Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

The joke isn't at the rape victim. It's that someone is making an ironic joke as though someone would make a joke at a rape victim. It's not what you think it is at all. I laughed extremely hard at the notion of Nick mocking her going YOU WANNA KNOW HOW I GOT THESE EMOTIONAL SCARS?!

THAT joke is funny. An actual joke at a rape victim would not be. It's sad that either you can't tell the difference or you don't care what the difference is.

It's possible to tell the difference, recognize that some (or you yourself) find it funny, and why others might not find it funny at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

No, there's a Greevil too.

He's a character in one of the bad GameCube Pokemon games, that's it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I genuinely don't get how you could look at that and not immediately recognize it's a joke. Like, there's really no other way to interpret it?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

CortezFantastic posted:

It's two things: one, most of the people on left twitter were sharing molestation stories and poo poo involving men for the last few days, and two, Josh is a comedian and a podcaster, but also DSA LA co-chair. If the DSA is a serious political group, it needs serious leadership. It shows a lack of judgment on his part to think that would fly, especially knowing his audience and being a chair. It's just incredibly tone deaf. And it wasn't even a good joke!

Oh, well that makes far more sense and is totally understandable. Much more helpful than yelling about how it's bad timing with 0 explanation.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

man, I'll take people mildly criticizing a bad joke that made them uncomfortable any day over a bunch of nerds flipping out that their precious podcast hosts got owned online.

the boys, and the DSA chair they were with, both apologized soon after, because they realized they had a lapse in judgement. hopefully, they will be more mindful going forward, and hopefully people will forgive them for something lovely but minor.

I think that will be the case. The tone of most of the criticism wasn't the liberal "drag him!!!!!!!", it was a lot more measured.

honestly, the reactionary backlash of "it's jsut JOKES" is way more concerning to me. it seems waaay disproportionate to the criticism actually coming from the left.

hint: if your kneejerk reaction, as a leftist, is to demand people "not be so sensitive", you are being a really lovely ally.

I'm going to assume most people who dismissed it at first thought the criticism was coming from the same people who got pissed about the whole "bend the knee" poo poo and had no idea about the surrounding twitter context (or at least that was the case for me). When the actual, like, context is explained I think you'll find a lot more people will side with you.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, the Cosby star thing is a really good example of something that isn't too big of a deal alone, but with all the context factored in is pretty bad

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

No matter what the context is, why would three public figures all think it's a good idea to take a picture that will live on forever where they're giving the thumbs up with a big wide grin next to a plaque honoring a notorious serial rapist. What's the upside of having that out there? Two seconds of thought should tell you "nah, not worth it."

Yeah, in reality the tweet didn't need anything other than the picture of the star. The 3 guys posing may have worked for comedic effect if one of them wasn't in an actual important position in an important part of the current leftist movement, and if it was done at literally any time other than when a lot of people were sharing stories of abuse and sexual assault on twitter.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Virgil loving owns

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You're kind of a weirdo tbh

Like that tweet is horrid but your post isn't that much better

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Haha, slurs are funny

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Me, smart person: "You're a retard."

You, a person: "YOU IDIOT, THAT'S OFFENSIVE TO MONGOLOID-AMERICANS, YOU MORON."

Me: "You're retarded."

You're an obsessed weirdo, sorry to say.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Chexoid posted:

It's even worse. He plays on PC but with a gamepad. I don't know if I can be a leftist anymore.

What the gently caress

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay I finally read the article and this kid's profile is basically "Like Charles Manson, but more violent and way more homophobic."

Did you mean marilyn manson or

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

prob not, no

Oh okay I'm prob just dumb

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress?

I just thought edgy musician was closer than cult leader/murderer

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

padijun posted:

cult leader/murderer/musician.

...right. like I said, me being dumb. Apologies

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Matt was bad

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

They’ve never denied he isn’t creepy. And frankly, their argument for why it’s possible Mia coached her kid convinced me there was a non-zero chance. And Mia isn’t the most stable laid-back person either. Haven’t some of her adopted children called her out for really awful behavior?

Yikes

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Felix scaring everyone with where his hot take was going was very funny and made it all worth it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Not knowing anyone under 40 who smokes is like not knowing anybody who uses "fag" or "retard" casually in that it's a dead giveaway that you're a bougie dweeb and don't know a single working class person.

What the gently caress? If you're older I guess but nobody in their 20s is going around casually throwing out fag who isn't just a homophobe.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I mean yeah but there's a huge difference between throwing around gay and fag

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

That Marianne twist seemed so obvious that I'm not quite sure why they didn't see it coming

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yikes

I don't really know what Carter expected him to do but that's super not the right reaction

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

WorkerThread posted:

felix sucks now. just stick to getting sweaty at the game for 10 year olds on stream instead of phoning it in on the one appearance a month

He was on point during the live shows tho

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

You are out of your mind if you accept Kath’s framing of this as a workplace safety issue.

Why, exactly, do you think this?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

prefect posted:

When you make it sound like you're setting down universal workplace rules, yeah, you're talking about more people.

This specific scenario being talked about necessarily has the person who did the sexual harassment be far above their victims in terms of power. The cable guy scenario is not at all applicable.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

prefect posted:

The discussion is not about a specific guy -- the discussion is about general workplace health and safety.

Yes, and the issue with workplace safety is about a guy with way more power than his victims being let back in. I don't see how this is an issue to understand.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

prefect posted:

This looks like where the discussion veered away from Louis CK.

https://twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/1142905228808925191

I mean even in that tweet the assumption is that the dude has power over his coworkers by virtue of being recognized as the best in the world. It's not a great analog to real life but it works, kinda.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 24, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

That said, under capitalism there will be no way to protect their potential coworkers and also provide a satisfying answer to "how do we make sure the guy can still make a living?" So all that can really be argued is which you find more important.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

thotsky posted:

In before people start falling over each other reccommending ever more sadistic capital punishment for sex offenders.

Now I want to hear a health & safety take in regards to working with murderers.

Yes, it would be bad if people did that thing you're imagining.

Also if the dude specifically targeted their coworkers and nothing at all was really done about it, uh, yeah they probably shouldn't be around.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Between this and the antivax poo poo I don't know why she was even a meme candidate for a little bit

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The teens threw themselves into unironic support of her as well, sadly

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Williamson is a solid Tier 2 candidate along with...Gabbard

I feel like her opinions on gays and muslims should probably knock her down a tier or two

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

How Darwinian posted:

Communicating (writing or speaking) clearly means being succinct.

Just observing that Bernie really fumbled the question on "why elect an old white man?" and Sirota really meandered too. No idea who is responsible, but they just need to tighten up their answer, because that question will keep getting asked

It's almost like being able to sit down and iron out specific points is a very different skill than speaking off the cuff casually

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's almost like you really shouldn't put a huge amount of responsibility and public attention onto teenagers.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

You're pretty loving close to getting me to unironically support trans-exclusionary posting spaces. Christ, I'd rather they be white, bougie, and 'boringly cis-het' if more of you is what's being offered as a positive alternative.

Lmao christ

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MadJackal posted:

The weirdest thing about Chapo-Sanders supporters is the insistence that somehow every single Democratic candidate other than Bernie will magically be worse than the Trump.

Nobody says this.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

MGSV was fun to play but very stupid. Now Peacewalker, that was a turd.

Peace Walker loving owns

You sure you're not thinking of PoOps?

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 28, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

4 is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's okay cuz I think at the end of it all you just you know you sign a petition and that fixes all your personal problems. see working in the system worked it's all fine in the end. God the ending in Persona 5 is just a loving sad sad wet fart

To be fair the thing that actually gets you out of prison is the group finding the woman who the bad guy originally assaulted and convincing her to testify on what actually happened. The petition scene is just one dude (who throughout the game was portrayed as a loser) doing something. Although it was dumb still especially with one character coming out of their entire experience with "I wanna be a cop and change the system from the inside!"