Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Will Menaker sounds like he'd be so bad at fighting. He's very funny though.

ETA: the funniest thing about the show so far has been the unhinged hatred for it from Twitter Tankies denouncing it as CIA psy-op and fascist propaganda.

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr Hootington posted:

and reason you don't need twitter.

Whoa poo poo, really? I can't even imagine listening without at least some knowledge of the various weirdo Twitter tropes and personalities that they rag on perpetually.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr Hootington posted:

between SA and Chapo you don't.

Makes sense. I've been thinking about deleting my Twitter account again, so that would be a decent combo to get the highlights.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Derek Davison interview on the Iran Deal and broader ME-facing foreign policy was pretty incredible.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dolash posted:

that guy from Jacobin but it was pretty much fine.

Connor Kilpatrick - don't think he gave a great interview but you should pick up the Civil War + Reconstruction issue of Jacobin, which he edited. It's great.

Speaking of which Jacobin has a $17.89 subscription sale for Bastille Day today lol.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The hosts are all pretty obviously former goons.

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/692940857293606912

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/583864268640149504

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/730052826928431104

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
My problem with the show is it compounds my own worst impulses - scrolling through Twitter and accruing disgust at media liberals, and ineffectually railing against them despite the fact that they're relatively powerless.

I'd like to see them bring in more outcast academics like Davison and more hard core activists, in the same way I'd like to see most sharp, young lefty people (and just young lefty people, like me) focus less on ephemeral bullshit and more on organizing and deep reading.

Just one man's hot take here.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Seems they took my advice and effected a coup, nice.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

emdash posted:

on twitter, they're hinting that Davison may be back on to talk Turkey (heh) this week

Awesome. His blog is worth checking out btw - https://attwiw.com

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Jeet Heer has been tweeting about the show. I've subscribed to the New Republic throughout his tenure there (since the Franklin Foer era), and have a pretty good sense of how he thinks about his editorial selections. I would bet money on a Chapo article in TNR's next issue, which will be :lol: given that magazine's history as the centrist dweeb rag of all centrist dweeb rags.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

emdash posted:

Lol one of the offsite LFs is mentioned in the mailbag

The Rhizzone is a guilty pleasure of mine.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Hulk Krogan posted:

Was this the bit about irony Stalinists?

Yes.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Puppy Galaxy posted:

did they reference the "permabanned poster n*ggerstomper58" post at one point or is my brain just broken? i think someone said "i'm permabanned user .." and trailed off.

They've definitely made tweets to that effect, scroll through my post history ITT. (Sorry I'm phone posting or I'd dig it up for you).

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lmao I figured he would see this.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Will and Matt's Alex Jones voices are fuckin hilarious.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oh my god Matt Christman's Philly accent is terrible lmao he just sounds like a chav

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
God the adventures of Rawdog Ross are unbearably hilarious

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
As far as I can remember, yes.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/gerardditrolio/status/765046316204494848

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Trap House is for the children.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Literally posted:

I like the Bruenigs more because the most insufferable, lovely people despise them.

I love them. Matt's writing at Demos was so good, and Elizabeth was the highlight of The New Republic while she was there (I let my sub lapse after she left).

It's crazy how frequently I see Matt's charts pop up online considering how under-the-radar he's flown since the BaTanden Death March.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/sseagalofficial/status/766095964180328448

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Molly Klein is melting down about the Trapstars on Twitter right now, for connoisseurs of Tankie Rage.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol Davison.

Also, Red Kahina is giving some rather questionable tax advice:

https://twitter.com/itstonynow/status/767865364797616128

I kind of feel bad for her in a weird way.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The name comes from the Soviet tanks that were used to halt the protofascist democratic revolutions in Hungary, 1956 and Prague, 1968. "Tankies" are those who justify those endeavors, which were / are condemned by most Western leftists.

Anyway I think Taryn Fivek is interesting. Molly Crabapple is a snitch and a warmongerer, imo.

More hilarious is the Neera Tanden meltdown tonight, which I'd consider Chapo-adjacent content.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Has the House had a black guest yet?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

goodog posted:

Ben Carson.

Lmao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

chaos rhames posted:

Have they had Carl Beijer yet? He's great and a Grey Wolf.

Yeah, Episode 5. He has a really pronounced accent, Baltimore I believe.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Hulk Krogan posted:

Carl Beijer is not, in fact, black. He just had Allen Iverson as his twitter avi for a long time.
If that was sarcasm and I'm being that rear end in a top hat explaining the joke, I'm sorry.

Hahaha oh my god it didn't even occur to me that someone might interpret that as him being black.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Imagine being such a good ally that you don't recognize Allen Iverson.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm Stalin being interviewed by HG Wells.

Also, speaking of guests ~ I can think of a guy with a big personality and firsthand Middle East experience, not to mention a heavyweight internet status. Not just that, he's ready to tell his story.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
This will always be the funniest one of these

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Atrocious Joe posted:

Did the Saudis get Felix's twitter account suspended again?

Somebody did lol. I feel like people were making GBS threads on Extremely Not Weird Guy Arthur Chu today, maybe that was the cause?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
This account owns

https://twitter.com/pastvox/status/768877156495532032

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yeah there was a list for a while that users could download and autoblock ~*The Bernie Bros*~.

It was basically if you followed at least three out of a list of five or six people, you got added to the list. Think the Bro Chieftains included Liz Bruenig (a vicious bro), Matt Bruenig, Connor Kilpatrick, and maybe Amber Frost and a few others in that general circle. I would venture to guess that almost anyone listening to the Trap House got caught in that blocklist.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

dangerdoom volvo posted:

What are all these names

A waste of brain space tbh.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/carlbeijer/status/768951900720992256

:rip:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yep, that's Freddie. He abandoned social media last week - for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Haha does anyone remember that video of him addressing an audience and play-acting as a child rapist or some poo poo as part of a seminar? That would be a good thing to post.