hairless albino cowboy named the Judge like a Metal Gear Solid villain. Are books anime?

Protagonist is debatable...

Also congrats on being able to understand the incredible amount of blood meridian references in Chapo

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Felix has the worst taste in games of anyone I've ever heard who describes themselves as a gamer. He's also god awful at games, and couldn't beat the first boss in a series that he claims to love and won't stop bringing up.

Conversely, Matt who hates games has extremely funny and good takes on them, and describing Gone Home as basically mail theft is extremely funny. He was also the best voice actor of the group in Disco Elysium

Edit: for the record, Virgil saying that Mao Zedong would play Zarya in Overwatch is my favorite gamer take

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Blowback is still excellently sourced and has a good rhythm to it, despite the subject matter being very complex at times. I'm 100% down with the traitor Brendan James continuing to make documentary-style series in the chapo sphere.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Race Realists posted:

i like how virgil just magically appears back on the podcast with zero explanation as to just what the gently caress hes been doing for the last 3 1/2 months

:lol: what, having a life OUTSIDE of a completely horrifying 24/7 media apparatus?:shepface:

He was probably playing the new final fantasy game based on his description of going to see the janitor

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

On this episode I thought amber was fine, but every time Matt did a both sides argument I expected them to contest him in some way, and they simply never did, which was very disappointing.

Ambers comments on community and the investment of liberals being inversely proportional to the realism of goals were astute

Edit: talking about how getting a job as a cop is a working class opportunity sucks rear end though. Don’t frame being a steward of capital as positive using class conscious language

Mae fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 10, 2020

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Anyone "on the left" who isn't on that list is a weird nobody with a $25 patreon hth

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

They save that for the premium episodes so you can put words in their mouth without being able to verify

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

The work religion segment gave me very powerful Warhammer 40K religion vibes

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

I’m glad Virgils back and in perfect wonk form, I was a little worried there’d be bad blood about him starting an adjacent political podcast

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

This is a lunch pail 9-5 podcast

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

I don’t think that being the more left podcaster with the Bernie campaign comms person makes you a lib.

He could just be a demsoc and not a revolutionary Marxist

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

why does every celebrity they interview compare trump to literally hitler?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

I like censoring everything except for the N

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

I trust the beltway garage to tune up my democratic ride, their estimates were at least justified and not just bleak pessimism

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

That trailer is so good- I subscribed to stitcher premium exclusively for Blowback and it was worth every penny (the promo was a good deal too)

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Virgil's voice cracking as he said "Do you mean the Women's March" was very funny

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

I had to check but I agree since all of his good songs came out in the 80s

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Citations needed often sounds like someone wrote a 5 paragraph essay and are reading it to me aloud

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

The noble banana can be used as a defensive or offensive tool, and is far better than a boost mushroom or coin

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I just thought that that was a type of person we all know.

It is, goons don’t go to parties or stand outside of clubs at 10pm (where I would hear 10 people talking like this at the same time)

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

“Pre law poli sci graduate” is a good way to say you didn’t get into law school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Gold Nova 1, and he’s super proud of it unironically